Apple Acknowledges iPhone 5 Camera Problem, Says You

After initially denying it, Apple has acknowledged the iPhone 5's purple flare camera problem in an email to a Gizmodo reader. Their solution: "Angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures."

Here's their complete answer:

Dear Matt,

Our engineering team just gave me this information and we recommend that you angle the camera away from the bright light source when taking pictures. The purple flare in the image provided is considered normal behavior for iPhone 5's camera. If you wish to reach me regarding this case number *********, please contact me at 1-877-***-**** ext. *******. I currently work Thursday-Monday: 7:00am - 3:30pm Mountain Time. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name, phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. Email is ***********@apple.com.

Sincerely,

Debby

AppleCare Support

Long time Gizmodo reader Matt Van Gastel received this email after a long call with Apple support regarding the Purple Flare problem in his phone, which apparently is a feature common to every iPhone 5:

Initially I was told that it shouldn't happen and that it is strange. My call was escalated to a senior support individual who again said it was odd and shouldn't happen. I sent her some pics of the issue and she in turn sent them to the engineering team.

Her final response is what you can see at the top of this article. Some photography experts have speculated that the purple flare is a product of the sapphire glass covering the iPhone 5's camera.

iphone5-vs-iphone4.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

So it is final, folks: Apple says that, if your photos have a purple flare, this is totally normal behavior of the iPhone 5's camera. You are just holding it wrong.

Also, it's not Apple's fault that the Sun is purple.

Source: Gizmodo

Apple's R&D really sucks these days. I remember when they released products with little to no issues at all. They just, worked. Now it seems that with each product they release, more and more problems.

Apple's R&D really sucks these days. I remember when they released products with little to no issues at all. They just, worked. Now it seems that with each product they release, more and more problems.

How is that an R&D issue? Seems to me the company is lacking in QC.

Apple just need to market this as a feature - something along the lines of "White is boring, therefore iphone turns sun purple. Cool. Refreshing. Artistic. Amazing. It just works, and boy have we patented it.".

Everybody would demand all cameras turn sun purple.

If it affects them all, it's R&D. If it only affects some, it'll be QC.

Either way, it shouldn't be happening, although a purple sun is rather cool...

If the product was developed properly to begin with...there wouldnt be issues like this. And Apple dismissing any problem is funny.

Seems like the camera software is boosting the exposure to compensate for "low light" at all times instead of just actual low light conditions. :/

That's better, I thought there was a change in attitude from Tim Cooks apology. Fingers crossed a software update can compensate for this flaw

Lumia 920 is looking better all the time.

The Lumia 920 can have the best camera of any smartphone and it would still not appeal to me. It is has hidious blue tile metro look that all Windows phone 7 have. Now if it had vanilla Android on it; I could see myself considering buying it.

Reminds me of a joke someone told on here a long time ago, when Apple's iPhone reception was the problem.

"Two iPhones got married. It was a beautiful ceremony, but the reception was awful. Apparently they held it in the wrong place."

Lol.

• Like 3

It amazes me that users keep putting up with their crap. I'd be completely insulted if I was told that I was doing something wrong when the device is faulty.

Can you guys just think of apple for a second, how do you think they feel knowing after the antenna debacle that you guys - their users - still don't know how to hold a phone correctly! I'm sure its very frustrating for them :p

iSheep are funny, you all rile against Apple over issues usually after Apple admits there's a problem, prior that that you defend them over anything, yet you keep buying their crap, stop being sheep and go buy a quality handset at this point WP7/8 are a better option over the iCrap, or better yet go Android and enjoy actually using your device

Anyone notice how bad the tree leaves look on the iPhone4? It caught my attention anyway...

That said, this is not good. I'd agree it's a flaw in the design, not in the device.

I wonder if the designers took into account that light travels differently in saphire than glass? For example did you know that light travels much, much slower in diamond than glass?

iSheep are funny, you all rile against Apple over issues usually after Apple admits there's a problem, prior that that you defend them over anything, yet you keep buying their crap, stop being sheep and go buy a quality handset at this point WP7/8 are a better option over the iCrap, or better yet go Android and enjoy actually using your device

So much hatred. Find something to do with your life. Its a god damn piece of electronic. People have choices, stfu and deal with it. Also android actually working hahahahahahaha. I will only buy an android phone, when a root / roms are available, because god knows manufacturers cant support it. How many phones havent even gotten updated to jelly bean right away, instead of 8+ months after release? lmao.

If anything go windows phone 8, microsoft is best of both worlds atm. They let anyone make the device, but you have to follow specific rules like "18 month commitment to software updates".

Thats more like it. Not 5 phones every other month and forget about the flagship that existed. If I buy android, itll be an Galaxy Nexus 2 or whatever the next one is, has to be googled branded because it will be supported the best / longest. But, the HTC 8X is looking pleasing every day.

I noticed this problem this past weekend. I was taking pictures and if i held the camera too close to the light shinning through the window, everything turned purple!! This is a MAJOR problem!!

The Lumia 920 can have the best camera of any smartphone and it would still not appeal to me. It is has hidious blue tile metro look that all Windows phone 7 have. Now if it had vanilla Android on it; I could see myself considering buying it.

Something tells me that you don't know a thing about Windows Phone in general and basic customization in particular.

• Like 3

I noticed this problem this past weekend. I was taking pictures and if i held the camera too close to the light shinning through the window, everything turned purple!! This is a MAJOR problem!!

just tell people it's a new instagram filter...

Cool, built in Instagram! :p

Meh... I'm a happy iPhone 5 owner, I haven't experienced this so far...

Not to say it won't, just that the issue isn't like streaking through all my pictures or anything...

Glassed Silver:mac

Going to say my Iphone 5 fixed the horrible grainy images my iPhone 4s was generating. So the camera for me at least is much better so far...