Sign in to follow this  

Skydiver to try record-breaking jump from 23 miles up

philcruicks    253

Was live on youtube asnd the redbullstratos site...there gonna have a press conf and interviews in a bit...

Elliot B.    1,151

BBC News 24 showed the whole thing live; it was identical to YouTube's coverage.

Well, it was ahead of the YouTube stream for me...

I feel both would be delayed by at least 10 seconds in case of an incident.

Anibal P    2,017

I feel both would be delayed by at least 10 seconds in case of an incident.

The TV coverage was at least 10 seconds ahead of the official site, I could hear it across the house, whether or not the broadcast was on a short delay, I do not know

Denis W.    723

Amazing event. :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi    1,083

Watched it...it was awesome! Guy has guts, have to give that to 'em! (Y)

DirtyLarry    2,075

So according to the Discovery News live feed the announcer said he might not have actually broken the record for free fall jumping. Hope that turns out not to be the case and he indeed did. All of it was pretty amazing though for sure. Also got a bit scary there when he started spinning pretty seriously. Very cool overall, and just a reminder how man, despite all of our shortcomings, does some remarkable things here and there.

• Like 2

Denis W.    723

So according to the Discovery News live feed the announcer said he might not have actually broken the record for free fall jumping. Hope that turns out not to be the case and he indeed did. All of it was pretty amazing though for sure. Also got a bit scary there when he started spinning pretty seriously. Very cool overall, and just a reminder how man, despite all of our shortcomings, does some remarkable things here and there.

Duration wise, I thought they confirmed he didn't break that record. The records for speed and height from which he jumped from, those are still his.

MightyJordan    4,948

So according to the Discovery News live feed the announcer said he might not have actually broken the record for free fall jumping. Hope that turns out not to be the case and he indeed did.

The YouTube feed said that as well; it said he opened his parachute about 20 seconds before Kittinger's record.

Hum    6,931

Apparently he just landed.

Boring :(

Curses -- foiled again !

(CNN) -- Skydiver Felix Baumgartner landed safely on the ground Sunday after a record-shattering jump from the edge of space.

"He made it -- tears of joy from Mission Control," the team said in a live feed.

Baumgartner left the capsule attached to a huge helium balloon at 128,000 feet -- 24 miles up -- higher than anyone before him.

After an initial free fall, he opened his parachute and glided down to the ground, where he fell to his knees with his fists raised, then stood up, smiling and hugging members of his team.

post-37120-0-63014000-1350241939.jpg

djdanster    594

Damn it! I missed it! Stupid food!

leesmithg    226

From the information I received he failed in achieving the highest drop.

Hum    6,931

It's just a blurry white dot ! :huh:

HawkMan    5,181

He has highest drop, by a LOT. since he got about 3000 meters higher than he was supposed to even.

He also got fastest speed.

He unofficially his highest balloon ride(not officially since he didn't land in it)

He "probably" broke the sound barrier

He did NOT get longest freefall. (I wonder if that is simple because he didn't want to take everything from Kittinger, and it was on purpose...)

nukenorman    44

A European Austrian Citizen took away this title from the American who did this a few decades ago. Congradulations for EU citizen from taking the title away from America.

Marshall    15,354

Watched it...it was awesome! Guy has balls, have to give that to 'em! (Y)

Fixed that for you :D

Astra.Xtreme    2,154

A European Austrian Citizen took away this title from the American who did this a few decades ago. Congradulations for EU citizen from taking the title away from America.

Arrogant much?

Crisp    3,271

Arrogant much?

Jealous much?

Astra.Xtreme    2,154

Jealous much?

Why would I care? I'm not the one talking sh*t here...

The Watcher    6

Why would I care? I'm not the one talking sh*t here...

boy-that-escalated-quickly-anchorman.gif

+FiB3R    1,660
jump.gif
  • Like 10

Charisma    2,388

Was that necessary? :/ Why take away from the accomplishments of the old record holder or the new one by degrading it to a petty taking-sides game? These are people, end of story. (And pretty ballsy ones at that!)

+FiB3R    1,660
61109_4281652793169_690600620_n.jpg
  • Like 6

Nashy    1,377

Impressive stuff. First person to break the sound barrier without use of an aircraft as well I'm pretty sure I read somewhere.

Nebula2020    1

Can someone tell me how the capsule comes back down?

:)