Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

The sad thing is that if you remove all metro apps from start screen and you pin the desktop apps you use most, you get windows 7, with a new start screen, plus all the performance upgrades that it carries (this is what i did on my netbook since it can't run metro apps due to low resolution). For me, even on my netbook, it was a stunning update from 7, so i don't know what this guy is talking about.

• Like 3

Here is a big deal between the start menu and the start screen: the jump list and the recent items list, when you work reading as many pdfs as I do... you just really use the jump list.

I pretty much agree with what Peter Bright at Ars Technica had to say about it.

it leaves Windows 8 feeling like two separate operating systems poorly grafted together. You can never avoid the join entirely, but your happiness with Windows 8 will depend heavily on just how often you have to cross over. The more you try to treat the two worlds as equal, integrated peers, the worse Windows 8 gets. The more you stick to one paradigm or the other, the better it is.

(from the last page of his review)

Windows, reimagined: A review of Windows 8

• Like 3

And most importantly, I can't use the Windows key with the same functionality as in Windows 7 and that is the deal breaker for me, in Windows 7 I press the Windows key for everything from opening a program to opening a file to checking system settings, I barely make use of the mouse, in Windows 8 the windows key now has new functionality to go to the latest tile you've been to.

Are you sure you've used Windows 8 yourself? If you did, you'd know that's entirely not true. The Windows key in Windows 7 opened the start menu, and closed it on a second press. The Windows key on Windows 8 opens the start screen, and closes it on a second press. In both OS's, you can press the Windows key, and then immediately type to search.

--

Personally, I can't see what difficulty there is in using both Modern and Desktop UI. I can happily live in both worlds without my brain melting or blowing itself up. It's not even a difficult concept, just people who'd rather not do it. Still, I'm pleasantly surprised about how the general public has reacted to it, I'm seeing pretty much positives everywhere. Which is good.

The people that will have trouble with this are the ones going into it thinking it's just like another version of Windows. It is and it isn't. There's a learning curve involved, you can't really think of it as being JUST like the previous version of Windows. It's sort of akin to Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be more productive than you were in Windows 7.

So far my main problem with metro is that most of the metro apps seem very "half-baked", having silly bugs and lack of basic functionality. Currently the only metro app I've found remotely useful is the weather app, for everything else I still use classic desktop apps.

I don't think its a "disaster", but I do think it needs significant refinement.

That's my main problem, there is no compelling reason to use Metro apps at the moment. They are all so basic, lacks features. So, I'm mostly in the Desktop, and other than the missing Aero Glass, many nice feature where added.

Microsoft Games (Solitaire, Mahjong, Minesweeper, Pinball, ...) are all good. Good job in those little time killing games.

That 70%/30% split screen for multi-tasking 2 apps at the same time is also getting on my nerves, since I've got a big high res monitor... Another reason to avoid Metro apps... But, It's nice to have MetroTwit 30% and the Desktop on the 70%, about the only Metro apps that is nice to use...

Moving from Office 2010 to Office 2013, it's the same office, but with a GUI that got toned down much, squared edge everywhere and it's WHITE... The GUI feel sick...!!

Did not install Start8 (or any other apps like that), juste pinned my most used apps on the desktop and I'm good to go.

I installed Windows 8 on my Laptop, but I'm still not sure if I'm gonna install it on my desktop PC. Only time will tell....

The only metro app i have is the news one. I think its very good and the content is good as well. The rest are desktops apps, I am sure that will change over time though. Right now its a fancy start menu!

Here is a big deal between the start menu and the start screen: the jump list and the recent items list, when you work reading as many pdfs as I do... you just really use the jump list.

I really miss these aspects of the old start menu. Apps that I don't want pinned to the taskbar, but still use frequently.

Wish MS had included a desktop version of the reader app too. After all this time, I can open PDFs without installing Adobe Reader, but only in a Metro app. Sigh!

Otherwise, I don't see much else to complain about in the two months that I've been using the RP and RTM.

Windows 8 desktop experience is better than the windows 7 desktop experience. You still have the desktop, you still have the superbar and you still have windows. Then there are upgrades like the improved file browser, fast performance, charms and the multitasker.

I can do everything windows 7 can without visiting the start screen or using any metro. But then you have the extra's like the start screen the new lock screen/unlock options, the store, the notifications and proper touch screen support.

People don't like change, even if's better in every way.

• Like 1

If you pin your PDF viewer to the taskbar you can still access the jump list. Jump lists are the one useful feature that are missing from the Start Screen but they're not entirely lost and they're replaced by other useful features that aren't available on the Start Menu (like app grouping, live tiles, etc.)

