Windows 8 = Higher internet ping and slow speeds?

Royalty

Okay so after upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8, I found out my internet speed went down a bit and my ping up by a lot.

Windows 7 results:

Ping: ~10

Download: ~20

Upload ~2

Windows 8 results:

Ping: ~700

Download: ~7

Upload ~0.64

I just tried doing a speedtest on my other computer running Windows XP and it had the same result as my Windows 7.

Does anyone have the same problem, a solution or article relating to this? Thanks,

vcfan

no,i actually get better results on 8. maybe it has something to do with your lan drivers.

Andre S.

Did you update your LAN driver?

Royalty

Did you update your LAN driver?

I tried updating them and it said that they were updated to their latest version. Btw, I'm using the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller network driver.

Spartan Erik

Do you have any background apps that might be running and sucking up bandwidth? When I first used the release preview, I had to Google how to close Metro apps after I had opened them haha

cybertimber2008

Background apps should not affect ping.

Hum

Maybe Windows 8 is spying on you ... :shiftyninja: sending data to MS.

greenwizard88

Did your DNS server change? Were you running a different DNS like OpenDNS?

Royalty

Do you have any background apps that might be running and sucking up bandwidth? When I first used the release preview, I had to Google how to close Metro apps after I had opened them haha

I'm pretty sure not.

Maybe Windows 8 is spying on you ... :shiftyninja: sending data to MS.

Probably... anyway to change this setting?

Did your DNS server change? Were you running a different DNS like OpenDNS?

When I was running Windows 7, I never changed my DNS servers so I don't think my DNS servers are changed now.

Hmm, I still can't get this resolved. Any reason why?

Izlude

I noticed faster speeds using the default drivers from win8 instead of manufacturer drivers. I had a previous install using the manufacturer's drivers and it went pretty slow, not to mention "stopped working" errors here and there.

In my case, the drivers are meant for win7, the website hasn't updated them yet. Try using default in the meantime until your hardware vendor puts out another update :)

Andre S.
I tried updating them and it said that they were updated to their latest version.
Go to your motherboard's manufacturer website and see if they have new drivers for Windows 8 for your specific motherboard (specifically LAN ones). If their most recent driver is for Windows 7, well there's probably your problem.
chrisj1968

I'm going to the toshiba * driver for my wifi. I'm getting 10 on win8

HawkMan

do a tracert to see where exactly you get the higher ping, if it's from yoru computer to the router or somewhere else.

Neowon

ON contrary I'm on the opposite end to you. I get great ping but bad link quality. Perhaps its something to do with my wifi driver or perhaps its windows 8. Keep getting d/c from games so annoying.

+Eternal Tempest

I've had issues with my wife's laptop built in wifi, and suspect drivers.

Run much better on usb wireless n adaptor.

f0rk_b0mb

I'd put my money on bad drivers. Wait for Windows 8 to be out for a while and it'll probably solve your problems.

Royalty

Okay so here's the problem I found out.

Chrome was the problem which I would never expect it to be. :p

So here's my speedtest result with Google Chrome on my Windows 8:

2273215179.png

And here's my speedtest result with Firefox on Windows 8.

2273216037.png

I don't know why my Ping is so high for my Google Chrome. I've uninstalled many extensions already and updated both browsers to its latest version.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or know how to resolve this? Thanks,

Hum

^ Google is the Evil -- you'll probably need to wait until they update Chrome for Windows 8 problems.

Royalty

^ Google is the Evil -- you'll probably need to wait until they update Chrome for Windows 8 problems.

Is there the same problem for you?

Royalty

Okay so here's the problem I found out.

Chrome was the problem which I would never expect it to be. :p

So here's my speedtest result with Google Chrome on my Windows 8:

2273215179.png

And here's my speedtest result with Firefox on Windows 8.

2273216037.png

I don't know why my Ping is so high for my Google Chrome. I've uninstalled many extensions already and updated both browsers to its latest version.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or know how to resolve this? Thanks,

BUMP...

Would love to know more about this.

blade1269

Off topic

How are the copy ( transfer speeds) with windows 8?

On topic

Try getting them from the LAN makers site..

Royalty

Okay sorry about this but I got this fixed a couple days ago. What I did was I had AVG Antivirus and I turned that thing off which made Chrome to its normal speed again. Now I'm using Bitdefender with no problems at all.

Noir Angel

I only get a 46ms ping on Chrome (over wifi) so I have my doubts that Chrome would be causing the issue, it must be something specific to Windows 8 because I'm currently on 7