Start8 Now Cost $5

I used a coupon which knocked off $1. Not sure how much longer the coupon is going to work, so if you're thinking of buying Start8, do it now! :)

WK4-MYLR-QLXP-BOOW

If you expect that fart app to be Free and say so, then don't cry as you are when people get annoyed that you change your mind and decide to charge for it, after as i said, stating it would be free.

That's what most of the annoyance is about.

As many others have stated, just use other software. This already isn't the only software that has this functionality, and there will be many more in the future that are even better.

Even samsung was testing with their own program.

Remember back when Object dock was the best dock? Then we got Rocketdock, and others that were free, did the same stuff, and even more.

I posted a response to the post I quoted, which talks about the functionality, not the general annoyance towards the 'broken promise'

Thank you! I can imagine the number of people griping about paying $5 for this, then tomorrow walking into Starbucks and plunking down $4.85 for a hot brown beverage with some fancy toppings. A beverage! That will be drunk and disposed of in a matter of 20 minutes.

Word

This is not an outrage. I see it as fair enough. They are providing something which might be needed by millions. I don't see anything wrong in asking for 5 bucks as a one time fee for a lifetime of less headache. :)

There's no spyware in start8, so why did you pull the spyware card out?

Oh it's awwwwwwwwwn now!

Also, thanks for that coupon, I might just invest in a copy now!

Edit : Actually, scrap that... I already have Object Desktop and didn't realise it included it, sweet!

Vistart8 is a free start menu software for Windows 8. It mimics the Start menu of Windows 7, but unlike Start 8, it doesn't show metro apps, only desktop apps.

I've spend my share of 0,99$ to much more than that on my iPad, Nexus 7 and even on other Stardock software....

The problem is not the 5$ asked for Start8, it's the fact that Stardock said the software would be FREE and well, they changed their mind.

I guess they saw the sale and profit potencial of Start8 and decided to ask money for it. I just think it's false advertising (from the interview they gave on Neowin).

I kinda wanna see how start8 is on server 2012.... debating....

I tried out Vistart8 and the start button was miscolored compared to the rest of the task bar. Overall, it didn't really seem that great.

I installed the Start8 trial and it seems much better. Though it says the trial runs out in 15 days, so I'll probably end up buying it as it makes Win8 a little less of a nightmare.

It's funny how resistant to change people are and go as far as to say that the start screen actually hurts productivity. It takes the same amount of clicks to do anything other than the power menu, but how often do you use that power menu?

And then you all go so far to install all these programs and tweaks. What a waste of time. Just spend 5 minutes learning how to do it in Windows 8 and save a lot of frustration.

vistart is crap so far don't even bother....any skinpacks trigger smartscreen and the main exe wants to install crapware.

Classic shell.... can't change to custom button without it looking like crap.... it cuts the top and bottom off no matter what size it is... even tried using custom sizing....

I will now try the stardock solution.....

Ok, start 8 looks and feels the best so far.... very very nice. I have to say for 5 bucks to get that back isn't terrible... it's the price of a coffee or a premium android app. If they accept paypal without any problems I will get it.

got any others you can recommend?

well mine did.... I even downloaded exact dimension image for it... still same... hmmmm.

vistart is crap so far don't even bother....any skinpacks trigger smartscreen and the main exe wants to install crapware.

Classic shell.... can't change to custom button without it looking like crap.... it cuts the top and bottom off no matter what size it is... even tried using custom sizing....

I will now try the stardock solution.....

Ok, start 8 looks and feels the best so far.... very very nice. I have to say for 5 bucks to get that back isn't terrible... it's the price of a coffee or a premium android app. If they accept paypal without any problems I will get it.

got any others you can recommend?

They do accept paypal, that's how I got mine, the newer version has all the functionality that I had on the old start menu, plus better :D

It's funny how resistant to change people are and go as far as to say that the start screen actually hurts productivity. It takes the same amount of clicks to do anything other than the power menu, but how often do you use that power menu?

And then you all go so far to install all these programs and tweaks. What a waste of time. Just spend 5 minutes learning how to do it in Windows 8 and save a lot of frustration.

Have you even tried start8? it's speed far exceeds the start screen, you're more like the other kind of guy that when a new thing comes it always says "ok" and don't look for ways to improve your own experience.

http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/

:whistle:

This shall do the trick for most of you,

Or just keep 7. I don't see the point in getting 8 just to convert it to Windows 7. 7's explorer kills multimonitor support too. You can get software, freeware even, to mount VHD, ISO, and IMG files, pop it into 7 and you're off.

Converting 8 into 7 defeats the purpose of 8 to begin with. $40 just for 3 seconds off boot time? I mean really, why would you even get 8 if you aren't going to use 8 for what it is?

aww I see you need 3 images stitched together to make that work right... awww. thanks

got a metro one?