I didn't even read the full article

If you start an article about Windows 8 with: I installed it and within 5 minutes I regret it.

You didn't give the OS any chance and should not make any assumptions about it

Not worth the read

If you pin your PDF viewer to the taskbar you can still access the jump list. Jump lists are the one useful feature that are missing from the Start Screen but they're not entirely lost and they're replaced by other useful features that aren't available on the Start Menu (like app grouping, live tiles, etc.)

Pinning acrobat reader on the superbar is not my great idea of having the last accessed programs showing me a nice jumplist, I do a lot of thinks and I really don't think that pinning apps to the superbar is the most neat idea.

Any particular reason why you don't think so?

Suppose I could do it, yeah, but then again, didn't I already had that before? (Well now I have it with start8 again) The main reason because I do it is the very same reason that makes me to tick the option "Hide desktop icons". It bothers me quite a lot that while I was very happy having my superbar and desktop clean, suddenly I'm forced to take a decision, either buy a third party app that allows me to have a tidy desktop or pinning all my apps into the superbar.

Not to mention, I use a lot of PDFs one day, then a lot of word and excell files another, then some diagrams... each thing uses a different program, the one that the start menu used to remember, hence showing it into the frequent list already with the jump list, no worries whatsoever.

Suppose I could do it, yeah, but then again, didn't I already had that before? (Well now I have it with start8 again) The main reason because I do it is the very same reason that makes me to tick the option "Hide desktop icons". It bothers me quite a lot that while I was very happy having my superbar and desktop clean, suddenly I'm forced to take a decision, either buy a third party app that allows me to have a tidy desktop or pinning all my apps into the superbar.

Not to mention, I use a lot of PDFs one day, then a lot of word and excell files another, then some diagrams... each thing uses a different program, the one that the start menu used to remember, hence showing it into the frequent list already with the jump list, no worries whatsoever.

How is this forcing you to throw everything on the desktop? If anything, the Start Screen makes it easier to clean up your desktop, by pinning the app to a separate screen that's hidden away.

The moment I learnt about Win+Q and where Shutdown is buried I started to love it, though it still feels like I'm using two different OS's at times, especially as far as settings are concerned.

How is this forcing you to throw everything on the desktop? If anything, the Start Screen makes it easier to clean up your desktop, by pinning the app to a separate screen that's hidden away.

No jump list. No dynamically changing most frequent programs.

Also, mentioned above, the shut down button... yeah, you can configure your pc to turn off when you press the turn on/off button, like I do, but once again, it was faster on the start menu because you already had the hand on the mouse.

• Like 2

I installed it on both my desktop and laptop. I'm loving it so far. I find the start screen works alot better than the start menu. I do not miss it at all.

My laptop even supports the charm bar and app switch touch pad gestures. I might actually buy a touch mouse for my desktop PC.

LOL . What a sad little man . Desktop works just fine for me . I love being able to pin open apps ,and preview open windows just by hovering .Sure ,touch would be nice , but my arms aren't that long !

fanboys I see. I'm one myself. but no never meant for a desktop without a touchscreen. similar to Vista. Vista ran great on laptops but had probs on Desktops. Windows 7 didn't. still prefer Vista over 7. But don't have much choice anymore... Windows 8. probably not. Surface. maybe. Never say never. just gotta wait a few years for more 17 inch laptops that flip around to be tablets.

The moment I learnt about Win+Q and where Shutdown is buried I started to love it, though it still feels like I'm using two different OS's at times, especially as far as settings are concerned.

I just hit the power button on my tower. That shuts down windows and turns off the power.

I'm happy i got my parents on windows 7 when I did. I don't think they would use their computer any more of there was any significant changes to how the desktop worked. This OS seems to be microsoft betting that desktops are going to die in the near future and tablets will be taking over.

I can't exactly see you getting a fair and reasoned response to a post like this on Neowin. I don't even bother voicing my opinion on the parts I dislike because the shills just tear you a new one every time you do.

fanboys I see. I'm one myself. but no never meant for a desktop without a touchscreen. similar to Vista. Vista ran great on laptops but had probs on Desktops. Windows 7 didn't. still prefer Vista over 7. But don't have much choice anymore... Windows 8. probably not. Surface. maybe. Never say never. just gotta wait a few years for more 17 inch laptops that flip around to be tablets.

I had no problems what so ever with Vista on a desktop . I just found the article to be a lot of whining . The term fanboy is rather infantile .