The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659337/

I don't even know where to BEGIN reviewing this movie... I'll start with the summary on its IMDB page:

"Based on the novel written by Stephen Chbosky, this is about 15-year-old Charlie (Logan Lerman), an endearing and naive outsider, coping with first love (Emma Watson), the suicide of his best friend, and his own mental illness while struggling to find a group of people with whom he belongs. The introvert freshman is taken under the wings of two seniors, Sam (Watson) and Patrick (Ezra Miller), who welcome him to the real world."

If you have suffered any abuse in your life.... like, the SERIOUS kind.... This movie may be hard for you to watch. Just a caveat. Personally, I was bullied mercilessly in grade school, and in many ways I identified with the main character's struggle. Some people say this movie is very unrealistic and stereotypical in its portrayal of the main characters as teens in the early 90s. I was 10 in the year this movie takes place, so I can't completely identify with the... "culture" of the year... But I definitely felt a strong connection to Charlie's character. Suffering bouts of depression ever since I was a young teenager, this movie was like reliving my teen years all over again. And in a time when I'm currently suffering a new bout of depression.... This movie squeezed the ever loving **** out of my heart... It was very emotional for me... But not really in a bad way... Just being able to identify with the main character and actually "care" about him was very rewarding for me.

Part of me is still struggling to take the main character's advice on living my life, as it's very true, but the movie did make me think more about my perspective on life (and how distorted it is). I shed many a tear over this movie, and have seen it several times now. If you like movies that challenge your sense of self and are highly emotional, you might just love this movie as I have.

Oops I forgot my "rating" of the movie.... On a scale of 1-10..... I'd rate it somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 :-p

Edited by Reverend Spam