Solar Storm

Last updated at 11:36 Oct.28, Sina Sci-Tech

1_2-1-13-428_2003102811369.jpg

The link:

http://tech.sina.com.cn/other/2003-10-28/1...136249271.shtml

FYI:

Solar Storm Warning. An interplanetary shock wave from a solar coronal mass ejection is expected to pass our planet this Thursday. ... If a gust of solar wind is very strong -- as this one might be -- it can compress the magnetosphere and unleash a geomagnetic storm.

Please post the link about the event you found in your national media.

A bit late JohnsonBox :ermm: ....

But as it's JohnsonBox, I'll let it slide :woot: :laugh: ....

Radish?

No, it's not late, since the one last week, there are more that are supposed to break out during this week!

Anyone notice the date, on Johnsonbox's picture???

Last updated at 11:36 Oct.28, Sina Sci-Tech... how could that be last week?!?

It was on MSN last night, just can't find the link now....

actually I think it broke loose this morning

SEVERE SOLAR ACTIVITY: One of the most powerful solar flares in years, a remarkable X17-category explosion, erupted from giant sunspot 486 this morning at approximately 1110 UT and, as a result, a strong solar radiation storm is in progress. The explosion hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward Earth. When it left the sun, the cloud was traveling 2125 km/s (more than 4 million mph). This CME could trigger bright auroras when it sweeps past our planet perhaps as early as tonight.
cme_c3_big.gif
Above: This SOHO coronagraph image captured at 12:18 UT shows the coronal mass ejection of Oct. 28th billowing directly toward Earth. Such clouds are called halo CMEs. The many speckles are solar protons striking the coronagraph's CCD camera.

No, it's not late, since the one last week, there are more that are supposed to break out during this week!

Anyone notice the date, on Johnsonbox's picture???

Last updated at 11:36 Oct.28, Sina Sci-Tech... how could that be last week?!?

It was on MSN last night, just can't find the link now....

Thanks for putting it right, pimpshiznid!

Radish, you've not gone crazy this time, but gone groggy. :) But since you are Radish, you will recover in a second. Good luck!

And to beware of it tonight! (Solar storm "sweeps past our planet perhaps as early as tonight". See the link adonai offered http://www.spaceweather.com/

we might have some cool auroras reaching down to the mid-latitude us...RIGHT WERE I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :bounce:

it's not attacking earth...we just happen to be in the path of the cme...i hope that the chinese govt or media isn't trying to scare the people in your country

Scientists again warned that communications on Earth could be disrupted this week by another spectacular eruption on the surface of the Sun and that it might even hamper firefighting efforts in California.

"It's headed straight for us like a freight train," said John Kohl, a solar astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. "This is the real thing."

Predictions are it could strike Earth's magnetic field by midday Wednesday.

The explosion of gas and charged particles into space from the corona, the outermost layer of the sun's atmosphere, isn't harmful to people. But it can knock out satellite communications, which some emergency crews are relying on in battling California's wildfires.

Similar solar events in recent years have disrupted television transmissions, GPS navigation, oil pipeline controls and even the flow of electricity along power lines.

From the Washington Post

And a larger size of the pic johnson posted:

mdf394386.jpg

so what does all this mean for us? it effect anything? something to be worried about? should i put hte popcorn in the microwave now?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/28/s...lare/index.html

Third largest solar flare on record -- easily the largest to ever come directly at earth.

Electronics *may* have weirdness occur at times for a couple days, especially things like cell phones.

Auroras are likely to visibly occur at various points on the planet as geomagnetic effects occur. Keep an eye on your sky.

Wednesday and Thursday (10/29 and 10/30) should get the bulk of effects.

On Oct.29, Japan's spaceflight organization announced Japan's communication satellite Kodama has gone to stop transmitting signals at the night of Oct 28. The accident is caused by solar magnetic storm.

According to AP report, Kodama recovered when the activity of sunspot weakened.

