Whats 1 divided by 0

1 / 0  

106 members have voted

1. 1. 1 divided by 0

• We got a badass over here

Since you can't really divide up zero, try using numbers that are close to zero, like 1/0.001 then try 1/0.00001 and keep making the number smaller, watch what happens as you get closer to zero.

• Like 2

Why would you- OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-----------*

I think this poll is flawed. I am lead to believe that division by zero is, in fact, illegal!

I ran this script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "1/0 == " . 1/0 . "\n";
[/CODE]

And it gave me the following output:

[CODE]
Illegal division by zero at ./dbz.pl line 2.
[/CODE]

Therefore I drew the conclusion that division by zero is illegal. So illegal, in fact, that the Perl compiler won't even compile the script!

The answer is the meaning of life and all existence.

Is that why its illegal?! That confirms it. This thread should definitely be moved to the Its a Conspiracy! subforum now!

Of course, in mathematics, 1 - or any number for that matter divided by 0 is infinity. Why would you not give that as an option? Or do you truly not know?

Since you can't really divide up zero, try using numbers that are close to zero, like 1/0.001 then try 1/0.00001 and keep making the number smaller, watch what happens as you get closer to zero.

Bigger, not smaller

Bigger, not smaller

No, smaller.

0.01 is much larger than 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

$.1 = one dime

$.01 = one penny

Which is smaller?

Any finite number divided by 0 equals infinity. Do what Joe USer says.

By dividing 1 by 0, you're asking the question: How many times does 0 fit into 1?

Each time you do what Joe USer says, you're ask that question.

An infinite amount of times. So in a sense, you can but at the same time you can't. It depends on what you want to do. You can't turn it around, like, multiply the quotient with 0 and you'll get 0. So, you have to break rules to use infinity. You can't say "impossible", you need to think outside the box. Infinity is a funny subject.

There's no definitive answer. It depends on the use of the division and the context.

Computers don't like dividing by zero because it runs a loop of add (adding a negative) to see how many times it fits and what's left results in the carry. Computers don't compute infinity. So to stop the processor from stalling, they've added an exception and you need to write code to catch that or check it before you divide.

Subtract (negative add) the dividend/numerator with the divisor/denominator until you reach zero. Do this until you can't subtract anymore and return the quotient. If the remainder is not 0 then set the carry-flag and write the remainder to X (depending on architecture).

1/1 = 1

1/.5 = 2

1/.25 = 4

1/.125 = 8

1/.0625 = 16

1/.01 = 100

1/.001 = 1000

so, we see that when denominator goes decreasing result goes increasing keeping numerator constant. now lets presume that denominator is infinity away from zero and then we use it as denomintaor to divide 1 then we get closest to infinity. you can imagin it.

The answer is the meaning of life and all existence.

That would be 42.

That would be 42.

Thank you! That makes sooooo much more sense! Between ShMaunder's comment and your clarification I now know that 1/0 = 42.

1/1 = 1

1/.5 = 2

1/.25 = 4

1/.125 = 8

1/.0625 = 16

1/.01 = 100

1/.001 = 1000

so, we see that when denominator goes decreasing result goes increasing keeping numerator constant. now lets presume that denominator is infinity away from zero and then we use it as denomintaor to divide 1 then we get closest to infinity. you can imagin it.

Thank you, Sir BODMAS