Sarah Brightman outbids NASA for ISS trip

Arrrggghhhh....need-US-spacecraft-NOW!!

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=17384120

Singer Sarah Brightman Outbids NASA for Space Tourist's Seat

What's a rich space tourist to do? If you want to fly in space, seats are harder to find than a flight out of Chicago's O'Hare airport during a blizzard. So your only option is to bump an astronaut from a seat on a Russian Soyuz spacecraft going to the International Space Station.

ABC News has learned that singer Sarah Brightman, of "Phantom of the Opera" fame, will be the next tourist in space, sometime in 2014 or 2015. To get her seat she had to pay the Russian space agency more than the $51 million NASA budgets on average to send its astronauts to the station.

To maintain its presence in orbit when Soyuz seats are limited, NASA had to agree to commit at least one of its astronauts to spend a year in space, instead of the six months they currently stay. Brightman's trip will be announced in Moscow on Oct. 10.

NASA says a year in space has great medical research benefits. Astronauts spending just six months on the space station in the past have suffered from radiation exposure, muscle mass loss, decreased bone density, and vision problems. The research from a year on the space station will help NASA plan for long flights to Mars or an asteroid. It does mean an astronaut will get booted from a flight to adjust for one less seat.

>

Sarah+Brightman.jpg

so one less astronaut for a space tourist? that's like a one less pilot in a commercial flight for one more passenger :/

so one less astronaut for a space tourist? that's like a one less pilot in a commercial flight for one more passenger :/

Not really, a astronaut is trained to do work while a space tourist is just up there to well tour space.

1 year in space, and its not like a alot of rooom to move around in. I dont know if i could handle it.

Sounds like the life of a sysadmin on neowin :p

If i had the money i would do it. However, i do not like the idea of them booting off someone that is doing science, i could understand if there was an extra seat selling it off but thats a bit extreme.

who is this chick and how does she have more than $50mil?

A very famous theatrical & recording singer (soprano) whose voice is considered one of the best in the world. That tends to make someone very, very rich.

• Like 1

A very famous theatrical & recording singer (soprano) whose voice is considered one of the best in the world. That tends to make someone very, very rich.

especially if you are tied to the phantom of the opera

• Like 1

Well, she did lose her heart to a starship trooper all those years ago...

Andrew Lloyd-Webber was hardly the kind of guy you would lose your hear to.

Is Sarah Brightman still fit? Nah saw her current pictures, she got tubby!

****! So jealous!

I would literally let them amputate one of my nuts for a trip into space. It's such a rare thing for us humans to do. I would love to be a part of the small percent that has got to go up there.

As much as i'd love to fly into space, $51 million... holy hell. Still she'll be in for a quite incredible experience!

As much as i'd love to fly into space, $51 million... holy hell. Still she'll be in for a quite incredible experience!

A breath taking death defying experience that almost 99.9% of people in the world will NEVER have. Totally worth any price.

She is a very talented singer from quite a while, I have heard almost all of her albums and she has one of the most beautiful voices that I've heard... one less astronaut, yes... but a great voice up there!

Andrew Lloyd-Webber was hardly the kind of guy you would lose your hear [sic] to.

"I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" predates her marriage to Lloyd Webber by 8 years.

who is this chick and how does she have more than $50mil?

My 5-year-old son has heard of her.

"I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" predates her marriage to Lloyd Webber by 8 years.

My 5-year-old son has heard of her.

"I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" I really like the mix of this song :D