I am Tired of Email Spam!

Hey guys,

I get tons of Spam emails every few min in my Live Mail (I use Outlook Office 2013). They are sent to JUNK but still i find it annoying to get spam emails. Currently i have these settings as shown in the pic below. Regardless of these settings i still get tons of Spam every few min. The emails are Not from my contacts. I tried to block the senders emails and addresses, but every email comes from some unique and new domain. So please give me some tips to end this junk once and for all.

974pk8.jpg

Nothing can prevent the spam from actually coming in. You can create policies/filters that automatically delete all emails that don't come from people in your address book but that means you have to pre-whitelist addresses just to get email.'

Your only real option is to change your email address and either use a service that provides alias's for specific purposes(outlook.com is a good one) or create separate accounts to provide the segregation

Here is an example:

XXXXXX@XXX.com <- Personal email address, never used to register any services/sites ensures a clean inbox.

XXXXXX.BXXX@XXX.com <- This is tied to my banking accounts only

XXXXXX.PXXX@XXX.com <- Used for buying anything

XXXXXX.JXXX@XXX.com <- A dump email address

XXXXXX.NXXX@XXX.com <- newsgroups

I don't think it is avoidable, I've made new email accounts and gotten spam before I even used them the first time. The spammers use massive dictionary attacks now and just send mails out to every possible address. An email service with a good filter is about all you can do really. Of course it's still important to keep your address secure and not give it out to ever site that asks for it.

Your only real option is to change your email address and either use a service that provides alias's for specific purposes(outlook.com is a good one) or create separate accounts to provide the segregation.
K. Murchison, "Sieve Email Filtering: Subaddress Extension", IETF, RFC 5233, January 2008. [Online]. Available: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5233

Althow its very hard to avoid spams, but this is just a tip to hide your real email address.

Create another email address & create a forwading rule in your primary email address to secondry, use your primary email address for anything & use your secondry email address for friend/family/work.

in the secondry emaill you can create a rule for your primary email address messages or create a folder.

in that case you can manage those unknown messages more efficiently.

Get a GMail, then forward all your mail from your various other accounts there.

I have around ten email accounts for variuos personal and business accounts all with different providers some through business domains. I let Gmail handle them all and almost never get any spam through to the inbox from any of these accounts. I also get very little ham either.

This way you can still use all your normal accounts (you can even reply from Gmail as one of the other addresses) and see almost zero spam.

Yeh there is notthing you can do but live with it if they are going in the spam box then be happy with that. I just cleare dout 500mails in my inbox and unsubscribed to a few things. There is nothnig you can do about 99% of the junk though because once its used by one company its sold to another.

Personally I went with two mail accounts. One is my real mail, only a few friends and family get that one, and is never used on the web. The other is a GMail (pick whatever freebie you prefer) account which is purely used for forum registrations and whatnot. Keeps my real mail account about 99% spam free. The other I check when I'm expecting something, but otherwise I just clear it out every so often when it gets full and move on.

According to my Spam filtering service for my main mailbox.

Inbound Message Volume for Last 12 Weeks

For this time period, 5,834 (or 60.6%) out of 9,623 total inbound messages were problem emails.

I think it would be much higher but I get a lot of automated notifications from various pieces of equipment which will count towards the legitmate messages.

Also some of those will be forwarded from my Gmail which will have already spam filtered it there.

The fact remains that 90% of all email traffic is spam due to the 'freebee' world of SMTP servers. Anyone can run their own SMTP server and send millions of bogus emails; if they get blocked, all they have to do is change their IP and domain. The only way to fix this paradigm is to change the way email itself is structured.

1) Require anyone with an SMTP server to purchase a certificate that gets tied to the mail-server hardware and register with a GLOBAL database of valid domains. If your not in this database, or you abuse the system, your certificate is revoked and the HARDWARE itself barred from future certificates. With no valid certificate/registration, other (I will call them EMAIL-2 servers) will not receive email from your domain.

2) Eliminate the 'freemium' business model of email. Spam would be nearly wiped out if email was no longer free. For instance, you would have to purchase your email address from one of many providers as well as register your client devices/install client certificates in the mail program/client browser to assist with outbound validation. This would help prevent email hijacking as well as create some accountability since email would now be traceable to not only an IP, but to a registered device/certificate. The actual infringing client device could get blacklisted in this model.

3) Create different email "classes" such as "Personal" and "Business" and structure some rules regarding them. For instance, a business email address can not 'solicit' more then a certain amount of email to a personal address unless the personal address explicitly authorizes extended solicitation by replying to the address as a form of 'validation'.

I realize this changes the anonymity of email but you really cant fix it unless we change it.

In all seriousness, I would be gun ho on creating a system like this.....

Betax I agree with you. I have thought about that over the last few years and it makes sense. Still I like many others like the free model but it does have it's caveats. Now in what you suggest, we would have to buy our email account?

Also do we pay a monthly fee or not?

I think the cost would depend on the cost to actually create the new system. I think it should be a one time cost.

Some people spend money on complex spam filtering services such as solutions by Symantec. Personally I think paying for a secure email address with a near-zero chance of spam or being hijacked would be well worth it.

If I can get a team together, I'd love to "Kickstart" this.

set up your own exchange server, register your own domain, and then set up a vm using postfix + DCC + Pyzor + Razor + Mailscanner + ClamAV + Spamassassin. I get maybe 1-2 spam messages a day now with that setup, the rest gets auto deleted. I first set it to append [sPAM] to the front, but since my setup has nearly 100% success in tagging spam (has not misstaged a message in months), I just set it to auto delete it now. Any new spam that gets through, I learn it into spamassassin for better accuracy.

Nothing can prevent the spam from actually coming in. You can create policies/filters that automatically delete all emails that don't come from people in your address book but that means you have to pre-whitelist addresses just to get email.'

Your only real option is to change your email address and either use a service that provides alias's for specific purposes(outlook.com is a good one) or create separate accounts to provide the segregation

Here is an example:

XXXXXX@XXX.com <- Personal email address, never used to register any services/sites ensures a clean inbox.

XXXXXX.BXXX@XXX.com <- This is tied to my banking accounts only

XXXXXX.PXXX@XXX.com <- Used for buying anything

XXXXXX.JXXX@XXX.com <- A dump email address

XXXXXX.NXXX@XXX.com <- newsgroups

Exactly what I do. Never recieve any spam on my main.