3. 3. Which device you like the most?

• Lumia 920
    • Windows Phone 8X
    • Lumia 820/822
    • Windows Phone 8S
    • ATIV S
    • They are all the same

Games.

For a phone that has the Xbox brand it is VERY light on games and the ones that are there cost a fortune. IOS usually gets the more varied style and type, Android usually gets IOS sloppy seconds with WP7/8 an afterthought.

920 is hands down the best phone I have ever owned.

And I have owned many. Including all iPhones, less 3G, all Nexus devices and a lot of other Androids

Games.

For a phone that has the Xbox brand it is VERY light on games and the ones that are there cost a fortune. IOS usually gets the more varied style and type, Android usually gets IOS sloppy seconds with WP7/8 an afterthought.

That's changing already with the simultaneous release of Angry Birds Star Wars on WP8 and other platforms. Besides, there are plenty of great games on WP that aren't available on other platforms.

With the API changes in WP8 games shouldn't be a issue anymore. I expect to see lots of games on phone and pc to work cross-platform going forward.

I'll be skipping WP8. I was an early adopter for WP7 with both a Dell Venue Pro and Nokia Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, but MS really botched it all this time around.

We get the SDK today, for starters, and there were no ground breaking features in there that should have led to the death of my Lumia 900 on WP 7.8. I seriously saw nothing compelling in their launch at all; it was depressing.

The hardware from Nokia is looking awesome, but I'm no longer happy with the platform. I feel MS wasted 2 years porting WP7 to NT to make it work on the newer base. They need to stop rebooting this platform if they want people to keep paying attention.

Just activated 920 today after someone stole my Iphone 4 from the gym. The hardware is solid, performance is ridiculously great. Unfortunately, the ecosystem isn't there. Might as well have my Galaxy S3 where I have to manually put music on and SD and create playlists on the phone. Arrgggh, how neandrethal. The Xbox Music ecosystem, just doesn't work and the Windows Phone Sync app is just basic file copy from what I see at the moment. Zune requires installation of older .net frameworks but that looks like the only solution that's going to provide any usability. My phone is my MP3 player and I need my music every day.

I picked up a Lumia 822 to replace my HTC Trophy on VZW. My only complaint is that the sync client SUCKS. The one you get from MS blows chunks big time. I'm amazed that they couldn't just update or re-brand the Zune client for Windows Phone 8. Yes you can sync with a lot of different tools, but none that I've found will transcode music or video to a different size during sync.

Like to store your music in a high bit rate format or maybe even as WMA Lossless? Sorry gotta transcode that yourself before you sync.

Got a Zune Pass and a bunch of subscription content already downloaded? Oh sorry, you'll have to download them all from your phone.

This is a hole that the Windows Phone team needs to plug post haste.

• Like 3

I don\t get why they didn't just update and rebrand the zune client either. The only bright side here is that by starting over they can make the newer app lighter since the zune client is a bit on the big side. As long as they update the two apps at a good pace then they should catch up to the zune client in time. We have to remember that we're comparing a v1.x app to a v4.7 app.

Well, broke down and installed Zune and the legacy .Net frameworks. Zune does not recognize my WP8 Lumia 920. Not sure why it's working for others. It did recognize my old WP7 Lumia.

Last resort, in Windows 8 Desktop Windows Media Player classic recognizes and syncs with it just fine. And Windows Media Player classic searches the music library better and is more usable than Windows 8 search and you can add results directly to a playlist with right click. The same goes for using File Explorer to search for documents and such over Windows 8 search.

Hate to say it, but as far as managing music in general and Windows Phone 8, you need to go back to the future. Seems as though if you upgrade from Windows 7 to 8, Windows Phone and Music management just falls apart, totally.

Microsoft should be glad sales are slow, otherwise this would be a shameful disaster of epic proportion and things are so bad in these areas, it still could end up that way.

The technical press has absolutely zero credibility with me at the moment for their Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, and Surface reviews have given Microsoft a complete pass of this unfinished and shoddy product ecosystem and its parts. It's like an octopus with no head.

Hell hath frozen over with the only responsible Journalist, is Paul Thurrott:

Exceptional piece: http://www.windowsit...indows-8-144853

Another good one: http://winsupersite....-early-adopters

And Another: http://winsupersite....media-ecosystem

Given my experiences once actually going full on Windows 8, Surface, and now Windows Phone I have to rate it all beta, unfinished, and with the exception of Server Products, no general consumer users should upgrade without MAJOR, and I mean MAJOR updates to the whole damn Windows 8 Ecosystem. And fix all the Metro apps on the desktop that lose hyperlinks, and spontaneously quit.

