Windows 8 = Higher internet ping and slow speeds?

Wow, seems to me like some of the issues people are experiencing with Win8 are the same issues I was having. Strange. Thought it was just me doing something wrong. Hmm. It has to be something they are doing wrong. Oh wait, no, it was just something I was doing wrong. Sorry OP, I must have tampered with your system.

I wouldn't set much stall on what speedtest says anyway, unless the tests were performed at the same time it's possible you could have just had a server issue. Ping a server in both OSes and see what the response time is, that is more telling than using a browser based benchmark. There is no reason for a browser to increase ping time that substantially.

Did your DNS server change? Were you running a different DNS like OpenDNS?

DNS server settings would have zero impact on ping and transfer speeds.

Ever wonder why Internet in Windows 8 seems slower as 28.8kbps dial up modem?

By default, Windows 8 will minimize to 1 active connection per server! MS might have reduced

it to prevent Windows 8 tablet with 3G/4G data plan to exceed the free quota limit.

Speed improvement is noticeable on cable modem, not sure for fibre network.

Here, how to restore your network (Disclaimer: I'll not be responsible if any viruses or bots floodgate on your connections, you should have a good Antivirus running):

1) run "gpedit.msc" from Run dialog

2) Navigate to Administrative Template > Network > Windows Connection Manager

3) Click "Disabled" radio button in the Minimize the number of simultaneous connections to the Internet or a Windows Domain option.

4) Reboot your windows and tada!

5) Share with anyone else.

Just found it by chance since I couldn't find such info in the web, it was hacky in XP but breeze in Windows 8.