Selling my Mac -Oh My!

(Sorry this is long - please stick around and help a fellow Neowin user). :) (WARNING: OPINIONS!)

WOW, where do I start? Let me just put out what I do and then go from there:

• I build web sites mostly using premade skeleton scripts so FTP a lot.
  • I do some basic graphic design in terms of modifying headers, creating them, logos etc.
  • I listen to music and sometimes enjoy playing around with creating it, but rarely do anything there other than listen to it.
  • I do create documents/spreadsheets and modify them on occasion (For client sites).
  • I also rarely (as in once in a blue moon if that), enjoy a nice graphics intensive game.

With all of that said, it is obvious that I am a computer user and that is of course no surprise. Now, here is what I am doing:

I am selling my iMac and going to move on to a PC. But this is where my 'conundrum' lies. I of course know with what I am doing with the computer - Any flavor of OS will suffice from Linux, to Mac to Windows. And with that - any software I would require to do my above tasks is found freely (Openoffice, Gimp etc).

What I have discovered about myself:

I really don't care what software environment I am in anymore in terms of what OS it is. What is important to me is what can be done in it and how easily accessible the software is to do the job. For example, with all systems, I can use Filezilla to FTP, Thunderbird for Email, Gimp for graphic manipulation/editing etc, and of course Firefox or Chrome as third party browsers not built into the system. But, what I am not sure of at this point is if I want to focus my time and energy on buying a PC that will allow me to OSX86 the heck out of it or move on into a different OS.

The Problem with Apple and Mac:

I am tired of Apple's semi-forcing us non IOS users to conform to the newer ecosystem (A.K.A. Mountain Lion), I have run it and played with it, it rocks and is awesome! So, don't think I am against it. What I am against is the direction that things are headed. As in - it sure feels like if you own an iDevice then you certainly have all items in that same world (a.k.a. iPod,iPhone,iPad), and if you don't, then you are losing out.

I know I can run Snow Leopard as my default OS and live happier without this notion, but for how much longer will it be supported?

Instead, I am sort of shaking off the 'dependence' if you will of this environment as sweet and intuitive it is and move on to something dare I say 'More Maverick"?

My Viewpoints and they are strictly mine and not anyone else's and I know that you will disagree with me at least in one area. :)

The Problem I have with Windows:

If I go to Windows, then I would stick straight with Windows 7 as for me, 8 isn't going to cut it with my tastes and requirements. I would probably skip 8 and go to 9 or whatever they call it, unless they make some changes in 8 that catch my attention. So, with that - I say if you are going to use 8, g ahead and love Windows 8, embrace it and do what you wan't with it. Win 7 is enough for me for the time being, I won't knock anyone for using 8. :)

Yet - I don't really know what is going to happen with Microsoft and the direction they are leading - to me it seems that Windows 8 is the start of what Apple is doing as well by putting people into the 'mobile realm' by introducing those interfaces. (Tiles the same as on the Windows based phones), not that there is anything wrong with it, but I am almost not wanting to be categorized into those areas.

The Problems with Linux:

With Linux, I know that I can completely pick and chose from literally thousands of flavors of it to find something that would fit me. But, sadly, some of the software included in Linux just isn't appealing to me GUI wise with some of the systems. And Yes, I know about Compiz.

As far as desktop managers, I am not a big fan of Gnome's direction they are taking and haven't really cared too much for KDE or Litestep. I know there are many more managers, but you have to agree that those are some of the big players so anything else isn't exactly found easily.

I absolutely LOVE Linux as a server and use it for my web hosting and insist on it.

I have made Linux my main Desktop OS several times in the past (Before I got my Mac in 2007), but never could commit to a long term solution.

Why am I leaving iMac?

The reason is silly I suppose, but to me it is serious business and my main reason - repair costs, troubles and expense later on.

Let me explain - since owning this machine which by the way is a replacement under Apple Care for a previous machine that failed so miserably they sent me a brand new upgraded system, I have already (Under Apple Care), I have had to replace the superdrive because of mechanical issues with it. Sure, that is a minor part you would say; but that so far (knock on wood), has been the only thing to fail with this system. So, maybe it is not so bad.

I have been toying with the idea a lot lately of investing in a SSD for the iMac and using the HDD inside externally and load my files off that - OS on the SSD and move from there.

This is where some of the costs and expense can come in. To do this on my particular model system, I have to pull the LCD up (after removing the display glass, removing a lot of Torx screws), carefully disconnect the several cables attached and then set the screen aside. Remove the HDD which after this is quite simple, install the SSD (Simple again), button the drive down with the screws, then attach the display (pretty involved from what I understand) to it's cables, re screw the torx screws in, and place the glass back on, go in, enable Trim support, download a fan controller for the HDD as now the Mac doesn't read the temps properly of the SSD as it is calibrated for a HDD, then move on. As a weekend project, this might be fun to do in an afternoon. But, for me - not my cup of tea really.

What all this boils down to is hardware Mac wise.

So why don't you go with OSX86 then?

I have played with that idea so much and believe me, have really entertained the idea, but in all honesty, can't really be sure I want to do this with the whole Ecosystem thing that I mentioned earlier.

So then, you do know you can install Windows, Linux or OSX on your Mac right?

