Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

hmm sounds like a great idea tim but when trying to split something like a server (especially with people you don't know) someone always ends up getting screwed over. i would do it but it seems kinda risky.

To avoid the risk factor, just have everyone cough up their fee for the entire year (or specified time span). Then you can run on a year by year basis without fear of having payment issues. When the year ends, those who want out are free to go while new members of the "server co-op" can gain access. If you worked this out right, you could wind up with a pretty sweet deal, but you all just need to think it through.

I won't put an arbitrary limits on mysql databases or user accounts. They're impact on the server is minmal, so shouldn't cause a problem. Bandwidth and storage space will be controlled by CPanel, so there's no risk of people going over and ruining it for everyone. Plus, I have enough disposable income to support this even if we don't have the entire thing filled up. If people want out, I'll let them out. There is no contract, just terms and conditions to abide to.

MySQL/PHP/Perl will be the latest stable versions. That would be 4.0 and 4.3 as of right now. I'm not sure how CPanel automates their build processes, but I've done MySQL and PHP compiles in the past, so I don't see too much difficulty in it.

Custom deals can be done too. It'll be on a percentage basis of the costs I outlined above. I choose $5/month as a good granularity for most, but I can go over and under as appropriate. And if people want to pay in advance for a few months or a year, that's cool too. I've actually got more than enough income right now to buy several servers and give this away, but I figured it'd be smarter to not rely soley on my income ;) Also, I'll accept whatever payment means you want to use. Paypal, check, mail order, long distance projecticles stuff with cash; whatever works.

Also, don't forget the signup page even if you're slightly interested: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

Tim, you could make up revenue by making part of it a file mirror of somekind, and using ad revenues to support the server.

That would probably work out if I had unmetered bandwidth with someone like FDCServers (UGH!) or ev1servers, but that's not the type of package I'm looking for...

Can we resell our slice of the pie? :shifty:

Sure, doesn't affect me. Just make sure you realize I may not offer the same sort of response times that a normal host may offer. So, fair warning :)

BTW, the more and more I read, the better looking FDCServers.net becomes. They offer a larger disk, umetered bandwidth (2.1TB a month!) and have fairly positive reviews. Basically, going with them, I'd be able to offer this:

3.75GB Space

65.625GB of Bandwidth

$5/month

@_@

I'm beginning to realize why webhosting is such a popular business :D

long distance projecticles stuff with cash

*Gets out his laser-guided rocket launcher and aims at Timdorr's house* :cool: :whistle: ....

Radish?

Hmm...sounds nice...

$5/month is cheap too...but i dont like giving PayPal my credit card...and i live in Northern Ireland so i cant send in the mail cause that would take like 2390487298034 years...lol...

any domain registration or anything offered with it ?

The only thing that is keeping me from saying yes is that it may be difficult to pay you. My dad is an idiot, yes an idiot, and he won't let me use his credit card online anymore. One of his friends got screwed and he thinks he will as well. Would it be alright to send you the $5, well $8 (stupid economy)?

I've actually got more than enough income right now to buy several servers and give this away, but I figured it'd be smarter to not rely soley on my income

man, what type of income do you have? i want a piece of that income! ;)

I'm very interested in this. $5 a month for all of that? That's an amazing deal. Not sure how I'd give you payment though. Cash seems to be my only option... since I don't have parents willing to lend me their cc... But I'd really like a part of this!

I would signup, hell, for 9.99 a month I would probably take that offer too. (just don't raise the prices now because i said that :p)

LMK.

Basically, I would sign up in an instant except for the fact that since I don't trust Paypal, its going to be hard to get the cash to you, and mail really isn't possible since I'm in Asia :x

Are there any other payment options?

PayPal lets you withdraw money straight from your bank account if you don't have a CC (it's how I used to use PP). You just need your ABA routing # and your account #, and it should work. They have guides on getting that info. It may work best for those without a CC. Also, if you want to pay via a lump sum over regular mail, that works too. The mail isn't *that* slow, so it wouldn't be that much of an issue :)

What about SSH connections? Could we use our slice for things like a HLDS server?
I'll allow SSH on a per-person basis. HLDS may only be for special occasions if it causes too much of a load on the server. I'd have to investigate that more.
can we host adult content? if so im in.

ServerBeach doesn't allow it, but FDC says "21. Adult content: Adult content hosting is allowed only to direct clients of FDCservers.net LLC and is strictly prohibited for reseller accounts". If it's your thing, that's ok. I don't really care :)

Also, be sure to read these to ensure you're going to be using this properly :)

http://www.fdcservers.net/tos.html

http://www.fdcservers.net/aup.html