you won't be able to play used games on the new xbox

I heard from a few sources that you won't be able to play used games on the new xbox.... is this correct???

I heard from a few sources that you won't be able to play used games on the new xbox.... is this correct???

It's a rumor. We have no idea, but it's unlikely unless they no longer sell discs. The lawyers would have plenty of business over it.

They had the same rumour last time with the 360 and PS3, if they go fully digital it would be true, but I doubt they could legally do that

with discs, but laws are meant to be bought so it would be easy enough for them to change.

If it is true, it would mean F 'em, and I wouldn't get it, even if they did add it in combination of mostly digital, I wouldn't purchase it out of spite.

I'm already upset with the lack of physical media on the PC for games, But is also understandable with the size of games these days. Not good if you have a slow connection. I miss the days of hugging that cd box ,going home to open a fresh new game... ahh those days.

I'm already upset with the lack of physical media on the PC for games, But is also understandable with the size of games these days. Not good if you have a slow connection. I miss the days of hugging that cd box ,going home to open a fresh new game... ahh those days.

yeah wouldn't get a patch for two months, they barely did anything, the second patch was the important one, the third cleaned up any remaining crap...

I don't miss those days.

Back in the day when games actually gave you manuals and sometimes game art booklets without it being a limited edition that costs 20-30 dollars more.

yeah wouldn't get a patch for two months, they barely did anything, the second patch was the important one, the third cleaned up any remaining crap...

I don't miss those days.

You can't compare that, these days they use online patching as an excuse to not do proper development and testing time in the first place

Their attitude seems to be, push it out the door, if it sells good enough we'll patch it(maybe), it's not a good business practice.

The technology exists with both Sony and Microsoft able to do this, however, there haven't turned this on.

This is something several big game publishers want, but feel they don't risk turning on until they feel it won't backlash on them as bad.

Several publisher's are trying to push the consumer as far as they can, little by little.

It's a rumor. We have no idea, but it's unlikely unless they no longer sell discs. The lawyers would have plenty of business over it.

What would lawyers argue exactly? They would be arguing that steam is illegal because I bought a game there and can't sell it to someone else, or the mobile apps markets are illegal for the same reason. Good luck with that one.

If they do this would put places like gamestop out of business. And for large game sizes, why not just put a 1 TB in a slim?

Yes, it will slowly put them and likewise shops out of business. Their niche will go the way of the dodo I'm afraid, it's just progress.

Broadband access has gotten many times faster since the arrival of the PS3/XBox 360 and I can see why they want to do this (full virtual store implementation). I'm sure the next consoles will be the last time physical media will ever be required. So for each game you'll have a registration to your account, and that's locked in for good.

that would put every game rental place out of business an cause a lawsuit. i call BS

finally after the 5th time it sent. Neowin is getting so slow. I hit send and it takes forever to actually do it or i gotta refresh and type it again

What separates Steam from the likes of larger publishers is that they offer you the chance to get new games at the price of used. That's a win-win to everybody except the resellers.

What would lawyers argue exactly? They would be arguing that steam is illegal because I bought a game there and can't sell it to someone else, or the mobile apps markets are illegal for the same reason. Good luck with that one.

Don't ask me my friend the lawyer is the one who was telling me it.

Personally I value his opinion at least slightly more than anyone elses, anyway.

You can't compare that, these days they use online patching as an excuse to not do proper development and testing time in the first place

Their attitude seems to be, push it out the door, if it sells good enough we'll patch it(maybe), it's not a good business practice.

I haven't had a problem with anything but the Dragon Age series lately in that regards.

This will never happen, at least for this upcoming generation anyway. I think the only thing we may see more of is what ea did with the online pass. Not sure how much money it brought in for ea but I'm sure other companies want something from used sales.

• Like 1

If your on about used games as in people trading in games then there is no real way to stop this that i can see, and anything they could think up would soon get cracked some way just like everything else has been cracked look at the silver bullet and xdg3 cracked!

