Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

Evidently. Some people just can't handle that opinions exist and that they differ.

The one thing I don't like though is when someone tries to tell me that I'm not entitled to my opinions...it's one of the few things in life we are entitled to. :p

I gotta agree there :) Yup.

Microsoft should have cut out the legacy crap from Windows RT. Certainly, half of it doesn't even need to be there.

This kind of comments makes me wonder what the **** people prising the "beautiful", "wonderful", "fast" and "fluid" world of Windows 8 have up their own mind: did you ever use a computer, before? I mean, the "crap" you are talking about is the standard operating environment that billions of people worldwide see and use everyday. And they are completely fine with that.

And then you point a finger at people which "dare" to criticize that load of uber-**** called Windows 8?!? Go figure....

LOL. We all have opinions, and we're all allowed to have them. If you want to tell me that I'm not entitled to my opinion I do believe you can go find the nearest black hole and drop yourself into it.

Never said you weren't entitled to yours. But you don't have to constantly talk down to everyone that doesn't share them. You really do act as if you're the only "authority" on Windows whose opinion actually matters and it's incredibly irritating.

This kind of comments makes me wonder what the **** people prising the "beautiful", "wonderful", "fast" and "fluid" world of Windows 8 have up their own mind: did you ever use a computer, before? I mean, the "crap" you are talking about is the standard operating environment that billions of people worldwide see and use everyday. And they are completely fine with that.

And then you point a finger at people which "dare" to criticize that load of uber-**** called Windows 8?!? Go figure....

###### are you talking about? Yes, I have used a computer before, but this "crap" is on it's way out. And thank God for that. Some of this stuff dates back to 3.1 and 95. Why do we still have it around? Get rid of it.

###### are you talking about? Yes, I have used a computer before, but this "crap" is on it's way out. And thank God for that. Some of this stuff dates back to 3.1 and 95. Why do we still have it around? Get rid of it.

WHY?! Tell me WHY it NEEDS to be gone? Just because some of it has existed since 3.1 and 95 means it HAS to be gone? WE have not changed, I still use my computer in the most productive environment imaginable. I will never buy a Microsoft product again if what we are used to eventually is "out". I need the free floating windows, not this 70% - 30% only two apps at once garbage.

"But Windows HAS to change to support new technologies" you say? No, they could have easily made the desktop version give us users a choice. And I doubt the desktop will ever be gone like you so want it to.

The wheel is an old technology, do we NEED to get rid of it? Geez just because it has existed for about 20 years does not mean anything. It is still the most efficient way to use a computer in the most productive environment.

Yes, I have used a computer before, but this "crap" is on it's way out. And thank God for that. Some of this stuff dates back to 3.1 and 95. Why do we still have it around? Get rid of it.

Yeah, whatever you say. Enjoy your next car with no brakes, steering wheel or engine whatsoever. You know, that's pretty old stuff'n crap that needs to go away. "Thank God"....

WHY?! Tell me WHY it NEEDS to be gone? Just because some of it has existed since 3.1 and 95 means it HAS to be gone? WE have not changed, I still use my computer in the most productive environment imaginable. I will never buy a Microsoft product again if what we are used to eventually is "out". I need the free floating windows, not this 70% - 30% only two apps at once garbage.

"But Windows HAS to change to support new technologies" you say? No, they could have easily made the desktop version give us users a choice. And I doubt the desktop will ever be gone like you so want it to.

The wheel is an old technology, do we NEED to get rid of it? Geez just because it has existed for about 20 years does not mean anything. It is still the most efficient way to use a computer in the most productive environment.

Yes. There is no reason to drag old, dead code along for the ride. Get rid of what they can, and re-form the rest into functional features for tomorrow's computing needs. Case and point: Windows RT is a clear tablet OS, so why then is there legacy 9x junk still leftover? The WinRT API doesn't even talk/communicate with it in the slightest. So why is it still there? Windows 8 is transitioning into a whole new OS, I betchya I could go into Windows a dig up a DLLs, EXEs, etc that have no function anymore.

Yeah, whatever you say. Enjoy your next car with no brakes, steering wheel or engine whatsoever. You know, that's pretty old stuff'n crap that needs to go away. "Thank God"....

Tell me this, would you use a brand new car with 20 year old brakes? 20 year old steering column?

In simple terms it's an age old apologists argument and the basic crux of it is "newer is better"

Yes. There is no reason to drag old, dead code along for the ride. Get rid of what they can, and re-form the rest into functional features for tomorrow's computing needs. Case and point: Windows RT is a clear tablet OS, so why then is there legacy 9x junk still leftover? The WinRT API doesn't even talk/communicate with it in the slightest. So why is it still there? Windows 8 is transitioning into a whole new OS, I betchya I could go into Windows a dig up a DLLs, EXEs, etc that have no function anymore.

