XvsXP.com updated

XvsXP.com site just got updated for Panther!

Now the overall score is 727 to 630. I admit I didn't get to deep read all the sections yet, but, hell of a great job as the site is, some scores seem kind of out of the blue.

Take Window stacking: Panther, with its brilliant Expose scores 7, Windows XP, with absolutely nothing to compete it scores 7, too.

Then video/audio conferencing: Panther, with iChat AV scores 8, Windows XP, with Windows/MSN Messenger (from what I remember it is the latter that currently supports AV conferencing) scores... 9!

Web browsing: 8 to OS X, with Safari, incorporating tabbed-browsing and W3C standards concern, 9 to Windows XP, with its IE6 which hasn't been updated for over a year, minus the 100,000 security updates, and with no standards concern whatsoever.

I'm not saying Windows XP is the worst OS out there (I had ME for over a year). But yes, I think OS X is the best one, and with its latest release it just got better.

Why do I get the feeling I trigger a flame war?

Why do I get the feeling I trigger a flame war?

Because now that you've even made one little bad point about XP, they feel the need to defend their favorite OS (and of course justify their purchase of a PC even if it means making up bull**** and lies about OSX)

I don't think it should trigger a flame war - they are some very good points, and well made using examples instead of stupid jibes.

Agreed with most of the points - in fact XP has nothing over Panther when it comes to finding windows on your desktop - they behave in similar ways except of course Panther now has Expose which is pretty awesome.

Web browsing - the only thing IE does have is more compatability - but thats down to lazy web development & non standards compliance doing that...

With regards to AV / chatting - never really used iChat so I can't say. MSN is pretty basic to be honest, but it does the job well.

9 to Windows XP, with its IE6 which hasn't been updated for over a year, minus the 100,000 security updates, and with no standards concern whatsoever.

I use a powerbook myself and I still find this comment wholly biased.

IE 6 does indeed support W3C standards. There are some bugs that MS is not going to bother fixing, but standards support on IE6 is much, much better than any previous incarnation of IE.

If you're going to talk about the whole X vs. XP debate, the least you can do is be fair.

I use a powerbook myself and I still find this comment wholly biased.

IE 6 does indeed support W3C standards. There are some bugs that MS is not going to bother fixing, but standards support on IE6 is much, much better than any previous incarnation of IE.

If you're going to talk about the whole X vs. XP debate, the least you can do is be fair.

Some of them it does, and lots it doesn't. Then you got the MSHTML thrown in every once in a while.

i'd say both xp and os x should be 9's in web browsing. ie doesn't have pop up blocking or tabbed browsing while safari doesn't render as many sites and still has a couple of bugs.

more people on msn in terms of webcam stuff so i might give that to xp. unless aim supports the same protocols and you can use ichat with aim users, i'd still give conferencing to the windows side.

everything else should go to os x that you mentioned.

Because now that you've even made one little bad point about XP, they feel the need to defend their favorite OS (and of course justify their purchase of a PC even if it means making up bull**** and lies about OSX)

you do realize that you can swap out "XP" with "OSX" and "PC" with "Mac" and you'd still have a true statement, right?

All you zealots on Neowin do the same thing...everytime anyone criticizes your OS/computer of choice, you have to lash back and a flamewar starts.

Don't make it sound like Mac users are always right and PC users are just little crybabies who make up lies to make themselves feel better, because that's just absurd.

PS - I'm an avid Mac user, but I use a PC too and frankly, I'm sick of the 'zealot' type.

you do realize that you can swap out "XP" with "OSX" and "PC" with "Mac" and you'd still have a true statement, right?

All you zealots on Neowin do the same thing...everytime anyone criticizes your OS/computer of choice, you have to lash back and a flamewar starts.

Don't make it sound like Mac users are always right and PC users are just little crybabies who make up lies to make themselves feel better, because that's just absurd.

PS - I'm an avid Mac user, but I use a PC too and frankly, I'm sick of the 'zealot' type.

Your right.

you want to argue about what the best os is? go for it... just realize you may as well be banging your head against a wall... as it is just as productive.

It really doesn't make much sense comparing the two now anyway consider Panther just came out and XP came out what two years ago? Good comparison yeah..:rolleyes:

So how long exactly do we wait for the next Windows?2-3 years? :sleep:

It really doesn't make much sense comparing the two now anyway consider Panther just came out and XP came out what two years ago? Good comparison yeah..:rolleyes:

I'm not following your logic. The site compares the current operating systems of PCs and Macs.

