Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained'

• 1 month later...

django.jpg

With the help of his mentor, a slave-turned-bounty hunter sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.
Former dentist, Dr. King Schultz, buys the freedom of a slave, Django, and trains him with the intent to make him his deputy bounty hunter. Instead, he is led to the site of Django's wife who is under the hands of Calvin Candie, a ruthless plantation owner.

i never figure with a plotline as simple/outlandish as tarantino's why his movies do well until i watch them and get sucked into it. somehow, he just pulls it off really well. bring it on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Django Unchained" Was Almost Two Films

Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" is 165 minutes long, but it's still much shorter than what the director originally planned. It was so long that Harvey Weinstein suggested splitting it into two films, similar to "Kill Bill."

"At one point Harvey was talking about splitting it up [into two films]. And I said, 'No, it won't work here.' You have to follow Django's journey to the end," explained Tarantino. "There are so many emotions ? there's the action adventure, the comedy that runs through it, there's the pain, there's the suspense, and hopefully at the end there's cheering. If the audience isn't cheering then I haven't done my job."

He went on to say that he wanted to show much more of the pain, but didn't want to traumatize the audience. After "Django Unchained" is released, he'll thinking about released a longer version.

Source: The Playlist

I just got back from seeing this movie and it was really good. The action and comedy fit so well together. If you liked Inglourious Basterds, then you'll love this movie.

I just got back from seeing this movie and it was really good. The action and comedy fit so well together. If you liked Inglourious Basterds, then you'll love this movie.

Way to undersell!!!!!!

Just wow. I'm still reeling from this movie, and I saw it last night. Amazing.

I don't know where to start, but I'll try to make sense.

This might be one of QT's best.... there is talk this it is too drawn out or too stylized at the end from the rest of the movie, but I think those are just views of people who don't understand what QT does.

First, it is drawn out. 165 minutes long. There are scenes where people are walking to a house, and basically, you are just watching them walk the whole time. You might think this is boring.... but it's part of QT's style. He's making his picture seem realistic. Life has boring parts, and there isn't always action, sometimes just people going somewhere. But it is always part of a build up to a much larger scene. He takes his time and builds up everything to the breaking point, then slams your head in with a hammer. He has moments of comedy, of over the top violence, then he has the moments in the movie that just silence the theater. One particular moment is the "mandingo" fight you first see. This is what QT does though. He shows you glorified violence, then shows you what real violence is like, and why the 2 are totally different. You get this feeling from the scene, that really just sets the mood for the rest of the movie after that.

Christoph Waltz, brilliant. His character carried the movie through the first half. I don't want to ruin anything, but his character is so relatable, it was hard not to feel anything at the end.

Jammie Foxx did a great job in this movie as well. Love how Django and Hildi are supposed to be Shaft's great great great grands :p

Leo stole every scene he was in though. And the scene where he really cut his hand and kept going, just wow. Even having read about it before hand and having time to prepare, I was still mortified when he smeared it on hildi.... that was a natural real reaction from her.

I sure hope QT isn't done making films if he is still making them of this caliber. But in the movie, you can tell, hes living very well these days :p

You and Shakey have convinced me to go watch it. Even though I've planned on watching it anyway. lol.

Way to undersell!!!!!!

Just wow. I'm still reeling from this movie, and I saw it last night. Amazing.

I don't know where to start, but I'll try to make sense.

This might be one of QT's best.... there is talk this it is too drawn out or too stylized at the end from the rest of the movie, but I think those are just views of people who don't understand what QT does.

First, it is drawn out. 165 minutes long. There are scenes where people are walking to a house, and basically, you are just watching them walk the whole time. You might think this is boring.... but it's part of QT's style. He's making his picture seem realistic. Life has boring parts, and there isn't always action, sometimes just people going somewhere. But it is always part of a build up to a much larger scene. He takes his time and builds up everything to the breaking point, then slams your head in with a hammer. He has moments of comedy, of over the top violence, then he has the moments in the movie that just silence the theater. One particular moment is the "mandingo" fight you first see. This is what QT does though. He shows you glorified violence, then shows you what real violence is like, and why the 2 are totally different. You get this feeling from the scene, that really just sets the mood for the rest of the movie after that.

Christoph Waltz, brilliant. His character carried the movie through the first half. I don't want to ruin anything, but his character is so relatable, it was hard not to feel anything at the end.

Jammie Foxx did a great job in this movie as well. Love how Django and Hildi are supposed to be Shaft's great great great grands :p

Leo stole every scene he was in though. And the scene where he really cut his hand and kept going, just wow. Even having read about it before hand and having time to prepare, I was still mortified when he smeared it on hildi.... that was a natural real reaction from her.

I sure hope QT isn't done making films if he is still making them of this caliber. But in the movie, you can tell, hes living very well these days :p

Haha! I would've gone into more detail but I was tired. It really was an amazing movie. It's definitely one of the best I've seen ever. Quentin Tarantino is a truly talented writer and director. He really knows how to make a movie that's both serious and funny. Also, I think Christoph Waltz is the most-talented actor I know of. His performance in Inglourious Basterds was superb. And his performance in Django Unchained was just as good, if not better. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jamie Foxx were good too.

You and Shakey have convinced me to go watch it. Even though I've planned on watching it anyway. lol.

It's definitely worth seeing in theatre. :yes:

Yeah this is a movie that's classic QT, worth seeing more than once, just so many funny scenes too talk about, this movie reminded me of Four Rooms an old QT film.