Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

207 answers to this question

I would love to join in on this project.

my main concern is how will things be governed, ie set rules for everyone to abide by to keep things running smoothly and fairly.

I don't need much cpu or storage, just bandwidth.

When will this be up and running?

I don't mind paying for more than one share, or for more than one month to get things up and running, as I am looking for something quick, and decent, and this plan sounds perfect!

I have paypal so when you get things set up and ready, say the word!

Wheres it going to be located? Can I use it as a file server?

Might be interested depending on who runs it and how protected our stuff will be from certain individuals..

I dont want to share a box with someone who will go thru our stuff. Not makin any implications but I ve had crappy webhosting before.

ANyhoo let us know

Proph

Everything will run through CPanel, and if you set up your permissions properly, you shouldn't have issues with snooping. You can use it for whatever you want as long as it's not illegal and you don't go over your bandwidth allocation. If you do go over, you'll essentially be shut out until the end of the month by CPanel. However, with 66 GB to go through, I'd find that hard to do :) CPanel keeps allocation equal for everyone and ensures no one can be "messy" and fill things up.

BTW, voice your interest here if you haven't already: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php It will get you on my email list so I can keep everyone informed that way.

You can use it for whatever you want as long as it's not illegal and you don't go over your bandwidth allocation.

See, that's the only problem. HD space and bandwidth are easy using whm, but when it comes to cpu/ram usage you need to look at this completely differently. Is there going to be a no gameserver (and things of the like) policy?

maybe someone who got the dedicated hosting can provide me with a little space and stuff for my website?

Some features i need

100mb Webspace

3-5gb of BW transfer

FTP

Cpanel

1 Mysql DB

PHP

Allow PHPnuke

can't afford paid hosting :(

See, that's the only problem. HD space and bandwidth are easy using whm, but when it comes to cpu/ram usage you need to look at this completely differently. Is there going to be a no gameserver (and things of the like) policy?

No gameservers will be allowed. This is why shell access isn't going to be given out that much. If anyone plans on abusing it, they will be kicked off. Simple as that.

hmm if this gets going im in as long as you are accepting people a while afterwards, i'd rather wait for my current hosting to expire first.

Just worked it out, thats $60 a year which = ?35, christ thats good :yes:rofl::

obviously a person who has never seen my work any way tom I'm ready to go on this anytime you are

Post a link of you "work" that somehow relates to cpanel or stop posting useless crap. Otherwise I'm done with this petty nonsense.

No gameservers will be allowed. This is why shell access isn't going to be given out that much. If anyone plans on abusing it, they will be kicked off. Simple as that.

Sounds good. I'll mostly likely join up in the not so distant future.

Here's the latest stats:

Interested after it gets going: 7

Thinking about it: 12

Ready to go: 17

If you want to change your interest level, let me know. I'd like to have my stats as accurate as possible for this :)

can we cancel at anytime? ...just as long as we let you know? i am currently on the "ready to go" list, can someone from the "let me know once it's up" list get my spot if i eventually cancel at some poin? thanks ;)

Go go go! Really want this! What will the domain name be?

You bring your own preferably. I'm not providing free 2nd-level domains, but I can provide some 3rd-levels under .blastcapacity.org, .timdorr.com, .stolemy.com, .bowbefore.us, and .write2left.com if you want. Or, you can use some sort of dynamic DNS service.

BTW, here's the latest stats:

Interested after it gets going: 9

Thinking about it: 11

Ready to go: 20