Notch reacts to a Neowin article: 'Don't be a goat rapist'

no but his game depends on java... which is crap.

Java itself is pretty damn good, but it's no a language suited for games. Or rather not the language itself but the "engine".

I agree with everything he said. However there's another thing that threatens the 'Open PC', and that's Microsoft's demands that OEM's use a secure boot bios/UEFI. I want to be able to run any OS I choose on a PC. I don't want to be locked down.

You are free to not use Windows 8. No-one is putting a gun to your head demanding that you do.

Most often when someone has a position that is irrational, hypocritical, and based on emotion rather than facts as John's article pointed out in reference to "Notch" (Johnson? Son of the Beach? Anyone?) politely and without any personal attack, it does no good to try and reason with them.

If they used such means to arrive at their position in the first place, they will often simply use the same means to interpret and respond to the argument you present to them. It's not a conscious decision on their part, but as evidenced in their initial position, it's just the result of the methodology of their process of thought.

Still, it's a noble effort to try. Good try John.

Which doesn't mean anything.

it does when it's so bad people are afraid to install it.

it does when it's so bad people are afraid to install it.

Every piece of software gets holes in it. How many has Microsoft had in theirs and no one is complaining? I'll admit, they have gotten better, but everyone is always talking up MSE, and I've seen many infected machines with it.

If you follow the right steps to protect yourself, the risks are minimal.

Every piece of software gets holes in it. How many has Microsoft had in theirs and no one is complaining? I'll admit, they have gotten better, but everyone is always talking up MSE, and I've seen many infected machines with it.

If you follow the right steps to protect yourself, the risks are minimal.

No antivirus replaces common sense, which is sadly lacking on most users of infected machines.

Oracle decides which platforms to support and for how long.

You see, building an application using Java is a cross-platform advantage, but in a way you depend on them supporting your PC OS for how long you need the applications to run that use Java.

So in a way, they kind of decide the fate of your apps, too.

Fortunately you are not entirely dependant on Oracle. There are other Java runtime environments that are not controlled by them, like openjre.

Java itself is pretty damn good, [...]

Yea cause thats why Google has finally started to smarten up and move away from a Java based SDK for Android... :rolleyes:

Java (or rather the JVM) is highly insecure, slow and a bloody resource hog...

• Like 3

I still can't figure out how Notch misconstrued John's post as a "personal attack". I would count my blessings if every "personal attack" directed at me was that articulate and pre-apologetic.

Pure arrogance and disrespect of the fans.... I have said this many times on the OA and I will repeat here for those that didn't:

Notch is being arrogant and putting his ego first and not the players of minecraft..... if the fans want it then he should do what the fans want.... regardless of what platform it's on.... regardless of whether he likes the store idea or not... that's one part of being a developer, sometimes you have to put your own interests aside to make your users happy.... and this is where he epically fails.... my hubby doesn't care about windows 8, yet he knew about this and thought notch was being a douchenozzle about the whole thing... he is... he's arrogant and he needs to get his head out of his buttox.

Can't Windows 7 version of Minecraft be used on Windows 8?

If it can be used then where's the problem ?

If it can't be uised then maybe the problem is the OS and not him.

Fortunately you are not entirely dependant on Oracle. There are other Java runtime environments that are not controlled by them, like openjre.

Unless it's a enterprise versions, not officially sanctioned by Oracle.

No. Just...no.

And your actual argument and experiences with Java ? oh that's right, standard regurgitated anti java crap from peopel who don't know what Java even is.

Yea cause thats why Google has finally started to smarten up and move away from a Java based SDK for Android... :rolleyes:

Java (or rather the JVM) is highly insecure, slow and a bloody resource hog...

Relevance, to the issue at hand is ? you don't think that has more to do with the Oracle/Java vs Google ware going... no, couldn't possibly be.

And how is it a resource hog ? I the JVM takes it's resources but those are the same whether you run 1 or 50 apps. and Java apps themselves are no worse than other apps. in fact there was a test way back in the mid 2000 and Java on certain apps did in fact outperform native code.

Face it, it's no longer 1998. The only valid complaint is security, but then Java was the first to incorporate modern security features. and while holes have been detected, yes. but holes are detected in everything else as well. it just so happens that Java holes affect a whole lot more people than most other security holes.

Wow. Never thought that I'd ever see a Java fanboy. :|

Java is one of the greatest threats to Internet security (Adobe Reader is why up the list too).

• Like 2

Don't lose your time HawkMan. Trying to remotely say Java is not totally crap on Neowin will get you nowhere.

Java as its flaws. And imo all Java Applets should be killed if there's still remaining out there.

But java as a whole is okay. It's a nice language and is often the best option out there when portability is required in a small amount of time.

I've been asked once to write server app that needed to be run on linux server and windows server. I had 2 days at most to write it. It was done in Java cause it was the only real option out there to acheive this.

Java is one of the greatest threats to Internet security (Adobe Reader is why up the list too).

You do realise Java is not only for web app right ?

I personally think the Neowin article was rather childish (mind you I don't play MineCraft)

I could say the same thing about Notch too especially when what he keeps talking about is false

I'm not a fanboy, I don't have irrational hate. and how is it one of the rgeatest threats... everythign else including html 5 has similar security holes, known and fixed and unknown.

Don't lose your time HawkMan. Trying to remotely say Java is not totally crap on Neowin will get you nowhere.

Java as its flaws. And imo all Java Applets should be killed if there's still remaining out there.

But java as a whole is okay. It's a nice language and is often the best option out there when portability is required in a small amount of time.

I've been asked once to write server app that needed to be run on linux server and windows server. I had 2 days at most to write it. It was done in Java cause it was the only real option out there to acheive this.

You do realise Java is not only for web app right ?

Well most of them never even heard of enteprise is, much less any concept of what it is and what enterprise programming is.

personally (by using yoru same irrational logic) I'd say firefox is the rgeatest threat to internet security, it's used a lot more than java by a large part of the internet public. and not only does it have several security holes that haven't been found yet. it has had uncountable security holes fixed over the years, in fact more security holes than java. and even worse than that, it can be used to trick users using phishing attacks... :|

I'm not a fanboy, I don't have irrational hate. and how is it one of the rgeatest threats... everythign else including html 5 has similar security holes, known and fixed and unknown.

HTML5 is a software package? Can I install it now? ;)

I fully admit a lot of my distaste for Java is based on their long history rather than current issues, but I will not install it on any machine I own.

I fully admit a lot of my distaste for Java is based on their long history rather than current issues, but I will not install it on any machine I own.

where can you download html5?

It's not quite available yet, but it should be soon http://html5.net/ :p

Notch had a good idea.

That is all. Period.

Minecraft is one of the worst examples of Java programming ever conceived. Notch sucks at programming - badly.

Java applications must be brilliant if that's the worse example of one ever conceived.

Sure there were some performance issues and few bugs here and there but please don't talk garbage also to your claim of him sucking at programming please back that up with some substance on what exactly he has done wrong so we can all avoid these pitfalls oh wise one.

When did I say it was?