Adding third monitor

Question

My current setup includes two side-by-side monitors and I think it's perfectly sized workspace. However, I recently aquired another LCD and I don't really need the expansion of the workspace. However, what interests me, is if there's some way to use the third monitor for something like monitoring network/server/torrent/PC... performance? That is, hooked to the primary computer, but in a way that wouldn't allow me to ''jump'' form Monitor 1 to Monitor 2 to Monitor 3, but rather kep expanded worksapce on 2 monitors and the 3rd would be accessible only via some other method.

Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

A cheap, second gfx card plugged into a spare slot would give you a connection for the 3rd monitor. Windows will recognise it as monitor 3 and you should be able to expand your desktop onto it. I don't think you can do "expanded" plus "single" within windows, but your gxf card drivers might allow such an option if it's possible.

Nah, not the solution I need. My GPU has 4 outputs anyway, so I can plug it in normally. I'd like the 3rd monitor to, for example show some statistic for network perfromance or something, but to be otherwise inaccessible via mouse.

Nah, not the solution I need. My GPU has 4 outputs anyway, so I can plug it in normally. I'd like the 3rd monitor to, for example show some statistic for network perfromance or something, but to be otherwise inaccessible via mouse.

I don't think you can do this; you can get a simple linux network monitoring box plugged into the 3rd screen to give you the info.