Unacceptable, shameful. More than Sinofsky needs to be let go. And to the press, Neowin included, stop treating this disaster with kid gloves or Microsoft will take their sweet time fixing this mess. It's time for real criticism to wake their a$$es up. This is worse than WindowsMe and Vista. Both those actually worked as they should.

sucks you guys are having problems =\ I'm loving my win8 desktop, tablet and wp8 ecosystem with HTC 8x.

Tell me about the WP8 ecosystem ... what are you syncing music and playlists with?

I have an android phone and an iTouch 5.

There is really nothing about WP8 that interests me.

The Lumia phones do look nice and the hardware awesome (from what I've read) but not nice enough to pull me away

and from android's customization or ios's app selection and quality.

Maybe if they didn't kill off the Zune and maybe came out

with like a Zune hd 2 with wp8 os on it I'd be more inclined to try I out.

As of now I couldn't even recommend a wp8 phone to friends.

Unacceptable, shameful. More than Sinofsky needs to be let go. And to the press, Neowin included, stop treating this disaster with kid gloves or Microsoft will take their sweet time fixing this mess. It's time for real criticism to wake their a$$es up. This is worse than WindowsMe and Vista. Both those actually worked as they should.

In Microsoft's world, being late, not listening to consumers (yes, the nerds, the ones who dictate WHAT consumers should buy) means that you can do whatever you want, because... well... you're Microsoft.

Maybe some history classes to Mr. Ballmer could illuminate his mind (if it's even possible, I mean).

Fact is: the monopoly is fading. Anyway, if Microsoft fails, only shareholders will be affected (that's not unimportant, though) but employees will be fine with plenty of opportunities in other companies.

But I'm afraid that Bill Gates' plan on eliminating Malaria and other third world s*** (something that really does help us, regarding Darwin's ideas) will be threatened.

Just activated 920 today after someone stole my Iphone 4 from the gym. The hardware is solid, performance is ridiculously great. Unfortunately, the ecosystem isn't there. Might as well have my Galaxy S3 where I have to manually put music on and SD and create playlists on the phone. Arrgggh, how neandrethal. The Xbox Music ecosystem, just doesn't work and the Windows Phone Sync app is just basic file copy from what I see at the moment. Zune requires installation of older .net frameworks but that looks like the only solution that's going to provide any usability. My phone is my MP3 player and I need my music every day.

I was afraid the WP 8 ecosystem wasn't that good, after using Windows 8 on my laptop for a bit. Hopefully, in time....

If there's anyone I trust to fix issues quickly it's the Windows Phone team. Notice how the issues brought up here on coming from the Windows side and not actually the phone itself. Those who use the phone without a PC other than to just move some files over, nothing really advanced, have no issues.

And people wonder why Ballmer sacked Sinofsky? It's this weird state that he's to blame for. I bet it was his call to dump the zune client and have the windows team make "new" Windows 8 apps. Lets see what 2013 brings with the changes now. If anything, when it's all said and done I bet WP will end up even more tied to Windows so we don't have these problems anymore.

• Like 2

In Microsoft's world, being late, not listening to consumers (yes, the nerds, the ones who dictate WHAT consumers should buy) means that you can do whatever you want, because... well... you're Microsoft.

Maybe some history classes to Mr. Ballmer could illuminate his mind (if it's even possible, I mean).

Fact is: the monopoly is fading. Anyway, if Microsoft fails, only shareholders will be affected (that's not unimportant, though) but employees will be fine with plenty of opportunities in other companies.

But I'm afraid that Bill Gates' plan on eliminating Malaria and other third world s*** (something that really does help us, regarding Darwin's ideas) will be threatened.

Why should nerds dictate what people should buy? We are not the target audience.

We're much more important than you think. Very... very important. ;)

I would agree with that. Though the Malaria comment was out of bounds. You know how many people ask me to go to buy a PC with them. I refuse, unless it's a gorgeous woman :)

Consumers want a computer to do stuff, they don't want, nor need to understand the industry and the inner workings. They need "nerds" to tell them right now.

Right now my recommendation is stick with what you have till spring in hopes MS will clean up this mess and more apps will be available. If it's not fixed by end of winter, hey, go with your iTunes/IPad/iPhone/Android. Go with what works and is easy to use and improves your life experience. No one owns mega corporations anything. Especially if they can't deliver while skateboarding through the workplace.

