Ubuntu 12.10 Released; Pokes fun of Win8

What is this "pain" they speak of? Because clicking on a square on your screen that says 'desktop' to get a familiar interface is torture compared to learning an entirely different layout.

Don't get me wrong, I've played around with Ubuntu for years and its a pretty decent OS, but this kind of advertising won't help.

Worst pain i ever had was on Linux. Turned out the noveau driver or whatever its called had a critical bug with the 5800GTX video card. After that i only had to copy and paste a few dozen lines in the terminal with a few hours of Google to get it how i wanted. Then i realized i hated the "alternative" apps. I couldn't do without Powerdirector and Any Video converter..etc, Plus i found Itunes won't work in WINE, no Netflix still..etc, etc.. so i went back. Sorry linux fans but comercial support means a lot

• Like 1

Noobuntu making fun of windows is like a homeless man making fun of a mansion owner.

I use Kubuntu like a man! I don't care if I have 3 different control panels with redundant options!!!!! /s

I really hate unity---I gave it a try---I really did. Kubuntu used to be ^ like this, but I think it's slowly getting better...

Hehe :D

Well it's true. Ubuntu at this point is more familiar to Windows users than Windows 8. It's the perfect time for canonical to point out this fact. Here's hoping more OEM's jump on board so we can finally break the Windows OEM monopoly once and for all, and in doing so reduce the prices for everyone.

• Like 4

Simplezz and his illusions strikes again. Mahn i really need some of what you are smoking, Living permanently in FOSS fantasy land must be one hella drug.

Well it's true. Ubuntu at this point is more familiar to Windows users than Windows 8. It's the perfect time for canonical to point out this fact. Here's hoping more OEM's jump on board so we can finally break the Windows OEM monopoly once and for all, and in doing so reduce the prices for everyone.

Microsoft now controls hardware prices?

You do realize you can get the price of Windows taken off your purchase by giving them a call right? It's pretty painless.

• Like 1

Simplezz and his illusions strikes again. Mahn i really need some of what you are smoking, Living permanently in FOSS fantasy land must be one hella drug.

I don't think he was trying to pull a Richard Stallman on us, but I 100% agree with cheaper Windows and more competition in the OS world.

You do realize you can get the price of Windows taken off your purchase by giving them a call right? It's pretty painless.

Your logical and rational comment is not welcome here. :rofl:

OEM's have to pay the Microsoft Tax whether they sell you a machine with Windows on it or not. Inevitably, consumers have to absorb these costs, so yes, in effect Microsoft controls the prices.

Do a Google search for Microsoft OEM NDA's, or the Microsoft Tax. It's anticompetitive what they have and continue to do even now. And by forcing OEM's into secret NDA's, they stop anyone speaking out.

Actually no, you have to call the OEM, and not all of them do refund. And even when they do, you have to jump through hoops. They know perfectly well, that most people won't bother, and thus, the cycle of the Microsoft Tax continues ad infinitum.

https://en.wikipedia...Public_response

how is that trainwreck unity ANYTHING like Windows?? KDE sure its been a windows ripoff for yrs but Gnome? No chance.

how is that trainwreck unity ANYTHING like Windows?? KDE sure its been a windows ripoff for yrs but Gnome? No chance.

Any desktop is more familiar than the Windows 8 startscreen.

OEM's have to pay the Microsoft Tax whether they sell you a machine with Windows on it or not. Inevitably, consumers have to absorb these costs, so yes, in effect Microsoft controls the prices.

Do a Google search for Microsoft OEM NDA's, or the Microsoft Tax. It's anticompetitive what they have and continue to do even now. And by forcing OEM's into secret NDA's, they stop anyone speaking out.

Actually no, you have to call the OEM, and not all of them do refund. And even when they do, you have to jump through hoops. They know perfectly well, that most people won't bother, and thus, the cycle of the Microsoft Tax continues ad infinitum.

https://en.wikipedia...Public_response

Go ahead and call Dell and then talk to me instead of just linking a wikipedia article. I know for a fact it's possible because I've done it 3 times now.

OEMs like Dell, HP etc have tried selling Linux computers and you know what happens?

1. People buy them by mistake and return them when their programs don't work. This costs the OEMs money since they can't resell it (it has to be marked refurbished).

2. It doesn't really sell all that well.

The reason OEMs don't just sell you a computer without Windows pre-installed is because 90% of the world would be completely clueless on how to install it (or install linux / OS X etc for that matter). And all that would end up doing is clogging up support lines.

If linux actually sold well, OEMs would dump Microsoft pretty fast. Dell, HP etc are in the business to make money for themselves, not to make Microsoft money. But the fact is they don't, and nobody outside from a few techies really gives a ****.

Any desktop is more familiar than the Windows 8 startscreen.

/facepalm. Your logic (sorry trolling) is pathetic.

• Like 3

Ha as if Linux desktop environments never went backwards causing regressions. Last time I checked, GNOME 3 by default removed minimize, maximize buttons. And Unity tries to do away with notification area! :p When will KDE, GNOME, Unity stop going backwards.....

• Like 1

About once a month I have remove whatever malware made its way onto my friend's laptop and it's becoming a bit of a pain. Especially because for whatever reason Microsoft's Security Essentials simply won't pick up on it. I'm seriously looking into replacing Windows 7 by Ubuntu. I've just hit one snag: No "free" Spotify yet available, something he uses frequently. :/