Windows 8 $14.99 Upgrade Code is Now available

If you do want the x64 upgrade ISO but only running on x86, install a x64 WRP and run the WUA, then you will download the x64.

Of course, the simpler way is just install a MSDN x64 and apply the key.

The win8 key, like win7 keys, is good for x86 or x64, and good for any language edition installed. :)

I'm kinda confused. I have 3 drives on my comp and the OS is installed on the SSD which is only 60gb. When you go to settings and look at available space, it only shows you the drive which the OS is installed. Just wondering if there is anyway to install all the MS store apps to drive D instead of C.

I can confirm:

The key WORKS on clean install provided you use the MSDN ISO and not the one you download in the process of obtaining the key.

I entered the key during the setup and it auto activated once windows was online.

• Like 2

I can confirm:

The key WORKS on clean install provided you use the MSDN ISO and not the one you download in the process of obtaining the key.

I entered the key during the setup and it auto activated once windows was online.

Even better then, as i was going to use the ISO from MSDN anyway (Y) thanks for the info.

If you place an EI.CFG in the / sources folder before you build the ISO with the following information in it, you should be able to use the ISO for a clean install

[Channel]

_Default

I can confirm:

According to another site you can use the download one as well so are you sure?

Many people were complaining that they had to resort to registry hack to get the download one to work. I already had access to MSDN iso so didn't bother downloading the image again. MSDN one does not require any hack. No biggie since its just a minor hassle.

I used the one I downloaded one when I purchased using the assistant program. Did a clean install no prob.

I used the one I downloaded one when I purchased using the assistant program. Did a clean install no prob.

I can confirm this, using the ISO file, created when downloading from Microsoft, allows you to do a clean install and WILL activated perfectly fine.

As long as it detects Windows 7 on your hard drive, it will clean install fine.

Something I just thought about, and apologies if it has been discussed, I am currently trying to make a failed Windows 8 upgrade into something salvageable. Since from what I have read in this thread, it sounds like this upgrade code replaces the original serial number and becomes the license for whatever PC you use it on. Correct? If so, can you use just it to install Win 8 Pro when asked for the serial on install? Then perhaps use the original serial number that came with the install disk on a whole different install?

I used the one downloaded from the upgrade process, did a clean install and the activation worked just fine.

I'd imagine it'll cost the same to do an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro as going from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro, right?

Or will there be a difference, seeing is that the upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate is damn near 200 bucks, and basicly all you get is the cool name, lol.

Upgraded to release preview since.... So I have no way of knowing my win7 key in order to have my coupon! Great!

I can confirm this, using the ISO file, created when downloading from Microsoft, allows you to do a clean install and WILL activated perfectly fine.

what if it detects win8 rp?

Upgraded to release preview since.... So I have no way of knowing my win7 key in order to have my coupon! Great!

what if it detects win8 rp?

I'm not sure. The only way to find that out is to give it a go, if it doesn't work let us know and just use the registry fix to activate it :)

Oh so is that the difference? The download version checks for Win 7 whereas the MSDN one does not.

I have the ISO downloaded through MSDN and I am very close to upgrading with the upgrade offer, it is a great offer tbh,

Something is keeping from doing it though :(

I have the ISO downloaded through MSDN and I am very close to upgrading with the upgrade offer, it is a great offer tbh,

Something is keeping from doing it though :(

Just image your system drive before upgrading, keep it safe, as you'll need it. Install Win8 and play around with it, shortly realising it has to be removed (wont take long, believe me), but no worries, just restore your drive from image made earlier. ;) You lost a little bit of cash, yeah, but just think of it a a bad 'bet' on horses, you backed the donkey. :)