iOS 6.0.1 is out

Yep, unless you've jailbroken previously and have saved your 5.x SHSH blobs; with the latter you can stitch this to the respective 5.x IPSW via Redsn0w and restore via iTunes.

Even that doesn't work. I used redsn0w to extract the shsh blob and stitch it to the ipsw but the restore failed with error 1604. Now it's stuck in recovery mode.

And now I'm on 6.0.1. Touch? Apple. You win this round.

And I'm back on 5.1.1. Suck it Apple.

Redsn0w has a downgrade feature built-in, so all those guides I was looking at are obsolete. I just had to put the iPod into DFU mode, load the ipsw and my blobs and it restored it back to 5.1.1. It's just restoring my backup now.

6.0.1 is just too heavy. On startup I had 8mb free RAM. This improved as I loaded apps, but only up to maybe 25-30mb. I had 75ish free with 5.1.1. Also there's about 20 additional background processes running compared to 5.1.1. I probably should have taken screenshots to keep exact figures, but the increase in memory usage and background processes is significant.

Redsn0w has a downgrade feature built-in, so all those guides I was looking at are obsolete.

I knew you'd figure it out, it's a nice feature of Redsn0w (Y)

What goodies are coming in 6.1

That's something that I could get in a lot of trouble for if I were to talk about the new features in 6.1 here, as it is actually under an Apple NDA.