Despicable Me 2 Trailer Released

• 2 weeks later...
I never understand why they block trailers, isn't it free advertising?

Sigh... Not directly at you per-se, but I wish people actually understood copyright law a little better.

Right, ANYTHING a studio produce is copyright to them. This includes the movie, the soundtrack, the posters, the trailers.

To distribute this, they choose specific methods, for example their own website, their own YouTube channel, whatever. The material is allowed to be disseminated via these means.

Any other means is distribution through an unauthorized medium. <- That, right there, is what piracy is. Plain and simple. Forget what the content, audience, intention is - Piracy is distribution through unauthorized means.

Now, to you, me and hey maybe Universal Studios - it's trivial in the case of a trailer. Agreed, it's an advert and designed to reach as many of a target audience as possible. But to lawyers, it's no more or less trivial than distributing the film. Why?

Because they don't care about content, they care about the law and legal precedent. There is a legal obligation to protect copyright content. This means the studio is legally obliged to stop unauthorized distribution. If they don't - or at least aren't seen to be doing so - it would set a legal precedent that unauthorized distribution has been allowed.

Does that make sense? It's not about the studio, the content or whatever. It's simply how copyright law works.