Star Wars Episode VII (Official Thread) (JJ Abrams Directs)

wonder how many lens flares will be in it.

That's the first thing that popped into my head when I heard JJ is directing, sad.

I'm kind of on the fence about Abrams directing. On one hand he did a really good job with Star Trek, and Into Darkness looks to be really good too. And on the other hand...lens flares and LOST.

I guess I will hold out on judging anything until a trailer or something concrete from filming comes to light.

I'm kind of on the fence about Abrams directing. On one hand he did a really good job with Star Trek, and Into Darkness looks to be really good too. And on the other hand...lens flares and LOST.

I guess I will hold out on judging anything until a trailer or something concrete from filming comes to light.

Like all of his other TV shows, he conceived Lost but his involvement became virtually nonexistent as time went on.

J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

?It?s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,? said Kennedy. ?J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.?

George Lucas went on to say ?I?ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He?s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn?t be in better hands.?

?To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor,? J.J. Abrams said. ?I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.?

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year?s Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm?s preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.

(http://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-wars-7/)

I'm not in favor of this. Abrams is not a good fit for Star Wars, at least it seems to me. He'll make another Star Trek or Lost out of it.

So he'll make a good move and or a good TV show? :)

Alias, Lost, and Fringe were awesome in at least their first two or three seasons, although they did lose steam and direction after he wasn't involved for some time.

After the horrible TNG movies, (and face it, the TOS cast's movies were never very good, except Wrath of Khan), the Star Trek franchise was dead without the Abrams reboot. As a long time Star Trek fan, I actually thought it was the best Star Trek movie.

My fear for the future of the Star Wars franchise was a Peter Jackson or someone similar directing it. At least you can be confident that with Abrams at the helm it will get the serious treatment that it deserves.

I do think he is the modern Rod Serling and Steven Spielberg wrapped into one.

I'm not in favor of this. Abrams is not a good fit for Star Wars, at least it seems to me. He'll make another Star Trek or Lost out of it.

I don't think he'll ruin Star Wars, I am looking forward to his vision, if it means quitting Star Trek then so be it but apparently he will still be producer at least on Star Trek

J.J. Abrams has just been named the director on the new Star Wars Episode VII movie and already we have a possible shooting location.

The Daily Mail is told from a source that battle scenes are thought to be filmed for Abrams' Star Wars at a quarry in the UK in Kent this Summer, which is next to where the BBC filmed episodes of Doctor Who.

Apparently the location is suitable for shooting alien planets and such, as that's what was used for Doctor Who.

Disney has set a 2015 release date for Star Wars, but a recent report indicates that J.J. Abrams might not stick with that date.

There's another possibility for the quarry location and it could be for Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy movie, as director James Gunn is set to begin filming in London this Summer, which has an August 1, 2014 release date of its own.

(http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/star-wars-episode-vii-begin-filming-summer-uk-battle-scenes)

I don't worry about Star Wars etc I just hate this bit of news because I believe it can and probably will get in the way of a 3rd Star Trek movie. The last thing I wanted was yet another long delay between them.

I don't worry about Star Wars etc I just hate this bit of news because I believe it can and probably will get in the way of a 3rd Star Trek movie. The last thing I wanted was yet another long delay between them.

Latest news if JJ will be "Producer" for ST3 and that Star Wars might not make the 2015 date either

• 2 weeks later...

johnnoble1.jpg

This is sketchy - basically just the word of one Radio show host - but we haven't had any casting rumors for Star Wars Episode VII yet so what the Hell! On morning radio (Fox FM) in Melbourne Australia, the hosts were discussing yesterday's confirmation of the standalone Star Wars movies when one of them (Jo) said she "has it on very good authority that Aussie actor John Noble will be appearing as the villain".

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=73847

Id love to see at least one film dedicated to the Sith perspective ,proper dark side ...killing jar jars by the 1000s. Make him an anti-hero , then the next film put him against the Jedi and let us make up our own minds who we wish to follow.

Never happen , but that's what I want to see.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...