It's not like something amazing's happened in the last two years that allowed Apple to build this killer OS that MS has no way of competing with. In fact, the two OSes score fairly closely..when you consider the rating is out of 1000 points.

Could you further explain why we can't compare XP with OS X or are you just trying justify to yourself that it's ok for OSX to be better than XP in some areas, since XP is an older OS?

So how long exactly do we wait for the next Windows?2-3 years? :sleep:

What does that have to do with anything? It sounds to me like yet another reason to the mac fans to harp about how great their NEW OS is. Ok we know that, why not compare it to 98 while they're at it, who knows maybe 98 will win???!!

I'm not following your logic.  The site compares the current operating systems of PCs and Macs.

It's not like something amazing's happened in the last two years that allowed Apple to build this killer OS that MS has no way of competing with.  In fact, the two OSes score fairly closely..when you consider the rating is out of 1000 points.

Could you further explain why we can't compare XP with OS X or are you just trying justify to yourself that it's ok for OSX to be better than XP in some areas, since XP is an older OS?

Amen. What's wrong with Comparing two OS's, currently on the market?

I'm not following your logic. The site compares the current operating systems of PCs and Macs.

It's not like something amazing's happened in the last two years that allowed Apple to build this killer OS that MS has no way of competing with. In fact, the two OSes score fairly closely..when you consider the rating is out of 1000 points.

The point is that they did in fact improve OSX from it's original inception a great deal and they already compared OSX to XP when they were both NEW OSs and XP lost. So I fail to see the point in this comparison unless that point is merely to stick it to Windows users. Make no mistake I like OSX but I find that this comparison is a waste of time since XP didn't change from it's original form while OSX has changed 3 times.

I'm not following your logic.  The site compares the current operating systems of PCs and Macs.

It's not like something amazing's happened in the last two years that allowed Apple to build this killer OS that MS has no way of competing with.  In fact, the two OSes score fairly closely..when you consider the rating is out of 1000 points.

The point is that they did in fact improve OSX from it's original inception a great deal and they already compared OSX to XP when they were both NEW OSs and XP lost. So I fail to see the point in this comparison unless that point is merely to stick it to Windows users. Make no mistake I like OSX but I find that this comparison is a waste of time since XP didn't change from it's original form while OSX has changed 3 times.

Waste of time maybe. Consider this:

You are in the market for a new computer, tempted my an Apple machine, but are drawn to Windows because 'most people are', and yet having seen OS X somewhere, are keen to see 'what else' is out there... Wouldn't it be nice if a site, such as this was wholly up to date with features, as to what is currently available to the consumer?

Waste of time maybe. Consider this:

You are in the market for a new computer, tempted my an Apple machine, but are drawn to Windows because 'most people are', and yet having seen OS X somewhere, are keen to see 'what else' is out there... Wouldn't it be nice if a site, such as this was wholly up to date with features, as to what is currently available to the consumer?

Alright that's true. I wasn't thinking from that perspective. 2shay :)

So just because Windows hasn't had an update and won't for 3 more years, it shouldn't be compared? If Windows XP isn't the latest non-server OS that's bundled on home machines and the like, what is?

The problem with sites like this is that however they dress it up, its not going to be objective. In any way shape or form.

If you wanted to a site that was completely objective, the operating systems would have to be judged by independent panels reflecting different user skill levels with the appropriate tasks that they want to perform and with an open reportage about prior bias. Not by a guy who is a Mac fan who is paying for a site to be up there. Its not objective at all.

For instance, you want to have a group of people who have never used a computer try and perform the simple tasks that they want; to a group of the clued-up users who are starting to use the higher skill level tasks to a group of uber-knowledgable computer professionals who might be using extreme high end tasks.

All funded by someone who has no bias...

Both os's have their strong and weak points.

Can't everyone just stick to what they like and keep their opinions to themselves? Is there really a need for windows users to bash mac users and the other way around? I think not.

So just because Windows hasn't had an update and won't for 3 more years, it shouldn't be compared? If Windows XP isn't the latest non-server OS that's bundled on home machines and the like, what is?

I love when people admit they are wrong and then users still feel a need to hack at their comments. Let it go :no:

So far this thread has been pretty peaceful and let's hope it stays that way. Anyway I agree with what ANova said, this thread is just asking for it and it's only a matter of time.

That's it you troll, I am filling out the "report this post" form right now.

:happy:

Fudge you, macs are sooo expensive and only an idiot would waste money like that.

This is fun. :p