Coffee Linked to Vision Loss

Man, everything fun seems to cause you to go blind eventually. Oh well, I'm not going to stop masturbating or drinking coffee. :laugh: (My vision is still perfect so far...)

Man, everything fun seems to cause you to go blind eventually. Oh well, I'm not going to stop masturbating or drinking coffee. :laugh: (My vision is still perfect so far...)

I wear glasses at times and I'm not much of a coffee drinker so...... :D

And why exactly is it BS?

there's always some fad study attacking something new we eat or drink every year that people can't prove or they try to skew results in their favor because we might eat or drink something they don't like....

I don't like people eating beans.... or sauerkraut... so I'm gonna fund a study to make them look like they contribute to a small penis.... so people would stop eating them....

• Like 2

there's always some fad study attacking something new we eat or drink every year that people can't prove or they try to skew results in their favor because we might eat or drink something they don't like.... I don't like people eating beans.... or sauerkraut... so I'm gonna fund a study to make them look like they contribute to a small penis.... so people would stop eating them....

I am sorry but that makes you look very ignorant. You have severe trust issues. Not every study done is BS. It just can not be. In science, it is always pertinent that we find a reasoning behind a certain "effect" particularly if science is not able to identify any medical cause behind it. And further, if they do manage to find a direct correlation behind a certain cause and a effect, it is brilliant because then more concentrated efforts can be put into that direction medically.

well sponsors are more then you think.... companies like monsanto so it all the time... they pay people to cover up the bad things GMOs do....

I don't trust the mainstream studies becuase they are all sponsored....

studies also say that people that listen to classical music are smarter... yeah right.... I've seen lots of dumbasses that listen to it that can't even turn a computer on or even know thier own state's capital.... ha!

they also say that all people that listen to EDM music are more likely to do drugs and all that mess and more likely to be in trouble all the time and cause crap... I have a clean record and never wanna do anything destructive....

most of us are the opposite... we are all about peace, love and having a good time and not getting destructive and crap like they say we do....

that's how BS those are...

I am sorry but that makes you look very ignorant. You have severe trust issues. Not every study done is BS. It just can not be. In science, it is always pertinent that we find a reasoning behind a certain "effect" particularly if science is not able to identify any medical cause behind it. And further, if they do manage to find a direct correlation behind a certain cause and a effect, it is brilliant because then more concentrated efforts can be put into that direction medically.

Almost every study that makes the news is BS, or if not complete BS, just some data without any causality discussed.

Yes, there is real science being done, but the news loves to cherry pick from the "oh God I need to do something to get funding to keep my jobs" scientists.

well sponsors are more then you think.... companies like monsanto so it all the time... they pay people to cover up the bad things GMOs do....

And whats so bad about genetically modified food? Monsanto isn't bad because of the food they make. They're bad because they engage in unethical tactics to make sure farmers keep paying them money.

studies also say that people that listen to classical music are smarter... yeah right.... I've seen lots of dumbasses that listen to it that can't even turn a computer on or even know thier own state's capital.... ha!

So if you don't know your states capital you're a dumbass? :rolleyes:

they also say that all people that listen to EDM music are more likely to do drugs and all that mess and more likely to be in trouble all the time and cause crap... I have a clean record and never wanna do anything destructive....

most of us are the opposite... we are all about peace, love and having a good time and not getting destructive and crap like they say we do....

There's a difference between more likely and will do. The study you're talking about (judging by your words anyways) isn't saying people who listen to it will do drugs and go destroy everything, so according to them you can still listen to it without being destructive.

Almost every study that makes the news is BS, or if not complete BS, just some data without any causality discussed.

Well that's because the news exists to earn money. If you want the full facts of the study then go find the original document at Harvard (in this case), don't just read the cherry picked bits on the news.

If you go read the condensed version of the study you'll find they say people who drink the average amount of coffee (125mg of caffeine) aren't at risk of vision loss but those that drink more (500mg+) are. They also go on to say that other caffeinated products (tea, soda) aren't affected.

Yeah, I don't know about this. I know someone who is 65 y/o drinks 6-10 cups of coffee, and does not wear glasses/contacts. He's been doing this all his life. So, how long till another article says coffee is good for us? :p

...and in other news, breathing linked to death. In an exhaustive and very costly study it has been proven that people who breath will ultimately die... :rofl:

One minute coffee is good for you, then its bad for you, then it'll be good again....

Yeah, I don't know about this. I know someone who is 65 y/o drinks 6-10 cups of coffee, and does not wear glasses/contacts. He's been doing this all his life. So, how long till another article says coffee is good for us? :p

It's because every human being is different.

Taking smoking for example. There's a lady who lived to be over a hundred and has smoked for most of her life. But at the same time there's bob the smoker who has smoked for most of his life and died at age 40 due to lung cancer. Or take meds, they have a huge list of side effects but some people will experience none of it other's will experience some of it, and a very few people will experience tons of it. Or for some people the meds will work great, for others it won't do anything.

You can't accurately predict what a substance will do to every single person on earth (well without giving it to every single person). You can only generalize what they'd do to a sample of the population.

Bottom line of this study (like Charisma and others have pointed out) coffee is good for you in moderation, in excess it's harmful. Just like everything else on this earth (too high an oxygen concentration will eventually kill you, too much water will kill you etc etc).

It's because every human being is different.

Taking smoking for example. There's a lady who lived to be over a hundred and has smoked for most of her life. But at the same time there's bob the smoker who has smoked for most of his life and died at age 40 due to lung cancer. Or take meds, they have a huge list of side effects but some people will experience none of it other's will experience some of it, and a very few people will experience tons of it. Or for some people the meds will work great, for others it won't do anything.

You can't accurately predict what a substance will do to every single person on earth (well without giving it to every single person). You can only generalize what they'd do to a sample of the population.

Bottom line of this study (like Charisma and others have pointed out) coffee is good for you in moderation, in excess it's harmful. Just like everything else on this earth (too high an oxygen concentration will eventually kill you, too much water will kill you etc etc).

Yep, all things I know. Moderation moderation moderation!

I drink half of a 10oz. Keuirg coffee everyday. I actually drink more (the full 10oz.) when I wake up rested on the weekend, which is somewhat ironic. At work, it's just something to do, and don't really use it to 'wake up'. There's always breakfast for that. Trying to slowly remove/moderate caffeine in my life - 1 cup of coffee, 2x20fl.oz soda = typical day.

I wonder if there are some other factors mixed in, like coffee drinkers excessively watch TV, or work in front of computer monitors.

I was actually going to say that.. excessive coffee drinkers tend to work in an office or corporate environment and probably spend a lot of time on computers.