Apple Has Quietly Started Tracking iPhone Users Again, And Its Tricky To Op

So perfect it doesnt have proper maps or turn by turn navigation. Its not butthurt, its pity, seeing the ignorance of hte iSheep defending such an inferior product.

has it occurred to you sitting in your ivory tower of judgement that your pity is not asked for?

i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know that ios 6 has turn by turn navigation.

in summary, thank you for your thoughts.

Download BetterBatteryStats. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you'd be surprised at how often Google Maps wakelocks your phone and uses your GPS to determine your location. I can't say exactly what Google is doing with this information, but it's not related to Latitude, and my guess is they are using that location information. There are a lot of posts about this issue, but it seems like it's a concession of having Google Maps. There is no setting that will disable it, other than turning off all of your location services. When you turn on the location services, you even have to click the "Agree" button saying you're ok with Google uploading your anonymous location data in the background, even while nothing is running. Google is no saint, they aren't offering Android out of the goodness of their heart, they want to be the first layer of interaction that accepts your data, hence why they are pushing Chrome and Android so heavily.

I've lost quite a bit of battery on occassions because my Google Maps will turn my GPS/Location services on for 5-6 minutes.

Hasn't happened to me. I have battery stats, I can also kill running processes on a whim if I choose.

Download BetterBatteryStats. It's doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you'd be surprised at how often Google Maps wakelocks your phone and uses your GPS to determine your location. I can't say exactly what Google is doing with this information, but it's not related to Latitude, and my guess is they are using that location information. There are a lot of posts about this issue, but it seems like it's a concession of having Google Maps. There is no setting that will disable it, other than turning off all of your location services. When you turn on the location services, you even have to click the "Agree" button saying you're ok with Google uploading your anonymous location data in the background, even while nothing is running. Google is no saint, they aren't offering Android out of the goodness of their heart, they want to be the first layer of interaction that accepts your data, hence why they are pushing Chrome and Android so heavily.

I've lost quite a bit of battery on occassions because my Google Maps will turn my GPS/Location services on for 5-6 minutes.

Hasn't happened to me. I have battery stats, I can also kill running processes on a whim if I choose.

How do you figure Google and Apple measure the traffic congestion on the maps apps? Simple. They track you. They know where you are and how fast you're going at all times.

It's really not that big of a deal. But if it bothers you, don't have a smartphone period.

I hate Apple and hope they fail. Yes, you heard me right... companies that control too much market is a bad thing and are bad for the world as a whole.

You do realize the hypocrisy of that statement right? If Apple falls, then Android controls damn near 95% of the smart phone market. If Android falls, Apple gets it. People need to stop focusing on bashing them and focusing on bringing on a competitor.
  • Like 3

We will poor dude.

lol, mmkay.

How do you figure Google and Apple measure the traffic congestion on the maps apps? Simple. They track you. They know where you are and how fast you're going at all times.

It's really not that big of a deal. But if it bothers you, don't have a smartphone period.

Good point. I accept that. However, I don't have any location services activated unless I'm running GPS on a trip. It kills battery, and just like what is being discussed here, I don't want someone tracking me.