Sign in to follow this  

Man Dies After Roach-Eating Contest

Recommended Posts

qdave    158

Broward Sheriff?s Office detectives are investigating the death of a man who collapsed and died after participating in a roach-eating contest Friday night (Oct. 5).

The grand prize of the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach was a Python. Several contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects for the chance to win the exotic reptile. Shortly after the contest was over, the winner of the challenge, Edward Archbold, 32, wasn?t feeling well and began to regurgitate. He had consumed dozens of roaches and worms. He later collapsed in front of the store. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was later pronounced dead.

None of the other contestants presented any medical issues after the contest.

Archbold?s body was transported to the Broward Medical Examiner?s Office for an autopsy. They are awaiting test results in order to determine a cause of death.

Source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PmRd    291

He's in florida so he's probably going to come back as a face eating zombie. On a more serious note, he probably had an allergic reaction or something like that, the contest in my opinion was unsanitary and just asking for trouble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
remixedcat    2,766

Zombie state whooo hooo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shiranui    1,700

Why do people even stage such events?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Dee    26

Only in America. You have persons desperate to live and work there. Yet you have persons who gladly throw away their lives there on stupidness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hum    6,930

They are awaiting test results in order to determine a cause of death.

Too much salt ... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
welchmen22    2

In Florida you can just go out and catch your own python.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Detection    2,256

Bugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BattleDaggit    77

He should have washed it down with a liquid nitrogen based beverage.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neufuse    2,791

Only in America. You have persons desperate to live and work there. Yet you have persons who gladly throw away their lives there on stupidness.

How did he "throw away his life"? exactly? most people under contest conditions assume the contest is safe... you don't see "how much clorox can you drink!" contests

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ILikeTobacco    839

How did he "throw away his life"? exactly? most people under contest conditions assume the contest is safe... you don't see "how much clorox can you drink!" contests

Not to mention it wasn't like they were eating randomly found insects. Being a pet store, the insects would have been as safe as possible to eat since most pets have little to no room for mistakes when it comes to contaminants. There are places in the world that insects are a regular part of human's daily meals and have zero side effects. It is entirely possible that the contest had nothing to do with his death. At this point, not enough is known to make a ridiculous assertion such as claiming he just "threw his life away."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
f0rk_b0mb    698

That's really odd....what about that Scare factor show on TV? People eat roaches all the time on that show...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArialBlue    395

This will probably get on 1000 Ways To Die as

"Bugged Out!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
webeagle12    874

...

post-56913-0-89596500-1349790081.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ILikeTobacco    839

That's really odd....what about that Scare factor show on TV? People eat roaches all the time on that show...

Its generally safe to eat them assuming they haven't been contaminated in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The King of GnG    181

It's the evolution. It works!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Growled    3,880

Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.