Valve: Linux More Viable Than Windows 8 for Gaming

I think Gabe just needs to put Steam on the App store but not as a Metro app, just a link to the Steam website so people can download Steam.

I don't think Valve can do that.

How can they let a developer know the cut before it's negotiated? Durr. :rolleyes:

Well you could have a fair rate that's the same for everyone, say 30% that when they hit certain sales targets gets reduced for all sales... that way both the big sellers and the small sellers get treated evenly and if a small seller unexpectedly does good, they get the same better deal as the ones that are expected to do good.

hmm sounds kind of familiar...

I don't think Valve can do that.

They can.

are you sure? download a store app from within store app, I doubt MS will allow competition considering their games for windows store was a rather big failure.

are you sure? download a store app from within store app, I doubt MS will allow competition considering their games for windows store was a rather big failure.

any desktop app that passes a few basic security checks and proper routines for filehandling and guidelines for how windows apps operate can be in the desktop section of the app store. it just links to a download anyway.

You know storing data files in the right place, storing save games in the right place and not all over, not requiring UAC elevation.

Well you could have a fair rate that's the same for everyone, say 30% that when they hit certain sales targets gets reduced for all sales... that way both the big sellers and the small sellers get treated evenly and if a small seller unexpectedly does good, they get the same better deal as the ones that are expected to do good.

A fair rate that's the same for everyone? Nice oxymoron.

Are you really trying to say a hard-up indie dev should pay the same rate for his tiny little game, as a large corporation swimming in money, that does nothing but vomit up yearly, uninspired "Triple-A" titles?

I guess you're also in favour of a flat tax rate too right?

Windows 8 more viable than Steam for gaming.

What happens if in five years you wanna move to OS X or Linux or whatever the next thing is, you have to rebuy. with Steam there's a sense of they'll be there for you

Even if this is possible will this link show in the ranking of the most popular apps since this is just a link and not an app ?

A link not ranked is close to worthless. People can find this "link" from Google after all.

Are you really trying to say a hard-up indie dev should pay the same rate for his tiny little game, as a large corporation swimming in money, that does nothing but vomit up yearly, uninspired "Triple-A" titles?

They should. That's why it's called a percentage.

Now go back to playing your stupid little hipster indie games that no one else gives a crap about.

What happens if in five years you wanna move to OS X or Linux or whatever the next thing is, you have to rebuy. with Steam there's a sense of they'll be there for you

I sure do hope that if i buy a "xbox' game for windows 8 that i wont have to re-buy this game for the 360 is it is avalaible for this platform. If i need to buy it 2 times then it's an epic fail imo.

In a presentation at Ubuntu Developer Summit currently going on in Denmark, Drew Bliss from Valve said that Linux is more viable than Windows 8 for gaming. Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is not an open platform anymore.

Some other points from the talk:

• Steam client is running nicely on Ubuntu and many developers have approached them with good game products.
  • Cooperation with Canonical has been good.
  • Ubuntu is preferred platform as it has a large user base and good community support with a strong company like Canonical behind it.
  • Linux has everything they need: good OpenGL, pulseaudio, OpenAL and input support.
  • New Source engine games will be available for Linux.
  • No firm time frame for Steam Linux release, but soon.
  • Copy protection is up to the game publishers.

Drew announced that anyone with a Launchpad account attending UDS will be given Steam access through a beta key.

http://www.ubuntuvib...-windows-8.html

k so then how about that lame ass company go Linux only. Guaranteed the board votes no confidence before the deal is even finalized.

I sure do hope that if i buy a "xbox' game for windows 8 that i wont have to re-buy this game for the 360 is it is avalaible for this platform. If i need to buy it 2 times then it's an epic fail imo.

Someday, for arcade games, on a case by case basis. Probably never for retail games.

A fair rate that's the same for everyone? Nice oxymoron.

I guess you're also in favour of a flat tax rate too right?

Actually it's not an oxymoron, what you fail to understand is that the people you are trying to defend are the ones who would benefit.

You do realize that the way it is today with special deals. the small indie devs probably needs to give away around 30%, meanwhile the big devs and publishers who are guaranteed huge sales, and have expensive very well qualified sales reps. they get away with 20-10%.

you probably though the small devs got the better deals, sorry that's not how it works, small games who are expected to sell little get higher rates, while the big games that are guaranteed to sell a lot they get low rates because 10% of 1 million is a heck of a lot more than 30% of 50 000.

