Ubuntu 12.10 Released; Pokes fun of Win8

I don't really understand all the Unity hate. Sure, the first version wasn't very good, but now all the way to 12.10, it's vastly improved. I use it on a daily basis, and aside from it being a little slow sometimes (and my system entirely to blame for that, but still, it's a valid point), I really don't have much issue with it. Now, if I could I'd probably run Gnome 3, but I still kind of feel like that's maturing too. The very latest versions of Gnome 3 are starting to look quite enticing, but I'm on 12.04 at work and can't upgrade to 12.10 just yet, so I haven't gotten there. But I know I'd certainly take Unity or Gnome 3 over Windows 8, no question about that. I gave Windows 8 an honest try for at least a month, it was awful. I actually replaced it with 12.10 on my home computer/server and went back to using my MacBook as a front end.

And excuse the double quote but thank you for pointing this out. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ubuntu developers definitely should have waited to implement Unity when it was so new. They should have let it mature a little more first, but now it's a full year later and it has improved.

I do think they should have waited a little longer as it is still a bit buggy but it has definitely improved either way.

Most people just don't like it because it's not what they're used to but that's the nature of computers, it's best to get used to new interfaces/features so you know how to use them instead of just switching to old interfaces to avoid dealing with it. That's just like delaying the inevitable. Unity is pretty decent when you get used to it but there are still a few more bugs they have to fix before I would consider it "matured".

i like Gnome Shell the best. Just bump the mouse to the corner and bam its open, back again and bam its closed. I like how you can also switch apps from that panel as well. I was able to navigate around various tasks pretty darn fast with that UI.

What is this "pain" they speak of? Because clicking on a square on your screen that says 'desktop' to get a familiar interface is torture compared to learning an entirely different layout.

Don't get me wrong, I've played around with Ubuntu for years and its a pretty decent OS, but this kind of advertising won't help.

the point is YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SWITCH BETWEEN TABLET UI AND DESKTOP.

Tablet UI doesn't not belong on Desktop, end of story.

No matter what, Haters gonna hate. Whether it be Windows Haters, Linux Haters or Mac Haters. It's all part of a cycle that needs to be broken. Rise up and break the chains of Hate People! :p

I wonder if there's a difference between what OS Romney and Obama uses.... /rant

I am using Ubuntu 12.10 as we speak. Being a big Windows fan since Win 95, I am considering moving to Ubuntu. In light of Win 8, as well as the fact that 95% of my apps on Win 7 are open source. So I can go to Ubuntu and loose nearly nothing in productivity. I admit, I hated Ubuntu in the past. I guess I didn't really look into it. Or understood it. I even hated Unity and stayed with Debian. But now I love how it works. Just keep trying, all you need to do. And this try happens to be free.

Aah Linux. Over 2 decades in and still waiting for the "Year of the Linux desktop". It is, and always will be, a niche OS. Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

I have no issue with Linux itself and I use it at home for a server. It's infinitely cheaper than a Unix license. I just wouldn't have any use for it as a desktop OS any more than I would Unix.

I've said this before but there are tons of things in life you shouldn't have to do, your point is moot because you do have a choice, you don't even have to buy W8

• Like 1

Ha as if Linux desktop environments never went backwards causing regressions. Last time I checked, GNOME 3 by default removed minimize, maximize buttons. And Unity tries to do away with notification area! :p When will KDE, GNOME, Unity stop going backwards.....

When was the last time you you checked Linux interfaces? 1991, perhaps?

You are saying Unity has no notification area? What?

Notification-Area.jpg

You are talking about something that I believe was missing with v11.04 and has been changed since. I guess certain things don't show but things that I use do, and there is a way to re-enable it in settings somewhere anyways. I suggest you use things before you talk about them, otherwise you are just spreading misinformation.

GNOME 3, on the other hand, is regression because it is supposed to be a touch-screen interface.

GNOME is being stripped of a lot of useful features, but why imply that Linux users like this? They don't, they install a new one. I have yet to meet a single Linux user that likes the

in GNOME 3. It's missing a desktop area too. Something you can enable but it's annoying. You can change a lot of these features in the settings but it is really annoying to do so.

"Avoid the pain of Windows 8 - Enjoy the torture that is Unity?"

For the second time, to the two above...

2d417e1231041197c1ab379b434f43c4.png

http://lubuntu.net/

http://xubuntu.org/

http://ubuntustudio.org/

http://www.kubuntu.org/

http://mythbuntu.org/

There is choice in the matter, here.

I actually am starting to like Unity lately, it's just hard to get used to. A little buggy because it's not very mature yet but things have already improved over the last year.

Oh! "End of story", you say! Well clearly just by uttering those three words, the universe has bestowed the mantle of truth upon you. If you had just given your opinion and ended it with something ignorant and idiotic like punctuation alone, then you would've risked being wrong. Thank god (who is an ocean dragon, end of story) you didn't make a terrible mistake like that, and instead achieved absolute oneness with the singular state of the universe by the awesome, raw power of those three words.

• Like 3