Star Citizen - Space Combat Sim built with CryENGINE 3 (by Chris Roberts)

The information can be found in the game, but the nice easy to use UI. Is only for early backers.

As for independent, after the initial funding they also got funding from other sources, so the game is being developed with more funds than just the crowd funding.

As for indie, technically they're "indie" in spirit they're not an indie studio. They're two big and at this point they're so big they can be considered a publisher in their own right.

I'm not saying he's corporate or that, but he's something else in between the small indies and the regular publisher games. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm just glad to finally get a arcade space combat game again, even if as a regular customer at release they'll treat me as a second(or rather fifth at this point) rate customer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Samsung 4K monitor, 280X 6GB, Core i7-4790...medium settings in 4K? Or will i be able to push for high settings?

Honestly depends on what FPS  you are looking for, I have to run a single 770 2GB at 1080p on high to get decent FPS (ie the one screenshot with fraps on caught it at 37FPS), 4K on that 280X at medium is probably wishful thinking, I'd imagine only SLI/Crossfire the high end GPUs (780 Ti, 290x) to get something useful out of 4K for this game.  And SLI/Crossfire is broken right now to boot.  I sure hope you have that monitor connected via DisplayPort 1.2 and have that turned on the monitor to enable MST mode, because 30Hz would just be aweful, I don't mind the 60Hz refresh rate on my IPS monitors as I love the color reproduction.

Honestly depends on what FPS  you are looking for, I have to run a single 770 2GB at 1080p on high to get decent FPS (ie the one screenshot with fraps on caught it at 37FPS), 4K on that 280X at medium is probably wishful thinking, I'd imagine only SLI/Crossfire the high end GPUs (780 Ti, 290x) to get something useful out of 4K for this game.  And SLI/Crossfire is broken right now to boot.  I sure hope you have that monitor connected via DisplayPort 1.2 and have that turned on the monitor to enable MST mode, because 30Hz would just be aweful, I don't mind the 60Hz refresh rate on my IPS monitors as I love the color reproduction.

Thanks for the feedback, that's what i expected. No, the connection is HDMI so it's 30fps for me, which i'm generally OK with as i'm getting older and not as responsive as before...but i figured the 280X may not even be able to do medium settings at 4K. No desire to go CrossFire, single GPU for me as i can't justify the cost and complexity of two. It's fine, i guess next year we will start seeing single GPU cards that can handle 4K more respectably.

You mean for GPUs? I think the next ones from NV and AMD are supposed to be 4K-focused? Anyway, sorry to have interrupted with my DIY questions...hopefully will be able to run this in 4K as i do want to support Roberts and new tech as much as i can afford to

You mean for GPUs? I think the next ones from NV and AMD are supposed to be 4K-focused? Anyway, sorry to have interrupted with my DIY questions...hopefully will be able to run this in 4K as i do want to support Roberts and new tech as much as i can afford to

Well 4K can be deceptive depending on the game, there was always the phrase "But can it run Crysis?" and this is a Crysis 3.6 engine game, so it will be pushing hardware for sure.  I'd expect 2-3 generations before a high end single card would be good at 4K, depending on the title.  Some of it will depend on them beefing up the VRAM as well.  Honestly I'd wait until the persistent universe comes out where the game will be a bit more optimized (it should be for Squadron 42) and then maybe pick up a newer generation card.  Honestly 4K is still fairly new in the gaming world and it'll take a bit of time for GPU's to catch up.

• Like 1

Well 4K can be deceptive depending on the game, there was always the phrase "But can it run Crysis?" and this is a Crysis 3.6 engine game, so it will be pushing hardware for sure.  I'd expect 2-3 generations before a high end single card would be good at 4K, depending on the title.  Some of it will depend on them beefing up the VRAM as well.  Honestly I'd wait until the persistent universe comes out where the game will be a bit more optimized (it should be for Squadron 42) and then maybe pick up a newer generation card.  Honestly 4K is still fairly new in the gaming world and it'll take a bit of time for GPU's to catch up.

Thanks, and I think you're right. Looks like even the upcoming 20nm cards (when TSMC can finally get their act together) will offer the usual 20% to 30% boost in performance compared to current cards, and logic dictates that 4K in high settings would need at least double the performance of something like a 280X/6GB. So yeah, two generations away sounds about right! However, this does not satisfy the craven and depraved shopaholic within me, and I keep fantasizing about Star Citizen in glorious 4K with no anti-aliasing needed cause I have all the pixels! :drool:

Thanks, and I think you're right. Looks like even the upcoming 20nm cards (when TSMC can finally get their act together) will offer the usual 20% to 30% boost in performance compared to current cards, and logic dictates that 4K in high settings would need at least double the performance of something like a 280X/6GB. So yeah, two generations away sounds about right! However, this does not satisfy the craven and depraved shopaholic within me, and I keep fantasizing about Star Citizen in glorious 4K with no anti-aliasing needed cause I have all the pixels! :drool:

I'm sticking to 1440P for now, is a bit more feasible with current tech and next generation or two.  Plus I want to see 4K IPS 60Hz displays that are true 10bit without dithering and do not use dual tcons and dual panels to get that resolution.  The Dell I was looking at doesn't scale properly with DP 1.2 mode turned on due to the two scalers.  4K is a bit too new for my blood.

Very sensible, and thanks for the info. It may be too premature to make the jump, though if we all do that it will take longer to transition. I think at least wait for cards and screens that work with HDMI 2.0, to avoid the 30Hz max

thanks heh :)  I thought it was there already

1.2 still does 4k@60hz, at any rate.

But will Star Citizen be optimized for 8K? :cry:

Yes, i had to be that guy