Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII announced for 2015

Let's take a look at The Walt Disney company's $4B acquisition of Marvel Entertainment in August 2009. After the acquisition, Marvel Studios (subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment) released Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), and The Avengers (2012). All of the movies were quite successful and the last one is the third highest-grossing movie of all time.

So, my question to you is: What's so funny?

on the flip side

Cars 2...

They acquired Pixar Animation Studios in 2006. Since that acquisition, Pixar has released seven computer-animated films and all of them have done well at the box office.

If we can get Avengers and Pirates Quality out of it, but maybe a little higher age rating, then yeah, awesome, the problem is that with disney you never know what you're gonna get untill you have it.

BUT whatever happens, more star Wars is always great. question is if 7 will be based off of his old notes and ideas, EU, or something else.

I may be a ****** for thinking so, but I so hope they don't go with EU and ditch the whole EU thing just to kick it in the nuts of all the EU fans and show them where the real star Wars is. And I'm saying that as a person that loves EU, well most of it anyway. And as cool as the Thrawn trilogy would be as a movie, I don't think it belongs in the Star Wars storyline. besides the chiss are ugly :p

Copy pasting my opinion on this:

I'm okay with this (just in case anyone at Disney is worried about what I think, there you have it, go on), as long as they pass it over to someone capable and talented. The best Star Wars movie wasn't directed by Lucas anyway. Let's just hope they'll cater to the movie instead of the marketing department.

A conference call with shareholders just ended, in which a few more details of the deal were revealed:

Star Wars: Episode 7 will be the beginning of a new trilogy that has been mapped out.

The treatment for Episode 7 is already completed, on which Lucas consulted.

Episodes 8 and 9 will be released approximately every other year following 2015, so expect the sequels in 2017 and 2019.

20th Century Fox will not be involved with these future releases.

Disney ?really likes? the potential of expanding Star Wars into television on their Disney XD channel, so expect more than a few new animated series.

The studio?s concentration is on the Star Wars franchise, so as of now there are no plans to toy with Indiana Jones. The reason being that those films are tied up in some legal shambles with Paramount, who distributed the films.

Indiana Jones was not part of the valuation of Lucasfilm when Disney was eyeing the acquisition.

Disney plans to leave Lucasfilm?s visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) ?as it is.?

Great news..I'd love to see where they left off however Han Solo is way too old now, same with Luke I mean I don't think you can bring back the same people without issues - will have to certainly jump well into the future with new things happening and new issues.

No need to "fire George". He's clearly handing over the keys to everything. People who know George personally know he would NEVER NEVER NEVER do this unless he was retiring permanently due to age or illness. There is something else going on behind this decision that we don't know yet.

If there are any true journalists left in the US, it's time to do your job and investigate!

naw, I think he nickeled and dimed all there was out of the umteen re-release so he is simply going somewhere to do something new... probably a new dev house or production crew for 'small time/indy' stuff.

George Lucas seems to have a lot of faith in Kathleen Kennedy. Do you think he's going to step up from his role as creative consultant (for the next Star Wars film)?

No. If George is involved in any significant capacity with a project, the top people in Hollywood will refuse to work on said project.

Or didn't you notice that few if any crew members from the first trilogy worked on the second trilogy? From actors to producers to production crew, anyone who has worked with Lucas won't ever again. And they've told their friends...

Lucas is actually going to be involved in the story of the films. Actually already has story treatments for them it seems.

The story treatment you refer to has existed since the beginning of Star Wars. The middle (first films) trilogy was based on WW2. The early trilogy (the prequels) was based on WW1.

The story treatment you refer to has existed since the beginning of Star Wars. The middle (first films) trilogy was based on WW2. The early trilogy (the prequels) was based on WW1.

so we need people to start WWW3 before mid 2014 to ensure new series will come out in 2015?

Also, if the movies follow Han, Luke and Leia, I hope they will not use some up and coming teeny-boppers to fit in and 'reboot' at the same time, or simply use digital images to update the older actors onto newer ones.

bleck... why couldn't they just do a new idea set in the star wars galaxy... sigh.

At first I thought "this is really gonna suck" but after reading on this a bit I think it may work out fine. It's clear that Lucas is done and it's also clear that us fans want some new stuff.

so we need people to start WWW3 before mid 2014 to ensure new series will come out in 2015?

Which is why the story treatments for 7-9 were even sketchier than 1-3. Most of the 1-3 plot points were actually all crammed into the last hour of SITH. 8P

The truth is that Disney will start from scratch, so they can own all new licensed characters, toys, etc. Like Abrams did with Trek, the studio is paying for 100% control/profit of this franchise.

this can't end well.

It's been over for a long time. The REAL Star Wars (as iconified by Lawrence Kasdan, Joseph Campbell, and Irvin Kershner) ended at the middle of JEDI. Lucas got complete creative control over everything at that point and he hasn't made a great minute of film since.

• Like 1

I am quite excited about what they can come up with now

Me too, exactly. I never thought I would be, but it's new Star Wars movies, something I was sure that I would never see again.

480959_287483204703396_290795453_n.jpg

You forgot the caption:

George Lucas on set for the filming of Star Wars: Episode VII. He denied reports that the film was being targeted at children.

That awkward moment when your the only one that thought 1-3 were good films XD

I thought they fit within the SW universe. There were parts and characters I did not like but overall all 6 movies go together.

If this is true, I do hope they make 3 more films as I thought this was originally a 9 part story.