iPad 4 Jailbreak is Illegal in USA

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

that's completely different, this is like GM saying you can't modify the car after you bought it

It seems to me that legally, you are correct. However, it doesn't apply to the person who releases the jailbreak... they are the ones subject to the DMCA and will receive the MCA takedown notice.

What about previous contributors that contributed code to the iOS JB community back when JB was ok, and that code gets reused to JB iPad 4?

Doesn't matter if its legal or illegal, i will still continue doing it.

whoa-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg

It's funny how people think they are entitled to things these days. The first response here mentions "a simple series of mouse clicks is all that stands between you and incarceration". Well a simple pull of a trigger of a gun pointed at another human is all that stands between the same outcome. Doesn't matter how small the action is, its what the action is, that counts.

Hacking/cracking software or hardware against the intent of the design is illegal if they don't want you doing it. You buy the product with terms attached that you WONT do it (Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement.).

Stealing software is illegal. Stealing music is illegal. I'm gonna laugh at the response of all the 'entitled' when that blanket of privacy on the internet gets lifted and the hammer starts coming down.

"But everyone else does it!"

It's kind of a sad state of affairs these days. Get a job and buy stuff. Want customization on a phone? Buy an android.

Meh... whatever. Deaf ears.

It's funny how people think they are entitled to things these days. The first response here mentions "a simple series of mouse clicks is all that stands between you and incarceration". Well a simple pull of a trigger of a gun pointed at another human is all that stands between the same outcome. Doesn't matter how small the action is, its what the action is, that counts.

Hacking/cracking software or hardware against the intent of the design is illegal if they don't want you doing it. You buy the product with terms attached that you WONT do it (Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement.).

Stealing software is illegal. Stealing music is illegal. I'm gonna laugh at the response of all the 'entitled' when that blanket of privacy on the internet gets lifted and the hammer starts coming down.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs these days. Get a job and buy stuff. Want customization on a phone? Buy an android.

People get a job and pay for their hardware. If they want to run a call-recording app, or be able to swipe up the phone to launch settings, or re-install google maps app - they should be allowed to do that in my books.

People really confuse 'jailbreaking' a device with stealing software. If you 'jailbreak' you cannot just go click and download every game for free from the app store. You need to install more patches and find cracked copies of every app & app update - just like you would on a computer. Im not saying thats incredibly hard or confusing, but you need to do it. Apple can easily shut down piracy and prevent pirated/cracked copies from running, but choose not to.

What I just don't get is why people even bother JB'ing, IT VOIDS YOUR WARRENTY.

• 3 weeks later...

So since I bought my car I should be able to run red lights and stop signs and occasionally run people over. Who cares about laws, I paid for the car so I can do what I want with it.

That is just ridiculous............here is THAT specific analogy as it should be: "should be able to run red lights and occasionally run people over" "bought my iPad so I should be able to throw it around in a crowded room and occasionally hit people over the head with it".................."so since I just bought my car, I should be able to change out the engine, mess with the software settings cause I'm finetuning it, paint it, customize it.".......yes, you should, and are able to do ALL that because you own it........same with ANY tablet.......you bought it, you own it..........I can do all those things with a pc and a laptop, so why can't I do that with my tablet

Didn't DMCA announce we are allowed to jailbreak our iPhones, just not our iPads?

I have never seen a bricked iPhone, and all you have to do is restore before you take it to Apple.

• Like 2

Some people, like ME, dont care about warranties..........I've never used any Apple warranty ANYWAYS! And I've owned 15 iOS devices.! And warranties are only good for protecting hardware, not software. I'm a programmer, and I've never seen software ruin a pie e of hardware. And bricking doesnt "ruin" the hardware.......if you had access and could erase the problem that cause the brick in the first place, you'd still be able to use it. But Corps don't like to give out tools like that.

Nilay Patel over at The Verge explained that you are all overreacting, the ruling says that there is no need for a specific exception for tablets because they already are covered under the mobile device clause that allows jailbreaking/rooting

lol.

hIXGk.gif

• 3 weeks later...

No but you'd expect to be able to change things like the stereo without being sent to jail by Ford?

Yes I feel that if I lay down that kind of money on a device, I am entitled to modify it. Ive always jailbroken my iDevices, I did it to get themes and wallpapers before iOS 4. Now I do it for themes and the ability to change system sounds etc. Doesn't matter now as I've switched to Android. And what agreement is this? You don't sign anything when you buy an iPad or iPhone. You pay for it and leave.

lmao @ apple. what fools

Your a fool. Read the below that I quoted from the person above you.

People like you are the reasons the internet is full with people who dont know what they hell they are talking about.

There is so much missinformation going around, have a look at

Frankly, it's these companies Apple, and carriers (Tmobile, Sprint, etc..) that make people want to jail break their phones. It's your phone you pay for service and your phone can do things that your carrier wants to charge you for. You pay for internet, and your phone can tether, why should you have to pay extra to do so. That's not fair nor is it right. It's like tax on tax.

Your a fool. Read the below that I quoted from the person above you.

People like you are the reasons the internet is full with people who dont know what they hell they are talking about.

OMG can I please have your signature apple fanboy?

It's your device, do what you want with it.

you own the device, not the software.. if you owned the software, why don't you make an mp3 player and sell them with IOS running them all? they license it to you (free of charge) upon acceptance of certain conditions, ie: modifying, repackaging, branding etc. This isn't even unique to apple, they are just the favorite company for Generation Y to hate at the moment.

Basically the DMCA thing wants to protect the copy protection systems built into devices computers and or services that use them from bypass or modding of them.

Well, you do at your own risk but I had no problems with Apple claiming warranty replacement on an iPad 2 that had been jailbroken before. They even did a scan of it and it didn't come up. They were mostly interested in if I had ever replaced the glass on the screen, and were looking that over under a black light (kind of had me intrigued as to what they were looking for).

Anyway, so long as you restore to their firmware you should be ok and not have to fear an Apple "Genius" calling you out.

In some rare circumstance where you brick your device and are unable to restore the firmware the burden of proof is on them to show that you were messing with it or trying to hack it.

There may be a day when Apple may just flag your account for JBing activity. It is possible for apps such as the DirecTV app to detect that it is on a JB iPad and then refuse to work. It really wouldn't be difficult for Apple to implement similar functionality into App Store (refuse to work) and then flag your account for JB activity. I hope it never gets that extreme... but if we are back at "this is illegal to do on this hardware" then it might be enough for Apple to implement that kind of functionality into iOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys/gals..

WOW some have just taken this to la la land (steve martin "can we come back from la la land). Look up just whats "illegal" it will blow your mind. Each state alone has some woppers. Now me I bought the thing I could careless what someone says I can do with it. LIke some one said.. I all so use it to get themes and apps that only work on JB. And just what are you JB? The OS. We do the same kind of things to Windows, OS X and so on. Its not the JB that will ever get anyone in trouble. Its what a few do with it and 90% dont have a clue. But its like that with everything.

I went to best buy to return something and they wanted my Driver license. I asked why? They said some..just a tiny few were using Bestbuy as a rental place, returning every 28 days.

Anyway most have taken this WAY out of whack. Trust me here and I am NOT trying to hurt anyone ok? Ok.. the INTERNET does not have all the answers.. its not all truth.. sorry. :)

HEY! HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS! Be safe...