Coffee Linked to Vision Loss

A new Harvard study has discovered a high incidence of vision problems among men and women who drank three or more cups of coffee a day. The research, published in Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, linked heavy consumption of caffeinated coffee with increased likelihood of developing exfoliation glaucoma, an eye disorder that affects about 10 percent of adults over age 50 and can lead to vision loss or blindness.

Specifically, the researchers reported that adults who drank three or cups of coffee daily were 34 percent more likely to develop exfoliation glaucoma, compared to those who abstained from coffee. Women with a family history of glaucoma were at the highest risk, with their threat of exfoliation glaucoma soaring by 66 percent if they quaffed three or more cups of java per day.

Glaucoma, the second leading cause of blindness in the world, affects 60 million people. It is a group of painless diseases that can damage the optic nerve, if untreated. Typically, this damage results from increased pressure within the eye, usually due to fluid buildup.

more

Oh I see whats going on...after winning the war on smoking they are turning their attention to coffee...don't be fooled guys,the tea cartel will stop at nothing.

Drinking coffee is like drinking a hot cup of freedom!

Yeah seems studies have liked being born with dying. Still inconclusive however, not enough correlational data. Test subjects needed.

Okay-- there is the problem...

Study of adults over 50 loosing eyesight... Hrmmm.. My Mom Drinks coffee like a race horse and still has 20/15 at 64. My father on the other hand that just has one cup in the morning at 65 and has 20/40

The problem is they just limited it to coffee drinkers OVER 50. And from what I understand -- people over 50 that is greater odds that glaucoma will happen...than people under 50.

Yes I can say that a population has 80% convicted felons that is if I only do my study in a prison.

I wonder if there are some other factors mixed in, like coffee drinkers excessively watch TV, or work in front of computer monitors.

Well I doubt that makes it worse as the caffeine in coffee does affect your blood pressure and that leads to other things that are chemically linked to it (blood vessels, and therefore the nervous system), but one thing that will build up is your inability to focus on distant objects. Even in my early 30's I've noticed some decay in how my vision tries to gauge distances.

Coffee helps with lots of things and it makes lots of things worse.

I'm sure if you drink enough it'll cancel everything out then. :rofl: To Costa Coffee I go!!!

whatever.... more BS 'studies'....

Heaven forbid scientists investigate a serious medical condition and try to identify what causes it. How dare they! /s

I hate this modern trend for anti-intellectualism and anti-science. This is how science works - knowledge doesn't just come into existence; it doesn't just magically appear in science books. It's a very sad day when scientific research is dismissed out-of-hand. Saying "whatever" isn't 'cool' or 'hip'; it's immature.

Heaven forbid scientists investigate a serious medical condition and try to identify what causes it. How dare they! /s

I hate this modern trend for anti-intellectualism and anti-science. This is how science works - knowledge doesn't just come into existence; it doesn't just magically appear in science books. It's a very sad day when scientific research is dismissed out-of-hand. Saying "whatever" isn't 'cool' or 'hip'; it's immature.

nope... it's these yuppie scum that wanna force thier diet on the world....so they find excuses to scare people into it by publishing these studies....

just like "studies show that people that wear black shirts are more likely to be bad people" just becuase someone hates black and think it's the devils color or some crap like that... will pay people to say that and control people...

it's all about controlling people and not a matter or smart vs dumb.

why are the posts sooo blurry all of a sudden? :p

seriously though, just trying some whole bean seattles best medium blend and it's awesomely smooth

They are just emphasizing on the fact that caffeine in really large amounts causes blurred vision depending on the person.

I hate this trend of studies.

Oh I see whats going on...after winning the war on smoking they are turning their attention to coffee...don't be fooled guys,the tea cartel will stop at nothing.

Drinking coffee is like drinking a hot cup of freedom!

A1 Brother! I've been drinking coffee since I was about 14, and while I've always needed glasses (since 3rd grade), I can't say that my vision has deteriorated. Granted, I'm pretty bad in my right eye, but my vision has remain pretty much unchanged in the past 15 years. Of course, I drink 1-2 cups a coffee a day; one in the morning and sometimes one in the afternoon.

nope... it's these yuppie scum that wanna force thier diet on the world....so they find excuses to scare people into it by publishing these studies....

just like "studies show that people that wear black shirts are more likely to be bad people" just becuase someone hates black and think it's the devils color or some crap like that... will pay people to say that and control people...

it's all about controlling people and not a matter or smart vs dumb.

...Are you high or something?

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. This is just a university study saying if you drink more than 3 cups of coffee a day you might suffer vision loss. They aren't contacting the US government and asking them to ban coffee. Guess what, anything in excess will cause some sort of damage at some point of time in your life.

Universities research stuff, that's one of the reasons why they exist. This is a private university so all its funding comes from students and those students (and professors) decide what they want to research for their degrees.

• Like 1