Which Whiskey ?

Last few weeks I've been wanting to try some whiskeys, years ago I was given a glass of whiskey by someones dad, and it was the smoothest nicest thing I have ever tasted, it didn't burn or give you an after-shiver, it was just a really nice smooth warm taste

I've tried a few since and they are all nasty harsh burning tasting things

What sort of whiskey am I looking for ? I have no idea about single malts or anything, I just remember it being easy and tasty to drink

Kind of depends on what kind of whiskey you're after.. there's quite a few and what's tasty for one person could be goat pee for another. But for me, For Scotch, I'm partial to Glenlivet, very smooth. For bourbon it's an easy choice, there's Jack Daniels, and then there's the rest. If I recall, Bushmills Black Bush is a really good Irish whiskey as well.. been a while.

Try Johnnie Walker or Highland park they're easier to drink, theres different types of whiskies the ones that usually burn are the peaty, smoky ones the more fruity ones should be smoother also try adding a tiny bit of water to make them a bit easier to drink.

I usually drink Jamieson's Irish Whiskey if they don't have that then Buschmills then Canadian Club. I've had Shivas before it's ok. Jack is not the greatest quality whiskey. Their honey whiskey is pretty good though.

You want easy to drink then stay away from scotch or single malts those things can grow here on your feet... If you like a sweet aftertaste get some apricot brandy and mix it with one of the whiskies I mentioned above and tastes great. It's my "cough" syrup

I am partial to Islay Whisky and this is two of my favourite Islay Whiskys:

Lagavulin Single Malt is an Islay single malt Scotch whisky produced at Lagavulin on the island of Islay, United Kingdom. The whisky has a powerful, peat-smoke aroma, and is described as being robustly full-bodied, well balanced, and smooth, with a slight sweetness on the palate.

The standard Lagavulin single malt is 16 years old (43%), though they regularly release a 12-year-old cask strength variety, a Distiller's edition finished in Pedro Xim?nez casks, and 25- and 30-year-old varieties. A recent 21-year-old bottling, matured solely in first-fill sherry casks, has been extremely well received by enthusiasts.The name Lagavulin is an anglicization of the Gaelic lag a'mhuilin, meaning "hollow by the mill".

Laphroaig is one of the most strongly flavoured of all Scotch whiskies, and is most frequently aged to 10 years and 18-year-old varieties are common (the 27-, 30- and 40-year-olds are rare and expensive). The company describes their whisky as the most distinctive of Scotch whisky.

There are quiete a few others but I may just get ****ed going through them all!! :laugh:

The word whisky (or whiskey) is an anglicisation of the Gaelic word uisce. Uisge meaning water. Distilled alcohol was known to the medieval Latins as aqua vitae, "water of life"; and as aqua fortis, "strong water".

There are also many jokes about Whisky (Scotch)/Whiskey (Irish):

Your grandfather drowned last week in a vat of whiskey in Dublin Brewery. Some of his co-workers dived in to save him, but he fought them off bravely. We cremated the body and it took three days to put out the fire.
:D
  • Like 2

There are also many jokes about Whisky (Scotch)/Whiskey (Irish):

I was bored last night, so I tied some helium balloons to my whiskey collection.

It certainly raised my spirits.

"P!nk to name baby after favourite whiskey"

I had that same idea years ago when our "LIDL own label" was born.

My wife text me tonight saying she was coming down with something.

I told her unless it was my bottle of whiskey from the bedroom, I'm not interested.

I really enjoy watching wobbly ######.

Putting Whiskey in the bird bath was a great idea.

I was buying some booze for my grandad and I had to phone him to ask, "Do you want Whisky or Whiskey?"

He said; "It's not proper Whiskey unless it's got an E in it."

So now I've got to find a dealer as well.

As I sat there taking a swig of whiskey to calm my nerves, I thought to myself;

'Why's the examiner getting out of the car?'

As I watched my missus neck down my ten year old bottle of whiskey straight from the bottle, I thought to myself, she'll have trouble getting out of bed in the morning.

I broke both of her legs.

• Like 2

Bowmore is one of the best with a smooth peaty taste. 12 - 40 years old (40 year is $2400.00 and very rare)

Good scotch is meant to be taken in small sips, cheap stuff has to be guzzled as it tastes like crap.

http://www.bowmore.com/

Hope that helps

p.s. I was born in Letham, Scotland and had a mispent youth drinking scotch.

• Like 2

Last few weeks I've been wanting to try some whiskeys, years ago I was given a glass of whiskey by someones dad, and it was the smoothest nicest thing I have ever tasted, it didn't burn or give you an after-shiver, it was just a really nice smooth warm taste

I've tried a few since and they are all nasty harsh burning tasting things

What sort of whiskey am I looking for ? I have no idea about single malts or anything, I just remember it being easy and tasty to drink

What you were given was Old Parr http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Parr-Scotch-Year-750ML/dp/B005HQNFEU

Goes best with a cigar, enjoy!

I like Glenlivet 18-year, so very smooth and lovely. Has that warm feeling you are describing.

Jura Origin (10 year) is another one I'm partial to, it's a lighter one that almost has a honey-ish aftertaste (but not overpowering, just a lingering sense), good for when you want a lighter flavour.

Edit: Almost forgot about "regular" whisky! As others have suggested, Makers Mark is pretty nice. Gentleman Jack is too.

Jack Daniel's White label or Maker's Mark. Both are great stuff.

Seriously dude, Jack isn't scotch and Maker's Mark is even further from scotch. They can't be mentioned in the same breath. Sacrilege old boy, Robbie Burns would have your balls for garters! :laugh:

Seriously dude, Jack isn't scotch and Maker's Mark is even further from scotch. They can't be mentioned in the same breath. Sacrilege old boy, Robbie Burns would have your balls for garters! :laugh:

This thread is about whiskey not scotch. I was giving my opinion about the OP. Not scotch.