Hence why a flate rate like Microsoft does where everyone pays 30% untill they reach a certain treshold then the rate on ALL their sales(the previous ones as well) get reduced to 20%

So yes, that is a lot more fair than special deals for the big ones. But hey, I guess you're in support for no taxes for the rich as well ? (yeah I can do that to:rolleyes:)

We've covered this a few times before, and the valve fanboys keep ignoring it.

But how is Valve releasing steam on linux going to make all your steam games work on linux ? valve can support linux all they want with steam, it's still not going to make all the other devs and publishers throw money down the toilet making their games run on linux to sell at best on a good day 100k copies (for big AAA, anything else won't stand a chance at those numbers) that'llnever pay for the cost of porting.

Yeh you have to rebuy XD And rebuy again if you buy a game on Windows Phone :p

I'm a Linux user, but have to keep Windows around for app development and gaming. I'll probably never be rid of Microsoft, but it's whatever. Valve is just blowing smoke. They may get a few games on the platform, but it's not going to take off unless Linux becomes more centralized, unfortunately around the Ubuntu distro.

We've covered this a few times before, and the valve fanboys keep ignoring it.

But how is Valve releasing steam on linux going to make all your steam games work on linux ? valve can support linux all they want with steam, it's still not going to make all the other devs and publishers throw money down the toilet making their games run on linux to sell at best on a good day 100k copies (for big AAA, anything else won't stand a chance at those numbers) that'llnever pay for the cost of porting.

I assume they have this figured out in one form another. I have a hard time believing they're that short sighted. My guess is they'll either release hardware and try and get developers to port that way, or they're working on some form of virtual machine.

Right, and where are the developers claiming that the Windows Store cut is not fair? We only have a competitor i.e. Steam crying foul here. If they port Steam and games to Linux, more power to them but there is no point in trash talking Windows 8 with all this open FUD. If steam really cared about Linux like openness, they wouldn't put DRM on their games. I love how Linux fanboys who hate Microsoft for Windows DRM are openly emracing Valve and Steam now.

You do realise that actually Steam's DRM is completely transparent and only relies on checking that your steam account owns the game you're trying to launch, right? What do you propose as an alternative, simply remove all of the DRM and allow people to download and play games that they didn't pay for? Compared to EA and Microsoft the DRM in steam is easy and convenient. And you don't get any install limits either. Embracing an open platform and tailoring your games to suit it isn't the same as saying that all software should be open source, go learn the distinction before trolling again.

I assume they have this figured out in one form another. I have a hard time believing they're that short sighted. My guess is they'll either release hardware and try and get developers to port that way, or they're working on some form of virtual machine.

In other words... WINE. Which would kinda defeat the point of them going "native".

There's just ZERO chance they're going to get developers to invest huge amounts of money into developing for Linux when the market is so small it barely even registers. Plus, as I've said before, Linux people are kinda used to getting stuff free. I can't see them flocking to a paid platform with only a couple of rather old games on it that they can ALREADY play anyway.

Is it really necessary to keep constantly trolling with those tired stereotypes? I'm not even a Linux user and I'm educated enough to know that the philosophy behind Linux is about freedom not being a freeloader.

• Like 3

Is it really necessary to keep constantly trolling with those tired stereotypes? I'm not even a Linux user and I'm educated enough to know that the philosophy behind Linux is about freedom not being a freeloader.

Oh, then there better not be any games released on Linux Steam that aren't 100% open source. That would deny Richard Stallman his "freedom."

Oh, then there better not be any games released on Linux Steam that aren't 100% open source. That would deny Richard Stallman his "freedom."

Still with the trolling. I was talking about Linux as an idea, not Valve's reasons for porting their games to it. Their reasons are that it's a more open platform than Windows, not that they agree with Stallman's software philosophy.

• Like 2

Yeh you have to rebuy XD And rebuy again if you buy a game on Windows Phone :p

Well Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 will surely use the same store right ? I do hope the next xbox will use the same for xbla games as well.

There's a finite number of times i'm willing to pay for Andry Birds :p

Well Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 will surely use the same store right ? I do hope the next xbox will use the same for xbla games as well.

There's a finite number of times i'm willing to pay for Andry Birds :p

No, the Windows 8 Store and the Windows Phone 8 store are not the same as the apps aren't compatible.

Windows 8 ships with its own app store and it is not an open platform anymore.

LOL, I'd have expected this from some hardcore linux fanboy.

Sometime i don't understand if those people are just plain stupid. where's the problem? you can still make games and publish them as you did for win 7 since desktop is still there. a metro version of intel appup is on the store, so why can't valve make a metro version of steam?