A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8

Start8 is probably the second best to StartIsBack, but it was known to take up huge amounts of ram in Windows Explorer, at least for me. StartIsBack is the best since it's free and looks and acts JUST like Windows 7's Start Menu. I did wish I could have the Metro theme from Start8 so it'll look like it belongs there.

Yeah I would think Start8 would use a lot of RAM. As far as I can remember, Stardock software only makes changes in memory, at least that's what was stated years ago when WindowBlinds came out. I was under the impression they did stuff that way so there was no conflict with Microsoft cuz they're not actually altering anything. I could be wrong, that was many many years ago. I do remember WindowBlinds eating up a lot of resources though, but computers had less RAM in those days.

Start8 does have some nice features though, like how it can actually blend in nicely with the Windows 8 look.

But my choice probably would be StartIsBack.

Start8 is hardly using any RAM from what I can see in the Task Manager.

Hey @Asrokhel, why don't you update the original post with that new list?

I would, but for some reason neowin or IPB has a set time that you can go back and edit posts, so the original post hasn't be editable for a number of days now. It's a stupid restriction!

Start8 is hardly using any RAM from what I can see in the Task Manager.

How come you didn't post the amount then?

Also, the start menu isn't always showing on your screen like a visual style is, not to mention the fact that it's just a menu.

There would be a big difference between Start8 and WindowBlinds for RAM usage.

How come you didn't post the amount then?

Also, the start menu isn't always showing on your screen like a visual style is, not to mention the fact that it's just a menu.

There would be a big difference between Start8 and WindowBlinds for RAM usage.

There, does this make you feel better!

GKvaP.png

Yeah, the increased ram usage was happening in Windows Explorer not Start8 itself. Upon removing it, the problem disappeared. Been using StartIsBack ever since, and it's been great!

Hello,

Lenovo computers: Lenovo QuickLaunch for Windows 8

Samsung computers: Samsung Quick Starter (go to Samsung Windows 8 Upgrade Page and install the Windows 8 Software & Drivers Update Tool, which will then download the tool).

Personally, I'm starting to get used to the Start Screen, but I do see how a program to bridge the gap might be useful for some users until they become used to the new functionality.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What the hell has this got to do with the thread!

Hello Ashrokel,

Those two programs are manufacturer-specific replacements for the Start Menu under Windows 8. One is by Lenovo and one is by Samsung. Sorry if I was unclear about that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What the hell has this got to do with the thread!

And will only work on their PCs, so it has no place on this list.

######.

• Like 3

I used start8 for a while and thought it was good. However, I want to try and get used to Win8 the way it was meant to be by M$ as I help out other people witht heir computers and they wont have it.

I tried out Pokki https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

it looks AWESOME IMO, but it was a total resource hog and made my laptop slow as hell.

Anyone else tried it out?

Regardless if it was from a one post wonder, StartMenuPlus8 should not have been deleted from this topic, because it's still relevant.

StartMenuPlus8:

http://www.winok-msixray.com

Ah man, that is not only one ugly looking site, the Start menu this guy's created looks like something barfed up in 1997. What the heck!

Ah man, that is not only one ugly looking site, the Start menu this guy's created looks like something barfed up in 1997. What the heck!

+1!

That is the most ugly website I have seen for a long long time!

just...wow!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...