Apple gets a new, broader slide-to-unlock patent

The bigger question is how is apple continually able to get these patents awarded especially when there is prior art? Arent they supposed to research the patents being applied for before awarding them? Is the patent office on the take? Free ipads for everyone? They all just cant be dumb as a puddle of vomit, so how does this keep happening?

'Reasoning' and 'Explanations' for why it's wrong is clearly above the domain of your understanding and logic. regardless of the company doing it, attempting to (and in this case, successfully patenting actual prior art) patent a 'workaround' implemented by dozens of manufacturers is a disgusting money grab and is a wholly anti-competitive practice and should be banned.

And no, every big tech company doesn't do this. Every other big tech company simply implements a workaround, or pays the patent license fees to use the technology in question. No other company is as anti-competitive, patent whoring and pathetic as Apple (imagine patenting a workaround.. that's a rather low end tactic) - so that's why it's a big deal. If any other company were to emerge doing this, you'll see their name in blog posts and forum threads.

Again, any explanations and reasoning for why this practice is wrong is far beyond your understanding and logic. If you want to advocate for Apple, that's fine, go right ahead - just don't propogate bull****.

First of all, there's no need to attempt to insult me. It only makes you look like a child, and it gives me very little reason to even listen to your ramble. If you honestly think Apple is the only one playing this tactic, then you truly know very little about how the tech world operates. And you think this is all beyond my understanding and logic? Grow up...

I never said I think any of this is right. Quite frankly, I think the patent system allowing these things to happen, makes it almost impossible for a small company to break through with unique ideas. My point only was that these things are absolutely not unique to Apple, and they aren't doing anything lawfully wrong.

If you want to continue the discussion, go get some fresh air, calm down, and then if you have something intelligent to add, go right ahead...

Again, please explain why this is Apple's fault? Is what they're doing against the law? It may be ethically wrong, and obviously you don't agree with it, but any company can (and many do) play the same tactics. With the patent system how it is, if you don't patent your "method/process", somebody else will. I know we'll both agree that the patent system needs a massive overhaul.

But point being that none of this is Apple' fault. Every other big tech company does the same thing, but you don't hear about it because it seems only Apple is a "big deal" for whatever reason.

yes, it is actually. it's anti-competitive and monopolistic. which could be very bad for them if a judge decides to call them on it

no image moves when you unlock the s3. you can just swipe any direction and it unlocks or brings up the lock prompt to enter the PIN, pattern, whatever...

this sounds like the little arrow that moves when you swipe it, like i had on my blackberry storm years ago...

Galaxy Tab 2 does this without any pictures moving

First of all, there's no need to attempt to insult me. It only makes you look like a child, and it gives me very little reason to even listen to your ramble. If you honestly think Apple is the only one playing this tactic, then you truly know very little about how the tech world operates. And you think this is all beyond my understanding and logic? Grow up...

I never said I think any of this is right. Quite frankly, I think the patent system allowing these things to happen, makes it almost impossible for a small company to break through with unique ideas. My point only was that these things are absolutely not unique to Apple, and they aren't doing anything lawfully wrong.

If you want to continue the discussion, go get some fresh air, calm down, and then if you have something intelligent to add, go right ahead...

Drop your typical 'holier-than-thou' attitude you're spraying all over. If you feel insulted by what I wrote in here, you need to shut down your computer and step outside for a change. An appointment with a therapist would be even better. And you tell me to 'grow up'? How hyperbolic of you.

Yes, you said it's ethically wrong. You agreed. And then proceeded to question anyway, as to why it's a wrong tactic. I'm unable to twist logic quite like you, and still keep on bantering the same question over and over again, I don't live in bizarro world, sorry.

When you step out of your Apple hypnomania, come back and read my previous reply.

Again, please explain why this is Apple's fault? Is what they're doing against the law? It may be ethically wrong, and obviously you don't agree with it, but any company can (and many do) play the same tactics. With the patent system how it is, if you don't patent your "method/process", somebody else will. I know we'll both agree that the patent system needs a massive overhaul.

But point being that none of this is Apple' fault. Every other big tech company does the same thing, but you don't hear about it because it seems only Apple is a "big deal" for whatever reason.

They are taking advantage of a broken system that deters other competitors to compete and innovate.

It's playing by the rules, yes. But the way they are competing and doing business is harmful for the industry.

Why not make better products to increase profits instead of getting it through litigation?

They are taking advantage of a broken system that deters other competitors to compete and innovate.

It's playing by the rules, yes. But the way they are competing and doing business is harmful for the industry.

Why not make better products to increase profits instead of getting it through litigation?

I agree. Just like any big corporation, it's all about the money, and not about the employees and especially not the competition.

And you can't really say they should make "better products". It's not like they are purposely putting out sub-par products. Plus they are doing better than anybody else in terms of sales and already have the best products according to a lot of people, so that's a moot point. The patent system does need a big overhaul so that the big companies can't rule the whole market like they do now.

Wow ... so it means they can even sue WP7, WP8, or Win8 for 'moving image' to unlock the device too?

Whoever approves this patent is high on drug or something.

Nope.

Apple and Microsoft have a patent sharing agreement.. they both can do almost anything with eachothers patents aside from being in direct competition . that said, even when they are in competition, they let it slide.. there aren't many things where MS and Apple are slugging it out and where both sides are closely matched..

Also, it's not prior art unless it existed before the Patent was submitted.. not when it was granted..

As for Why Apple needed a 3rd patent ? Maybe they want to change their Slide to Unlock.. who knows.. regardless, if they submitted the patent before anyone else had done it, they are in the clear.

I agree. Just like any big corporation, it's all about the money, and not about the employees and especially not the competition.

And you can't really say they should make "better products". It's not like they are purposely putting out sub-par products. Plus they are doing better than anybody else in terms of sales and already have the best products according to a lot of people, so that's a moot point. The patent system does need a big overhaul so that the big companies can't rule the whole market like they do now.

That was a general statement for any company in the industry. =)

The bigger question is how is apple continually able to get these patents awarded especially when there is prior art? Arent they supposed to research the patents being applied for before awarding them? Is the patent office on the take? Free ipads for everyone? They all just cant be dumb as a puddle of vomit, so how does this keep happening?

uh uh...probally this is the setup in the patent office.

No wonder...

minimalist-apple-desk.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, you can tell there is some back room deal going on...

"...you scratch my back, I'll give your daughter a 1st Generation iPod Shuffle..."

simple someone is getting very rich at the patent office