Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

207 answers to this question

Rich is all relative. Let's just say I have over $1000 of disposable income per month to fiddle with :)

I work a summer job and I make about whatever you have extra x 1.5 :huh: over the entire summer tho.

$1000 a month disposable income and your going to school - care to share how youve accomplished this

luck of the draw with scheduling and working at home. Also, it's programming in PHP, so it's fun for me and it's stuff I do on the side anyways.

Plus, taht's not my total income, it's just what I have left over after normal expenses.

Anyhoo, we're over 30 ready-to-go, so I'm going to order this week (probably wednesday). Here's the stats:

Waiting: 12

Thinking: 13

Ready: 31

I'll email everyone out something tonight or tomorrow updating them on the progress and asking for "RSVP"s on their interest. I'll start moving people on to the server in smaller increments over the course of the week, so we can work out any problems without 30 people all coming to me looking to kill :)

PAYPAL!!!

Stop being so scared of paypal! There is nothing wrong with PAYPAL!

If it isn't supported where you are, He has said, mail, moneygrams, projectiles filled with cash, whatever!

hurry the **** up and tell me how i can pay u and i am in 4 sure

How are you read next time and learn not to insult your potential future server admin? Personally, I don't think you should be allowed on the server if you have an attitude like that...

I take the position that the customer is always right (so those who are in on this, feel free to complain to me if things aren't turning out alright for you), but complaining and insulting me when I've both given you the information you need in this thread and haven't even accepted your application towards getting on the server is downright nonsensical.

Im just wondering if the server supports ASP.NET? Im new to all these web hosting thingy. But since price is great, that's why im thinking about doing some basic web design, hosting...etc. as a learn experience. I know for ppl like me, geocitie may do the job, but with just $5 i could have much better options and tools than any other free web hosting services.

Thanx!

Edited by Side1021

i am just a little :angry: 'cause it is the 3rd time i have asked WITH OUT reply so this time i will be as nice as i ca

Excuse me sir may youplease inform me of a payment option that a 12 year old (13 tomorrow) could use to pay for a years subscription on this ?B?R cheap server. i am in Australia have no PayPal account and parent's don't have a Credit Card.

Thanks ypu in advance Andrew...

Is that better?

PAYPAL!!!

Stop being so scared of paypal! There is nothing wrong with PAYPAL!

If it isn't supported where you are, He has said, mail, moneygramsprojectiles filled with cash,b> whatever!

LoL i just better not do it at sk00l as this is suspendable offence (Throwing Projectiles)

Count me in - as long as I can pay for a few months now, a few in about a moths time, etc. I have...$26 in my wallt right now, so that's just over 3 months, but I'll be getting some more money soon.

UPDATE for me: My dad says I can go ahead - so I am go!

BTW; If There isn't a whole 3gb block left, I'll be happy to settle for less - 1gb shold be fine for me (I only have 10mb right now!).

Edited by snippet1

Im just wondering if the server supports ASP.NET? Im new to all these web hosting thingy. But since price is great, that's why im thinking about doing some basic web design, hosting...etc. as a learn experience. I know for ppl like me, geocitie may do the job, but with just $5 i could have much better options and tools than any other free web hosting services.

Thanx!

Yeah, I already enquired about this - I found an app called Mono that can do this, and Timdorr says he should be able to put it on.

Thanx!

Yeah, I already enquired about this - I found an app called Mono that can do this, and Timdorr says he should be able to put it on.

Wow that's great! That mono thingy is great! Seems to support a lot of things.

Yeah, I'll do my best to get it running (looks fairly simple) and we can see if it supports everything neccessary for you guys. If it does, you guys can get on to :)

I just sent info to everyone who voiced themselves as interested how to sign up. If you didn't get this email and have filled out the interest form, please email me (timdorr&timdorr,com) and I will get back to you with the URL for the signup form :)