Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

2962czr.png

Well, if you?ve been wondering what Quentin Tarantino?s next movie will be, the wait is over. Quentin has put pen to paper recently (which pens you should really know, as a true fan) and after what is known as publishing day, another ?magnus opum? is now seeing the light of day.

Tarantino fans rejoice, for what we have here, officially, is Senor Q. T?s latest ?.. DJANGO UNLEASHED [actually, if you look at the pic, it's 'Django Unchained']

And while you are recovering from your heart attacks, let me run this down for you my friends, geek style. The two-word Tarantino movie title is back, and we have a deuce reference. Of course to the ever legendary spaghetti western Django of 1966 by Sergio Corbucci (click this link now if you have no idea who either of these are), and of course Sukiyaki Western Django, by the revered Takashi Miike in which Q shot a snake! Django is of course the fella with the gatling gun in his coffin? but what if QT unleashes a Django onto the screen? Fiesta?..

At this point we cannot confirm whether this has anything to do with recent rumors that this might be Quentin?s ?southern? or if it is a ?real? spaghetti western or anything else.

Source

Awesome. QT is a god. Imagine the awesomeness if QT and Bruce Campbell got together ... Dusk Til Dawn 2 doesnt count ...

A little part deep down inside me wants it to have something to do with Django Reinhardt, though that would be quite improbable.

Wasn't that why the original Django film had the main character have his hand destroyed, in a matter not entirely unlike that of Django Reinhardt? I think there is the connection you speak of.

The same wikipedia for the film Django entry notes that "The ear-severing scene in Reservoir Dogs, directed by Quentin Tarantino has been said to have been inspired from the similar scene in Django." I don't know which is creepier, Corbucci's ear-removal scene, or Tarantino's.

This is cool in any case, as Tarantino is going back to the well! :)

Will Smith has emerged as the frontrunner to star in Quentin Tarantino?s next film, a spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife.

Tarantino stalwarts Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz also are circling key parts.

Django Unchained, Tarantino?s follow up to his worldwide blockbuster Inglourious Basterds, will be distributed domestically by the Weinstein Co. but Tarantino is in the process of selecting a studio partner to release the film internationally. Sources say he is meeting with Universal executives today, and similar meetings with Sony, Paramount, Warner Bros. and possibly others have been scheduled.

Sources prepped for those meetings say Tarantino would like Smith to star in the film, the script for which has been making the rounds in recent days to wide acclaim. No official offer has been made to Smith, and any deal would of course be subject to working out financials, which might be difficult given Smith's status as one of Hollywood's few sure-thing stars.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-smith-emerges-as-frontrunner-186250

Thanks James :) Never made the connection between them.

No problem! Actually, the hand-mutilation theme is quite common in Spaghetti Westerns. In Django, the coffin-dragging hero, played by Franco Nero, has his hands trampled by horses. In other films, guys have their hands shot through, like in Robert Rodriguez's El Mariachi trilogy (and in the Rodriguez/Tarantino film From Dusk Till Dawn).

I think both Tarantino and Rodriguez get a lot of inspiration from Spaghetti Westerns. One of the musical themes in Kill Bill is lifted straight from a Spaghetti Western (Navajo Joe, I think--another Corbucci film).

I always approach Tarantino films with caution. Some are instant classics whilst others copy far too much from their inspirations. Nonetheless, I'll keep my ear to the ground for this one.

I always approach Tarantino films with caution. Some are instant classics whilst others copy far too much from their inspirations. Nonetheless, I'll keep my ear to the ground for this one.

yeah this wont be a run of the mill westerns

• 1 month later...
Thanks to a tweet from podcast interviewer extraordinaire Jeff Goldsmith, rumours have been flying for more than a week about the possibility of Leonardo DiCaprio being Quentin Tarantino?s top choice to play the villainous Calvin Candie in spaghetti Western/revenge pic Django Unchained. Now, according to Deadline, they?re looking to make it real, with DiCaprio entering early talks to snatch the part.