But of course! I have known this for a long time - but see the point about hardware. :)

So, now I am just wanting to know your opinion on what you would do first of all hardware wise and then software wise. Both tie together since you have to have hardware which can support the software. :)

Right now, I am open to any OS, and any system architecture but am needing some suggestions as I have been driving myself mad trying to figure it out.

tl;dr - I am selling my Mac, I want your opinion on what I should do next OS wise.

I'll keep this short;

I'd wager Windows 7 will be your best bet.

It's rock solid (and I do mean rock solid). It's very easy to use, has tons of software for it - the aforementioned Filezilla, Thunderbird, browsers, Gimp etc are all available for Windows too. Unless y6ou're using any MacOS specific application, you're good to go with Windows 7.

buy a new mac. you are missing nothing here in the windows world

yer agreed! Pay 30%+ more for the exact same hardware inside as a x86 windows/linux box, and as he said before he doesnt like the way the Mac ecosystem in apple land is heading, so that makes TOTAL sense <shakes head> /sarcasm

Build a x86 box mate and try various flavours of linux for a fraction of the cost, youve stated your requirements powerwise isnt high, so you could easy make a linux box to do everything you need, if it doesnt fit your uses/taste then bung Windows 7 pro or above on it, its supported till 2020 ;)

I use Win 7 at work and support it as part of my job duties. TBH - when I first started using Win 7 there, I didn't like it, but the more I used it, the better it got for me. Before that, I would have sworn that XP was the best Windows. lol So, I have no problem going that route for sure in the long term.

Still looking for some input though. :)

Also, if you buy a new Mac, you will be buying last years Sandy Bridge iMacs which is like almost 2 years old. Invest in an equivalent Windows 7 PC. You can have a SSD built in along with a large mechanical drive for storage. Install as much RAM as you can afford. You should be good to go. Buy it with Windows 7 now too and get the free upgrade to Windows 8 which you can install at your leisure if you change your mind in the future.

Build your own computer.. No OEM does a good job building a desktop tower PC.

Also its really not hard to upgrade your iMac. Took me half an hour. You buy the "SSD Kit" from OWC and put the SSD where its suppose to go, under the superdrive.

Btw, all disc drives fail, but i've never had a superdrive fail in any macs i've own or half had friends own. I own a 2006 macbook pro which is rock solid with a disc drive thats old as dirt and was used a LOT years ago, now its never touched, who uses discs anymore? I boot everything off my external ssd (ssd + usb 3 enclosure) or flash drive.

I'd say go the Windows 7 route, and virtualize other OS's. At work I run Windows 7 primary and Arch in virtual box for Cross-Platform compiling.

I've recently moved from Apple to Lenovo (ThinkPad X1 Carbon + ThinkCentre m92p) with my software being centred around Creative Suite Master Collection (I pretty much touch on all the software included). I'd go with Windows 7 which is pretty mature at this point but when it comes to Windows 8 I'll probably upgrade because of the discounted upgrade (because I bought my two computers recently) but if I had to pay full price I'd probably hold off as I'm more interested in what Office 2013 has to offer than necessarily Windows 8 (not that there is anything wrong with Windows 8 but the benefits I'll gain out of upgrading to Office 2013 will be higher than going to Windows 8 - I'd have to choose one or the other as I don't have spare cash at the time to do both).

yer agreed! Pay 30%+ more for the exact same hardware inside as a x86 windows/linux box, and as he said before he doesnt like the way the Mac ecosystem in apple land is heading, so that makes TOTAL sense <shakes head> /sarcasm

Build a x86 box mate and try various flavours of linux for a fraction of the cost, youve stated your requirements powerwise isnt high, so you could easy make a linux box to do everything you need, if it doesnt fit your uses/taste then bung Windows 7 pro or above on it, its supported till 2020 ;)

its not always about hardware. mac is fast and better than any pc

You're not missing anything from the mac World I will say you're if one day they decide to make all the same games you can play on the pc and stuff but not going to happen anytime soon... I would go with a PC with Windows 8 Pro Retail or OEM. since I always go with the latest operating system since I don't like being behind in the tech world. enjoy your new PC... hopefully one day Apple will be ahead of it's game.

You're not missing anything from the mac World I will say you're if one day they decide to make all the same games you can play on the pc and stuff but not going to happen anytime soon... I would go with a PC with Windows 8 Pro Retail or OEM. since I always go with the latest operating system since I don't like being behind in the tech world. enjoy your new PC... hopefully one day Apple will be ahead of it's game.

i would ask to better go with windows 7 rather that 8. latest always is not good.

For Apple they're setting themselves up as the Sony of the United States and you're a professional you'll just have to get used to playing second fiddle to the i-device hype. I think it is a smart move by Apple but equally if you're a Mac user expecting 'more' than what you've got today then expect to be bitterly disappointed. Don't be surprised if the Mac Pro is mothballed and the iMac is eventually killed off so that in 12 months time they're a 100% pure mobile company selling iPhones, iPad's, MacBook Air 'Retina' devices - that is the future of Apple (which will be very profitable for them) so the question is whether what you need to do lines up with their future path.

I'm not bashing Apple - I'm actually praising them for making a savvy business move but I do think that many Mac users need to wake up and realise that Apple is going in one direction and that new direction isn't going to line up with what they (as end users) want to do in the future.

Windows 7 is your best bet. It'll be supported for many years to come and is as "traditional" a desktop OS as you're going to get any time in the near future.

Dual boot Linux and Windows 7. Or use WUBI on Windows 7 to install Linux. That way you can use either one to suit your need.

Linux Mint is my favorite distro, but there are many good one.