Germany Monitors Skype, Google Mail, Yahoo Mail and Facebook chat

German Government has went a bit too far trying to be transparent and has inadvertently revealed that German police monitors Skype, Google Mail, MSN Hotmail, Yahoo Mail and Facebook chat as and when necessary.

The revelations come as the German Government let out figures of expenses incurred by the Federal Ministry of the Interior following a parliamentary inquiry, which were spotted by the annalist blog. The pages contain a whole lot of tables and as many would find those boring, some pages reveal something very startling. On page 34 and page 37 of the report [PDF], line item 486 and 265 respectively, represent decoding software for Google Mail, MSN Hotmail, Yahoo Mail for prevention and investigation.

Similar is the case for line item 247 on page 37 which talks about a monitoring system for Skype. Further, money is also spent by the ministry on Trojan viruses known as IMSI catchers which are used for "man-in-the-middle" attacks on mobile phones used by German police.

http://paritynews.com/government/item/415-confirmed-germany-monitors-skype-google-mail-yahoo-mail-and-facebook-chat

The internet got lame when governments realized its existence.

Glassed Silver:mac

we need to realize that is not about a country anymore, is the govermnent vs the ppl. I wonder how is might work againt them, I mean, if every single person is a suspect, then, any member of the opposite party is a suspect and every "documents", from both sides are keep logged, the same with every industry and their competence.

Awesome ;) I knew they monitor telephones there, but I never heard about this ;)

"there"?

Which country do you live in, think you're better off than we are?

This happens anywhere, I tell you.

The only difference is that you could argue which governments tell you and which do not.

Pretty sure about any government is into this kind of thing.

Not defending the strategy, just saying that all it is is proof for their actions, not actually an insight really.

Glassed Silver:mac