Congratulations, you have actually just defeated your own argument without realising it, and for a couple of reasons

1: Not every Windows user will be needing a tablet, so whilst that code may not have use on a tablet, it can still have use on a desktop computer

2: You have touched on the most basic flaw with product bastardisation. You get code in the desktop OS that's useless to a desktop user, and you get code in the tablet OS that is useless to a tablet user. Which is why the "jack of all trades" idea fails. You either remove all of the desktop code and force everyone to use their computer as a tablet and only as a tablet (and removing all the desktop code from Windows would make sales drop REALLY fast, especially amongst businesses) or you branch the code.

Tell me this, would you use a brand new car with 20 year old brakes? 20 year old steering column?

No, you'd update the design. But you wouldn't remove the engine completely and pretend that it no longer has a place in your car, or replace it with an engine that runs on corn syrup when everyone else still uses petroleum.

Don't make ridiculous statements like this with nothing to back it up.

I challenge you to disprove it. Fact is, you can't, so there is nothing I have to do to win the argument.

It has been proven time and time again that [Windows 8] does nothing but increase productivity and make it easier for everyone to use their computer.

I challenge you to disprove it. Fact is, you can't, so there is nothing I have to do to win the argument.

Love it.

Never said you weren't entitled to yours. But you don't have to constantly talk down to everyone that doesn't share them. You really do act as if you're the only "authority" on Windows whose opinion actually matters and it's incredibly irritating.

Talking down implies tone. There is no tone in text. I tend to be straightforward and concise. Any tone you notice is what you put into it.

It's like reading a book. Have you ever read a book then seen a movie based on it and realized certain scenes had a different context due to the emotion shown on screen?

The same principle applies here.

Do I know a lot due to my work and consulting history with MS? Yes.

Will I shy away from attempting to share that knowledge? No.

Will I restate things I know as fact if someone tries to post bogus information? Yes.

Will I shy away from possible confrontation because someone else may not like what I have to say? No.

For me it really is as simple as that. Questions get asked, and I attempt to provide info. There are tons of threads that I don't even touch here because I know there is nothing for me to add.

Make sense? :)

I have to get up right to the edge of the top right to get the charms bar to come out. Whenever I close a window (even full screen) I never come close to tripping the area for it.

I think a lot of people on here have their mouse acceleration turned up really high and it's causing a loss of precision.

Mathworks could have simply built a launcher program to do what they've done in the start menu there.

That type of handling for their products is just lazy.

Don't take it as a serious note... but do you realize that this program is even used by the NASA? I really doubt they use the start menu as is in there... since you can actually use commands for everything, my point is, that menu is there and I really doubt they are going to switch to "live tiles" anytime soon.

My point was that they don't even have to switch to live tiles anytime soon. I said a launcher. The could code a desktop program that would launch a listing of their programs.

It would keep the menus clean...even in Win8 where things are more 'flatland' as far as layout for the all apps section goes.

It's just a lazy way of handling things...it's a mess.

As regards NASA...I didn't say the programming of the apps was bad. I said their handling of the shortcut situation was bad. ;)

I have to get up right to the edge of the top right to get the charms bar to come out. Whenever I close a window (even full screen) I never come close to tripping the area for it.

I think a lot of people on here have their mouse acceleration turned up really high and it's causing a loss of precision.

My mouse speed is just fine. For some reason I do not need to be right up at the corner, it seems to be a very large "hit box" to activate that bar. It is annoying. There is no way to disable it?

These invisible menus are driving me crazy. Is there any way to disable them while I work? Is there a shortcut to them them off? This happens every time I close an application.

post-249286-0-74625800-1352233915.jpg

What's the problem? Just hit the close button. Charms doesn't come to the front until you move the cursor down.

My mouse speed is just fine. For some reason I do not need to be right up at the corner, it seems to be a very large "hit box" to activate that bar. It is annoying. There is no way to disable it?

That's weird then. The hit box on my machine seems to be smaller. I run 1680x1050 on my monitor and I think have only triggered it by accident once...and that was when I was experimenting with my acceleration and speed for the mouse.

That's weird then. The hit box on my machine seems to be smaller. I run 1680x1050 on my monitor and I think have only triggered it by accident once...and that was when I was experimenting with my acceleration and speed for the mouse.

He's not the only one constantly triggering the bloody thing. Happens all the time in games too (I run them windowed).

It's fricking annoying.