While it?s still early days on the deal front, QT has been after DiCaprio for a while now, having looked to get him on board for Inglourious Basterds. He?s apparently even more eager to have him pay the charismatic yet utterly evil Candie, who runs the Candyland club in Mississippi, and holds human life in scant regard.

But while DiCaprio sitting down for negotiations on the bad guy role is good news for the writer/director, Tarantino still has the tricky issue of casting the hero Django ? a freed slave who becomes a bounty hunter and goes up against Candie in order to track down his wife. While Will Smith has long been assumed as a shoe-in for the lead, especially since his regular studio parnters Sony signed on to distribute the film outside the US, Deadline?s report mentions that he?s dragging his heels on the decision. And there are even whispers of a back-up list, including Idris Elba (yes, please), Jamie Foxx and Chris Tucker. Yes, Rush Hour?s Chris Tucker. Who, incidentally, appeared in Jackie Brown.

Fingers crossed QT gets his dream cast, especially since the idea of Smith going up against DiCaprio (and Sam Jackson as Candie?s valet) after being trained by Christoph Waltz?s bounty hunting legend is one that has us doing the dance of joy.

http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/592/f/7507/s/15ba2f4e/l/0L0Sempireonline0N0Cnews0Cstory0Basp0DNID0F31180A/story01.htm

Dammit, I was thinking Rango when I was reading this not Django

Although a Tarantino version of Rango would be funny as hell

I shall look forward to this movie

Thanks James :) Never made the connection between them.

Entered this thread thinking the same.

Not to thread jack, but, when do we get Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair Blu Ray? He said he was going to work on it after Inglorious Basterds

Not to thread jack, but, when do we get Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair Blu Ray? He said he was going to work on it after Inglorious Basterds

he said he had ideas but wanted to work on this first

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Quentin Tarantino is currently busy shooting his slavery-era spaghetti western Django Unchained, and now the first images from the set have landed online. We get our first look at Christoph Waltz in character as a German bounty hunter who teams up with an escaped slave (Jamie Foxx) who?s bent on rescuing his wife from an evil plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). It?s not much, but the sight of Waltz decked out in his period gear has me giddy at the thought of a Tarantino-fied full blown Western. We also get an image of the director on set with cinematographer Robert Richardson.

rhg4s.jpg

gqFvd.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Django Unchained': Kurt Russell, Sacha Baron Cohen Drop Out Of Quentin Tarantino's Latest

"Django Unchained" is due in theaters on Christmas Day, but that hasn't prevented the film from going through some eleventh casting fluctuations.

Quentin Tarantino's latest has apparently lost both Sacha Baron Cohen and Kurt Russell from its impressive roster, which includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson and Don Johnson. Their departures come on the heels of news that Joseph Gordon-Levitt couldn't make an appearance in "Django Unchained" work out either.

Cohen revealed he wasn't a part of "Django" during an interview with Howard Stern; the actor -- who had been set for a cameo role -- was unable to make the film work out due to his press commitments for "The Dictator."

As for Russell, it's unclear as to why he's no longer participating in the film. His exit was confirmed by Variety reporter Jeff Sneider.

Meanwhile, Gordon-Levitt had to bow out because of his busy schedule.

"I've been in touch with Quentin about it, and it was so cool to trust me to do this little part in his movie," JoGo told MTV News. "I would have loved, loved to have done it. He's one of my very favorite filmmakers, and he was really supportive of me directing and that meant the world to me." Gordon-Levitt will make his directorial debut this year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/django-unchained-kurt-russell-sacha-baron-cohen_n_1505913.html?ref=entertainment

TIL that this isn't about a high-level Python Web framework.

It's precisely what I thought!

We haven't had a good western movie in some years. Really looking forward to this, especially since it will have that unique style QT brings :)

• 3 weeks later...