Do all PS3 Systems have the same Technical Specs?

Planning on buying a PS3, never actually bough one for my self, I've always been a Xbox kind of guy, but with all the cool games for PS3 i thought it would be good to buy one therefore comes the Question, Do all PS3 have the same Spec? if no Which Of the three version is better.

Excuse my spelling if wrong, English is my second language

Thanks in advance

Each console revision is slightly different, but basically the same. Similar to the Xbox.

The big differences that you run into based on older to new is the removal of backwards compatibility and such. The earliest models had that built-in. The newer models do not.

There are also some port changes and such, but in general a PS3 is a PS3 is a PS3.

Each console revision is slightly different, but basically the same. Similar to the Xbox.

The big differences that you run into based on older to new is the removal of backwards compatibility and such. The earliest models had that built-in. The newer models do not.

There are also some port changes and such, but in general a PS3 is a PS3 is a PS3.

Thanks

i really though there was a difference Difference between the two

Thanks

i really though there was a difference Difference between the two

PS3's have different hard drive sizes for sale, They have the slim and the really slim one, different port configurations with different reversions but as the above said, it's a PS3 no matter what.

Agreed, at this point I'd just pick up the newest revision as its the smallest. Unless of you can find a deal on the current version.

I like the new console, don't you think some problem might come up with it later on,

Yeah, as far as RAM/CPU/GPU/drive speed, they're all the same.

Bells & whistles, there are differences (USB ports, power usage, drive size [tho this is customizable, you can substitute any 2.5" laptop drive up to 1TB], etc.)

An original launch PS3 will play the same current-gen games that a new PS3 would.

The first editions of PS3 had very ****ty PS2 emulation capabilities, apart from that they should be functionally all the same. And for PS2 emulation (on the PC) there is PCSX2 with its magic, so....

The first editions of PS3 had very ****ty PS2 emulation capabilities, apart from that they should be functionally all the same. And for PS2 emulation (on the PC) there is PCSX2 with its magic, so....

The first editions didn't emulate. They actually had the hardware onboard. A second revision stripped out part of the hardware, so it became partially emulated, and another revision took out even more hardware. Finally Sony just said screw it and removed the ability to play from all models moving forward.

That's why getting one of the very early models is pretty cool actually.

• 1 month later...

All they really ahould do is either build the new super slim with more ram, or at least add an external adapter for some extra ram.

= dreaming...

All they really ahould do is either build the new super slim with more ram, or at least add an external adapter for some extra ram.

= dreaming...

Why would they do that? No one is going to develop a game that only works on the brand new PS3s with more RAM.

Launch model had the most compatibly, the biggest chips and the largest traces, so the most heat and prone to failure. They got the 360 equivalent called YLOD. They also had a tri-diode lens design which was terrible. flaky and expensive to replace.

Sony revised their 60GB models with no PS2 hardware support, just software which reduced compatibly a 20GB smaller drive, and 2 less USB ports. This model had a CD/DVD and a bluray diode; One good for 3 bads.. They also did internal stuff like make the NAND a 16MB NOR chip rather than dual 128MB NAND. The rest of the firmware goes on the HDD, which can create its own problems if you pull it out for whatever reason.

They played with HDD sizes, then revised again and pulled the backwards compatibility completely. Cost cutting measure. likely also reduced some internal circuitry and I think redesigned the lens again for even cheaper production. These were known as 'slims', and are quite reliable units.

They finally released the 4xxx models which are just coming to market, where they reduced everything even further and removed the slot-loading drive.

As for technical spec they all have 256MB ram and a Cell broadband 7 or 8 processor chip running on RISC, 2xbluray/8xdvd, gigabit ethernet, 2.5" user-changable HDD, friendly with USB keyboard/mouse (play unreal tournament with it for example) as well as normal bluetooth headsets. The console is slow though. the updates are still like 175-200MB usually, and their servers dont seem to like more than 5Mbit upload. You need to have the latest to access PSN and you can see http://en.wikipedia....system_software that they have a frequent update schedule.

Example:

bought warhawk and a PS3.

booted up warhawk, had to install new firmware from disc, this took like 3-4 minutes. Fine. Then it HAD to install the game to HDD which took about 10-15 minutes. No its not optional for certain games, so ensure you have the HDD space! Then I connected to PSN, which required another firmware update, which took about 20 minutes to download, install and reboot. Launch game a 2nd time from XMB. Now when the game tried to connect to PSN, it needed a game update which took another 10 minutes to download, install and reboot. By this time I had no interest in playing the game. 45 minutes before the game loaded.. pathetic. Sony ironed out most of those bugs, but coming from a 360 which has no update time longer than 2 minutes - the system is deathly slow.

Mathematically, the PS3 BD drive can read 9MB/s, while the 360 can read at 15.8MB/s, but averages around 10MB/s... However, consider PS3 games can be 20GB plus uncompressed while 360 is limited to around 8GB, the software compression makes a huge speed improvement with a price of graphic reduction.

(yes I could have downloaded the update to USB via my computer while the game was installing or before I even popped it in, I still had to wait 25 minutes for the game to install and update itself aside from the time it took to update the firmware)

Why would they do that? No one is going to develop a game that only works on the brand new PS3s with more RAM.

exactly, the pulled OtherOS to protect IBM in update 3.20 I believe, so the extra ram would be 100% useless from GameOS.