Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

Start8 to the rescue:

Hot corners are one of the bad things designed on win8 indeed, if they were configurable it would have been better (even as a hidden setting) but no, we have to literally disable them :D

I really do not want to start using third party tools, but this mess is not very fun while working.

Windows 8 requires the use of third party tools just to make it seem kinda 'normal'.

• Like 2

yo dawg, I heard you like logical fallacies...

post-159052-0-84200300-1352214780.png

You haven't accepted the challenge. the only fallacy is your posting off topic pictures because you think it's funny. But keep up the pace, looking like a fool is keeping most of us entertained.

everybody u want a start menu go back to 7 stop ur crying and deal with it

Did I say I wanted the start menu back? I just want to disable these hidden menus and bars while in the desktop environment.

Trying to activate the charms bar on a dual monitor setup also isn't very fun. I know windows 8 has keyboard shortcuts out the ass. Like Windows key +C displays the charms bar. Which is great for someone who knows their ass from a hole in the ground. But what about the average user? They barely know control + c copies.

Hmm.. Neat. I'll have to see if Classic Start menu has that option when I get home...Thanks. :)

Yes, Settings > Windows 8 Settings > Disable Active Corners > Choices are 1) None. 2) Start Screen. 3) All.

Windows 8 requires the use of third party tools just to make it seem kinda 'normal'.

If that were the case I would require 3rd party tools to change things the way you have to work in a 'normal' manner and I don't have any installed.

Hmm...

I have been running Windows 8 for over a year now on a desktop and have become use to it. But now I cant decied on what to install. Apps from the store on the metro side or native apps. For instanse there is the skype version for desktop and there is a version in the metro side. . . which do i use or keep. Also there is another anoying thing with Chrome, Chrome has a sandboxed version in metro and the desktop is completly seperate. Even if operating at the same time. . . its wasting reasources and also anoying.

There is always linux.

I have been running Windows 8 for over a year now on a desktop and have become use to it. But now I cant decied on what to install. Apps from the store on the metro side or native apps. For instanse there is the skype version for desktop and there is a version in the metro side. . . which do i use or keep. Also there is another anoying thing with Chrome, Chrome has a sandboxed version in metro and the desktop is completly seperate. Even if operating at the same time. . . its wasting reasources and also anoying.

There is always linux.

If that were the case I would require 3rd party tools to change things the way you have to work in a 'normal' manner and I don't have any installed.

Hmm...

I work very differently from you, believe me. ;)

I work very differently from you, believe me. ;)

Very likely. I've been working on PC's and doing IT, networking, and QA testing and such for about 15 years professionally...so I tend to use my PC in multiple ways doing about 30 things at once.

For this scenario it works awesome. :)

Well, I go back to my Sinclair ZX80, all those many moons ago, I recall it was difficult to use, but once you got the hang of loading code from tape, it was a breeze, and I suspect it will be the same for Win8, people just adjust, eventually I guess. But at nearly 50 years of age now, and through many iterations of the Windows OS along the years, I'd rather have my ZX80 back in my lap today. :)

Well, I go back to my Sinclair ZX80, all those many moons ago, I recall it was difficult to use, but once you got the hang of loading code from tape, it was a breeze, and I suspect it will be the same for Win8, people just adjust, eventually I guess. But at nearly 50 years of age now, and through many iterations of the Windows OS along the years, I'd rather have my ZX80 back in my lap today. :)

I remember my mom was telling me about having to put things on punch card, and work from that. I can't imagine trying to work with that...it would drive me nuts...well maybe not if I lived back then...but having lived in the here and now? Yeah...crazy making.

My point though was that sometimes we get set in our ways. I know even at just over 30 I have certain ways in which I'm set...but with technology you have to keep moving. It changes...and if you don't like change, you don't like technology. ;)

My point though was that sometimes we get set in our ways. I know even at just over 30 I have certain ways in which I'm set...but with technology you have to keep moving. It changes...and if you don't like change, you don't like technology. ;)

Hey I love 'change', its what keeps the human race progressing. Technology moves that fast now, that its really hard to keep up with it all, but that's good, else, we would stand still, and that's not good.

I think Windows 8 made a leap too far in progressing though. Too much at the one time, as in 'change'. Yes, by all means move forward and do away with the old style. But why not 'introduce' the new, instead of forcing such a 'drastic' change on the end user?

Windows 8 could have easily included what was before, i.e start menu, whatever etc, and still introduced the end user to the new Start screen/features at the same time, then pending feedback from the end user, these old features could have then been removed in the next iteration of Windows?

This would have made users 'warm' more to Windows 8, and give them an insight as to what was coming in the future, rather than the way MS have chosen to do so.

Well that's what they did actually.

The glaring this is the omission of the start button. The start screen however is just a new version of the start menu. The first thing you see is the personalized side of things (like in XP, Vista, and 7 with your most frequently used programs) and then you click on All Apps, and poof there's everything that the old start menu had.

All the old stuff is still there, just presented in a new way. They left the desktop there, and compatibility with all your old drivers and programs. They made sure it was incremental...but still a big enough change in order to move forward.

A lot of people seem to think that things are gone. The only thing that is gone is the graphic for the start button...and the old start menu look. In it's place you now have a 'start corner' if you will...and a full screen start menu with more options and better customization. :)

Well that's what they did actually.

The glaring this is the omission of the start button. The start screen however is just a new version of the start menu. The first thing you see is the personalized side of things (like in XP, Vista, and 7 with your most frequently used programs) and then you click on All Apps, and poof there's everything that the old start menu had.

All the old stuff is still there, just presented in a new way. They left the desktop there, and compatibility with all your old drivers and programs. They made sure it was incremental...but still a big enough change in order to move forward.

A lot of people seem to think that things are gone. The only thing that is gone is the graphic for the start button...and the old start menu look. In it's place you now have a 'start corner' if you will...and a full screen start menu with more options and better customization. :)

I'm not saying your wrong at all, but I just think a 'gradual' progression may have been better?, but hey, that's me, and I don't really care for the start button anyway lol, I use a variety of OS's in my environment, so I'm unaffected really :)

feeling political? miss your start button? start a petition on care2 about it! Lawlz.

I really have nothing to say about that stupid comment, sorry.

Mathworks could have simply built a launcher program to do what they've done in the start menu there.

That type of handling for their products is just lazy.

Yes, they should replace it with a Modern UI/Metro interface with lots of fancy effects, and super large tiles which show equation results. :laugh:

What MathWorks have done is great. It's called "keeping things organized", and compact. Everyone who uses MathWorks will learn that "Start" menu off by heart, and won't have to waste time scrolling across a full-screen tiled menu to access its many options.

I really have nothing to say about that stupid comment, sorry.

well why did you even bother to reply? LOL

Yes, they should replace it with a Modern UI/Metro interface with lots of fancy effects, and super large tiles which show equation results. :laugh:

What MathWorks have done is great. It's called "keeping things organized", and compact. Everyone who uses MathWorks will learn that "Start" menu off by heart, and won't have to waste time scrolling across a full-screen tiled menu to access its many options.

I said a launcher. I never said anything about Metro.

I used to use a ton of programs where instead of 50 start menu entries they had a single entry. It would pull up a launcher with all the programs selectable inside.

I said a launcher. I never said anything about Metro.

I used to use a ton of programs where instead of 50 start menu entries they had a single entry. It would pull up a launcher with all the programs selectable inside.

Sorry about that - I misunderstood. I presume by launcher, you mean something like Backstage in Office 2010:

800px-Office_2010_Backstage.png