PC to TV HD Wireless Streaming - Need Advice Please

This link sums up my issues.

I quoted the info for you...

I have looked at several posted solutions and configuration settings. I'm stumped.

I am currently using a CGD24G netgear wireless hi-speed cable router, a windows 7 PC (very fast gaming computer - i7 overclocked) with serviio installed, and a brand new Samsung UN40EH5300 TV.

I have tried this solution, and this solution, to no avail. Also done alot of trial and error with the settings. I am currently using the default config for profile "Samsung TV / player (C/D/E-series)."

What happens is with every other file, the video play is great - I can even fast forward and rewind to some extent. But with MKV the stream stutters and I get "loading..." every ten seconds or so. I just can't figure it out. Please halp! lol.

Update: I let a movie (Avatar.mkv) run for a little while through the stuttering. About 5 minutes in, the periods between "loading..." increase and It becomes somewhat watchable. But then about 20-30 minutes into it, I get disconnected with this message "device disconnected device:serviio." My router has "transmission speeds of up to 54Mbps." Are these problems because my router simply isn't fast enough?

The disconnects happen even if I am not watching an mkv file. Any ideas on all this?

I was wondering if I should get a new wireless modem (or if this is a more elusive issue). I think I need dual band to stream mkv files this large. Any suggestions?

I'd say definitely get and 'N' router, preferably dual-band. Just because your router would be dual-band doesn't mean your device would be, so keep that in mind. The best solution, if it's possible, would be to wire it.

I'd say definitely get and 'N' router, preferably dual-band. Just because your router would be dual-band doesn't mean your device would be, so keep that in mind. The best solution, if it's possible, would be to wire it.

I can't really wire it because it's too far away and it would look really, really tacky. I also plan on adding more wireless devices around the apartment later.

So, I guess I am looking for a wireless modem (by that I mean a single piece of hardware that acts as both modem and wireless router) with these abilities:

• 300+ MB/S Transfer Rate
  • Dual Band
  • QoS, or WMM abilities

Any ideas on a specific model? Id pay $100-150 if I could find a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

i seen the described issue with that file type across a wide range of networks and equipment. so it ended up being a player/codec issue. i have worked with streaming video to av equipment since 2002 and am still not happy with wireless. wired is still the best way to go to your tv.

i have worked with streaming video to av equipment since 2002 and am still not happy with wireless. wired is still the best way to go to your tv.

+1

I tried to get my XBox 360 and my Western Digital box to work properly over N but never got good enough results. Ended up using a powerline ethernet setup and they work great now.

"I can't really wire it because it's too far away and it would look really, really tacky"

So the run would be longer than 100 meters? That is one freaking Large HOUSE!! So you thinking wireless is going to cover that distance?

As to tacky? You put a jack on the wall, and then run the cable up into the attic or down into the basement or crawlspace and then up/down into the room you need it and then another jack on the wall.

How does that look tacky?

Even if you don't have access to attic or basement, running it under baseboards along the walls works too. How is something you don't see tacky? Now sure if your going to lay the cable across the middle of the floor that would be tacky ;)

If you don't have the skills to do such a thing? Have a buddy that does, supply the beer or hire someone to do it. If you don't have the right to put holes in walls, etc. Then use a powerline adapter vs wireless.

Wireless is for mobile devices, not stationary devices.

First, Wireless N will not get you the speeds you want for flawless HD streaming. Especially with larger files that some of us use.

If you can not directly hard wire them together, your best option will be this - https://www.google.com/search?q=powerline+adapter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I am using a brand of powerline adapters from Netgear. They work perfectly for streaming HD content over large distances. You just plug 1 adapter in near your router and run a ethernet cord into it. Then you plug in the other adapter near your TV/PS3/Whatever and run an ethernet cable from it into your device.

If the wiring is just somewhat decent in your house, you should get speeds that are basically the same as if you were hard wired into your modem/router.

It's a little pricey, but they work perfectly, at least for me. I stream 18gb 1080p movies all the time, and never once had an issue with it.