Scientists jailed for quake prediction

Heh, you clearly don't know what really happened here: before the major earthquake event there was a swarm of weaker shocks, and this for days. The people sentenced were the ones responsible of warning people about the danger, the say everything was OK (in fact, it wasn't OK at all), now they go to jail. End of the story.

And you don't understand science. End of story.

• Like 1

Only in Florid.... Only in Americ..... Only in Ira....... Only in Germa...... WTF!

Read this a few days ago, and it still baffles me. I can't believe that this is acceptable at all.

Exactly.

Unfortunately it's a very human thing to generalise. If 1 member of a family does something bad then many will say they are a bad family and assume they all have similar ways. This scales up exponentially to where if a few people from a country do something then the whole nation is judged based on that. (even to a point where 'roadwarrior' manages to bring people from within a whole continent in to it.)

It's pretty much the basis of racism. If one person from a certain background does something bad to someone then that person will generally not like any person from that background, instead of realising that there are good and bad humans from all race, religion, nation, continent. Individuals are bad for a reason that goes down to a genetic level, not up to the various collective levels

Fighting that trait in humans is going to be a very long battle, not won in ours or our children's lifetimes sadly.

In fact just looking at a photo of an American's car that has political stickers all of it. One Says "All i need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11"

Bolstering my point above. It was the act of a very tiny minority of Islam.

Luckily I don't assume all Americanc have this point of view!

"The people sentenced were the ones responsible of warning people about the danger, the say everything was OK (in fact, it wasn't OK at all), now they go to jail. End of the story."

You are in danger of being hit by a meteroite everytime you go outside. Build an underground bunker and stay there NOW.

And even if they had all the data to alert on the possibility, they don't because someone commanded them to lie and they obey.

IF that's truly the case, that someone ordered them to deliberately lie. Then it's the person who gave that order who should be in jail, not the seismologists.

IF that's truly the case, that someone ordered them to deliberately lie. Then it's the person who gave that order who should be in jail, not the seismologists.

both actually

and again they are condemned for having all the info necessary and for not scientific reasons hiding them, not for not having predicted the earthquake

there has been a wild political and economic speculation over this tragedy, there were too many interest in not doing nothing and making a lot of money from it

And if a astronomer sees an asteroid and doesn't inform the population he's guilty too

Do you have any other catastrophic movie to cite?

And if a astronomer sees an asteroid and doesn't inform the population he's guilty too

You do realize that prediction is not an exact science, so to speak. What if they released all this information and panic ensued and people died because of it. Would they be held accountable for that as well? It seems there is no way for them to win.