I would agree with that. Though the Malaria comment was out of bounds. You know how many people ask me to go to buy a PC with them. I refuse, unless it's a gorgeous woman :)

Consumers want a computer to do stuff, they don't want, nor need to understand the industry and the inner workings. They need "nerds" to tell them right now.

Right now my recommendation is stick with what you have till spring in hopes MS will clean up this mess and more apps will be available. If it's not fixed by end of winter, hey, go with your iTunes/IPad/iPhone/Android. Go with what works and is easy to use and improves your life experience. No one owns mega corporations anything. Especially if they can't deliver while skateboarding through the workplace.

Don't mind about the Malaria comment. But trying to be a superhero (the movie-type hero) is indeed possible to played by a multibillion rich guy like Bill. But that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do, you know. I have an opinion that if you want to help humanity you have to start changing people's minds first, give education and then help out the ones who deserve help because of a potential to improve and help other people the same way they were helped.

People should not only be helped because they're human. Being human doesn't make you good... only your actions do. There are plenty of human rights' abuse in societies that Bill is trying to help making them live more. It is being actually pretty much an interference with overall bad results.

Did you know that hell is full of people with good intentions?

:)

Did you know that hell is full of people with good intentions?

:)

Yes, but mostly it's full of people with bad intentions. When you can't change the world, sometimes easing the pain and quality of life for as many as possible for as long as possible is good enough.

I have nothing but respect for what Bill and his wife are doing. I also respect that they are doing it openly.

Back on topic, the Lumia 920 is a hardware beast. Great Bluetooth sound and wired sound. Superfast screen and responsiveness. Shame Windows 8 software has let it down with regards to syncing with you personal media libraries. Windows Media Player does great with it though including video playlists though.

We're much more important than you think. Very... very important. ;)

Jesus, if it was up to Neowin members, computing would still be in the "Dark Ages". Nothing would ever advance, because no one would change anything. Ever.

It's a good thing companies don't look to us. If the common user can't use it, it won't sell. Computers and technology shouldn't be limited like that. Take that sense of entitlement and stow it.

Jesus, if it was up to Neowin members, computing would still be in the "Dark Ages". It's a good thing companies don't look to us. If the common user can't use it, it won't sell. Computers and technology shouldn't be limited like that. Take that sense of entitlement and stow it.

Ok then. So let me put it this way: there are a lot of incompetent people there not to see so many failures. You're right. They should not listen to us: they should have a better intelligence and less internal politics.

I'm done.

Jesus, if it was up to Neowin members, computing would still be in the "Dark Ages". Nothing would ever advance, because no one would change anything. Ever.

It's a good thing companies don't look to us. If the common user can't use it, it won't sell. Computers and technology shouldn't be limited like that. Take that sense of entitlement and stow it.

You quoted me but I'm not exactly sure what your argument is? That people who know better shouldn't accept or recommend unfinished products that don't work to a degree of being more frustrating that usable? When alternatives are available?

Or that some people don't like the direction Microsoft is going in? They are two different things.

I personally like Windows 8/RT but think it's criminal the state the whole Windows 8 ecosystem has been released in. And most general "Best Buy" type consumers don't know any better. I absolutely do not recommend general consumers upgrade. They will get Windows 8 with a new PC and I'm not sure I would go so far as to recommend a downgrade. But upgrade for what? A headache, let Microsoft actually fix the thing and all the core apps and services.

The State Windows 8 is in "right" now, I have no problem saying @$^$ Microsoft, because everyetime I can't click a link in a metro app and launch a browser, a metro app quits, or I try to do anything with Xbox music, or try to sync my Windows 8 Phone (Lumia 920) I feel like Microsoft said @#%$ me. Well no, @##% you (Microsoft)!

At work so not much time to post.

I've had the phone about two weeks now. Fixed most of the issues I had with it.

Everyone who has seen or played with my phone, even strangers, look at it and say "Wow, that screen is amazing." And look at their iPhones or Galaxy and frown. Lol.

HD videos, pictures, and just browsing around on the phone, I am still amazed how beautiful it looks. The marketplace may be a bit thin, but I think the sheer speed and look of the phone make up for it. It truly is an amazing phone, aesthetically.

• Like 2

Why should nerds dictate what people should buy? We are not the target audience.

As opposed to the dorks that work in the stores that clearly steer people towards their preference (and spiff)? Then again, dorks apparently are the target audience for these childish devices anyway.