Husband successfully sues "beautiful" wife for being ugly

Divorces can get pretty ugly, especially when the reason is your looks, as happened to one Chinese woman, who had plastic surgery before her wedding, and was sued by her husband.

Jian Feng divorced and sued his "beautiful" wife for around ?75,000 and won, because she had deceived him into believing her good looks were all natural, when they had been fashioned from a surgeon's scalpel.

Feng told a court in China he had been deeply in love with his beautiful wife until they had a baby girl. Gazing into his baby daughter's eyes, Feng was repulsed. He described his child as horrifically ugly, with no resemblance to him or his wife. Feng immediately suspected his wife of having an affair, incredulous at the possibility that he could have spawned such an offspring. His wife was forced to confess that before her marriage, she had spent ?60,000 on plastic surgery in South Korea, and looked completely different to how she was born.

The judge agreed that Feng's wife had indeed deceived him into marriage under false pretences, and awarded him compensation.

Source (with a before-and-after picture)

It's a bizarre case but clearly she mislead him by not disclosing the surgery. This is more significant in China because couples are only allowed to have a single child and by concealing her genetic appearance she tricked him into having a child he did not want. A marriage should be based upon honesty and this could have all been prevented. However, the real victim here is not the father but the child.

Because it's all about looks, right?

/s

I hate people.

Actually, it's about genetics and deceit. He wasn't concerned about her appearance but for the appearance of their child.

Actually, it's about genetics and deceit. He wasn't concerned about her appearance but for the appearance of their child.

...it's still apparently all about looks. I don't see your point.

Because it's all about looks, right?

Yes. It is. As it always has been. And anyone who argues otherwise is quite clearly misleading themselves into believing in a world where such things don't factor into it. It's a natural thing to let physical attraction play a major part in the selection of a mate, and following that through into the looks that your child will have.

LOL so i guess they're not allowed to diet and lose weight either...

Is being overweight genetic? No.

...it's still apparently all about looks. I don't see your point.

No, it's much more than that - it's about wanting what is best for your offspring. He found someone he considered attractive but who was genetically unattractive (in his opinion). His concern was not about himself but about his child, which he would not have chosen to have given prior knowledge of her surgery and her true appearance. That's because the child represents his genetic lineage. To me it would be no different to concealing a genetic disorder or the fact that you're related to the person in question - her aim was to trick him into having a child with her which he would not otherwise have had.

Yes. It is. As it always has been. And anyone who argues otherwise is quite clearly misleading themselves into believing in a world where such things don't factor into it. It's a natural thing to let physical attraction play a major part in the selection of a mate, and following that through into the looks that your child will have.

They don't matter to me. But, this is why I don't get on with most people--they're shallow, primitive animals.

They don't matter to me. But, this is why I don't get on with most people--they're shallow, primitive animals.

A good great personality is a requirement for me. However if someone makes me want to vomit when I look at them, there will be a bit of a problem.

Wanting someone for with good looks is no less primitive or shallow than having sex for fun.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, stepping out of this one because we're simply not going to agree. :)