USA Iphone 5 on Verizon to other carriers

ok I know that a verizon phone is unlocked and CAN be used over seas on a GSM network even though it is CDMA. So my question is if I buy a Verizon phone from Apple store ( only three choices Verizon, Sprint, ATT) will I be able to use that on Virgin mobile prepaid here in the USA.

This is kind of important to me since I am coming back to the states and it time to update my original droid. I am reading that and have compared that there is big savings in using a prepaid plan instead of on Verizon (where I have unlimited right now). Why I still want to use Verizon phone becuse I do travel over seas often and still need that unlocked capability and only Verizon seems to have that.

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Iphone questions are supposed to be posted in the Netbooks, Tablets and Moble Devices Forum or the Apple IOS Subforum inside of the Previously Mentioned Forum just to let you know. As for your Question: Verizon Phones are only Unlocked if you make a Request to Verizon that it be Unlocked, and it will be Unlocked for Overseas Travel Only (Verizon has a Global Support Phone Number that you need to call before going Over Seas to get the IPhone Unlocked) and while you are Over Seas you are still required to Pay your Verizon Bill including any Roaming Charges you get while Using your IPhone Over Seas. Any other use of a Verizon IPhone 5 and/or 4S still requires Verizon Service as the IPhone uses CDMA For Talking on the IPhone (LTE is for Data Only on an IPhone 5).

You can't use a Verizon iPhone on Virgin Mobile in the USA since that uses Sprint's CDMA network. Your best bet would be to buy a AT&T one and use it on a MVNO and since it's GSM it can then travel the world too (getting it unlocked is an issue you said but there should be options for that).

• 3 weeks later...