As for the doing away with dvds etc i dont think it would be feasible yet, not unless they started to release games consoles with 1-2tb drives and/or options of using external hard drives but of cause this could/would mean people would want to take there downloaded games round friends houses so how would the game be locked to a console and stopped from sharing giving away? The only system they could use which still gets cracked is the steam way you need to be logged into an account to download and play the game...

The only other alternative which i dont think would work at the moment is bufffering game data as you played online, but i dont see that working well in areas that have bad internet (not everyone has superfast internet) or those that dont want/need there console connected to the internet all the time like me, i dont play online with my xbox.

Anyway im tired so im gonna go play some borderlands... what you thought i was going bed? Naaaah its just turned 5am im going out at 9am and be in the pub at 12pm :p

I haven't had a problem with anything but the Dragon Age series lately in that regards.

It's a problem with a lot of EA games, not just Dragon Age. I suspect they push the developers and make them release it before it's ready

Quick cash and run, then when people stop buying the games from that developer because EA turned them to crap, they close it down

And go purchase the next guys. /minirant

PS: Can you tell I have no love for EA? heh

• Like 1

I can see every game coming with some kind of pass (like some companies have passes to play online). They could make it part of the disc, put it in to the console and it immediately absorbs that pass. Want to play the game on another console? Buy a new pass.

As for completely killing the rental/second hard market, seems unlikely.

There was a time when this would have gotten me up in arms but tbh it wouldnt surprise me and both MS and sony are likely colluding to ensure the principle applies to both otherwise its a clear advantage of one over the other.

It's a problem with a lot of EA games, not just Dragon Age. I suspect they push the developers and make them release it before it's ready

Quick cash and run, then when people stop buying the games from that developer because EA turned them to crap, they close it down

And go purchase the next guys. /minirant

PS: Can you tell I have no love for EA? heh

It's a problem I haven't noticed with any other EA games, at any rate. I guess that's about all I can say there.

I'd be surprised if EA had any more major acquisitions in the cards. They put enough into Bioware they'll be trying to make that back for a few years yet.

I have not had any problems with DA or any other EA game as far as that goes but the is for PC as I do not game on my consoles. I have a Xbox 360 that is in its box in a closet and I only use my PS3 as a media server though PS3 media server so for me even if they locked the game disc to the console it is installed on it would not bother me one bit they are not what I choose to game on. I would pull out the Xbox 360 if another Halo comes out for it but that is it and only because it will not be on PC.

Complain all you want about the way games are patched now a days but I remember having to wait a month or two after a game was released to get a copy of Maximum PC CD/DVD edition just to get the patch for a game. And some times they were not playable until the patch came out. It was that or try to download it on a 56k dial up that seemed to always disconnect after about 80% and I would have to start over. Hell I still have a t-shirt from Microsoft for speeding allnight downloading IE I just do not remember which version it was anymore its been so long.

Ha ha I was involved with the IE 5 launch... wild times.....

you can still do that....

It's a problem I haven't noticed with any other EA games, at any rate. I guess that's about all I can say there.

I have not had any problems with DA or any other EA game as far as that goes but the is for PC as I do not game on my consoles. I have a Xbox 360 that is in its box in a closet and I only use my PS3 as a media server though PS3 media server so for me even if they locked the game disc to the console it is installed on it would not bother me one bit they are not what I choose to game on. I would pull out the Xbox 360 if another Halo comes out for it but that is it and only because it will not be on PC.

I've had loads of problems with various EA games, but it's not just them, Fable 3 was a mess on release, game breaking glitches.

I never had these problems playing older games back in the day, Zork, Monkey Island series, Loom(hell all the LucasArts adventure games), Stunts, Nascar/Indy racing, Doom, RoTT, etc.

But it is true I play a lot more games these days, having the money to actually get them and not rely on parents to get them for me.