(Lasted updated at 16:45, Oct 29, XinHua Network)

Posted 10/29/2003 9:03 AM

Sun hurls solar flare at Earth

By The Associated Press

Another spectacular eruption on the surface of the Sun sent charged particles hurling toward Earth on Wednesday, and scientists said the cloud could significantly disrupt communications on Earth and may even hamper firefighting efforts in California. :rolleyes:

"It's headed straight for us like a freight train," said John Kohl, a solar astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. "This is the real thing."

In Tokyo, Japan's space agency announced the Kodama communications satellite malfunctioned after being affected by the flare. The agency said it was temporarily shut down and would be reactivated after the solar storm subsided.

The explosion of gas and charged particles into space from the corona, the outermost layer of the sun's atmosphere, isn't harmful to people. But it can knock out satellite communications, which some emergency crews are relying on in battling California's wildfires.

Similar solar events in recent years have disrupted television transmissions, GPS navigation, oil pipeline controls and even the flow of electricity along power lines.

Space weather forecasters first warned of that possibility last week, when a previous solar flare erupted, and then they saw a new sunspot region developing in another region of the sun's face.

The cloud of charged particles from last week's eruption struck Earth "with only a glancing blow," Kohl said. It disrupted some airline communications.

But Kohl said scientists observed the biggest such explosion in 30 years shortly before 6 a.m. ET Tuesday. It produced a particle cloud 13 times larger than Earth and hurtled through the solar system at more than 1 million miles per hour.

The resulting geomagnetic storm could be ranked among the most powerful of its kind and last for 24 hours. It is expected to disrupt the communications satellites and high frequency radios.

In southern California, wildfires already have knocked out many microwave communication antennas on the ground, making satellite communications important to emergency efforts. Researchers said safety personnel might encounter communications interference.

Federal researchers said they already have turned off instruments and taken other precautions with science satellites.

A positive note: strong geomagnetic storms can produce colorful auroras in the night sky visible as far south as Texas and Florida beginning late Wednesday.

Sunspots and solar storms tend to occur in 11-year cycles; the current cycle peaked in late 2000.

Scientists compared the latest flare to the "Bastille Day storm" that occurred in July 2000.

"The Bastille Day storm produced considerable disruption to both ground and space high-tech systems," said Bill Murtagh, a space weather forecaster for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The link:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2003-...lar-storm_x.htm

Whoa! This news is absolutely the same to the news published by washingtonpost! See adonai's post.

I guess USAToday may have "borrowed" the news from washingpost, but changed the orginal title from "New Solar Flare Detected" to the new title "Sun hurls solar flare at Earth"! :whistle:

Anyways, USAToday has attached importance to this news, while some brainless American(s) complained the news is useless except freaking them out. :whistle:

Edited by JohnsonBox

I've had an interesting read in http://dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com/ There is an article in the very top line of its home page, which seems related to Solar Storm and the writer of the article got confused by the special problem that is most likely caused by Solar Storm.

Tuesday October 28, 2003 (I don't know why this site labled Oct.28 today in its home page!)

XM PCR

While wandering through the mall yesterday, I noticed that the XM Satellite Radio vendor in the mall had a device they called "XM PCR". It's an XM receiver for your PC (running Windows). Cool user interface:

xmpcr.png

It worked fine last night, and is working fine again today. However, during the hours in which sunlight was shining into the room, it resolutely refused to work. I find this very odd: it cannot see the satellite because it's too sunny? Today was a pretty typically sunny day in Colorado. So I'm wondering if there are others readers who are running an XM PCR, and whether they're having similar issues? (I tried calling tech support, but they're not answering because of the California wild fires, I think.)

So far, when it's worked, I've been exceedingly happy with the UI and the sound quality. The news channels have some noticable compression artifacts, and the audio channels are slightly compressed, but all in all, extremely listenable even for someone as picky as me.

Edited by JohnsonBox

Link

TOKYO - Japanese space agency officials, already forced to temporarily shut down one satellite, said Thursday they had lost contact with a second satellite that may have been affected by an electromagnetic storm caused by the largest solar flare observed in decades.

From Japans Northern skies:

capt.tok11010300823.japan_solar_flare_tok110.jpg