What the hell has happened to arch linux?

Yet for those of us Arch users who actually read the instructions - there wasn't an issue.

In terms of switching over to systemd, yeah probably.

In terms of this release of gnome in STABLE, NOT TESTING, there are loads of issues I've pointed out lots of times still present on a BRAND NEW install.

Sorry I really couldn't care less what planet you're from, if you install something that's 'stable' and it has missing icons, broken features and these are features you use EVERY SINGLE DAY it is NOT STABLE.

+1 to everything jaylittle said.

I updated and configured systemd before I rebooted and didn't have an issue. I also check the news page frequently to stay informed.

That being said; I run 2 boxes with arch linux. One with gnome 3 in fallback mode and one with xfce. I'm probably going to remove gnome 3 and install xfce.

That being said; I run 2 boxes with arch linux. One with gnome 3 in fallback mode and one with xfce. I'm probably going to remove gnome 3 and install xfce.

Similiar to my new idea, remove gnome and get lxde or whatnot on it instead.

As far as I'm concerned if an update is pushed to the stable branch of any OS, it's the vendor's problem if it breaks the OS, not the user's. If an update can brake people's systems it should not be offered.

Exactly correct!!

Exactly why Linux will NEVER be my main OS. They have broken stuff so many times with their untested updates, I can't count that high!!

Exactly correct!!

Exactly why Linux will NEVER be my main OS. They have broken stuff so many times with their untested updates, I can't count that high!!

Well if you run a regular end user distro and not a rolling distro, it will only "break" stuff during big updates, same as XP->Vista->7->8

Another bug with gnome, today's the 8th of November (and it displays then when I hover over the time/date applet) yet click it and it shows today as being 8th December, click a date and it goes back to October... Just purely awful. Gnome and arch should both be ashamed.

Another bug with gnome, today's the 8th of November (and it displays then when I hover over the time/date applet) yet click it and it shows today as being 8th December, click a date and it goes back to October... Just purely awful. Gnome and arch should both be ashamed.

Not sure how Arch should be ashamed.. it's a gnome bug. It's probably a localization issue of some sort. Is this with gnome shell? or? I run cinnamon and my date/time is correct.

It might be a bug with gnome but the concept is why is such a buggy release on gnome in arch stable! That's my gripe, by all means have it in testing but having something that can't even get the right month under stable...

I've not got gnome-shell, it's gnome 3.6 in fallback mode, I tried mate on my laptop earlier and it shows the month fine, and now on my desktop it's got the same december bug.

Gnome is in the stable Arch because Gnome released it as stablet. and since Arch is a rolling cutting edge distro, they put stable gnome releases in their stable releases.

For what it's worth, I just logged into Gnome 3.6 on my box and I'm not seeing any of the issues mentioned by the OP.

[1] Sound works great - no popping.

[2] Date displays correctly

[3] Volume Applet works great and using the trackpad scroll to change it works wonderfully

[4] Settings panel icons look just fine to me. This is on a 1366x768 screen.

Yeah so while I don't imagine many Arch people are using Gnome (I personally only have it installed due to the fact I use Cinnamon and Cinnamon requires it), Gnome 3.6 seems to be working fine on my box. It seems to me that the OP is suffering from other problems. Can't say I much care for Gnome 3.6 though. The fact they removed the menus from Nautilus is just... disturbing. Oh well. That's what Nemo is for :)

Exactly correct!!

I love Linux and still play around with it, but no longer as my main OS. It's not worth the trouble to me.

For what it's worth, I just logged into Gnome 3.6 on my box and I'm not seeing any of the issues mentioned by the OP.

[3] Volume Applet works great and using the trackpad scroll to change it works wonderfully

Yeah so while I don't imagine many Arch people are using Gnome (I personally only have it installed due to the fact I use Cinnamon and Cinnamon requires it), Gnome 3.6 seems to be working fine on my box. It seems to me that the OP is suffering from other problems. Can't say I much care for Gnome 3.6 though. The fact they removed the menus from Nautilus is just... disturbing. Oh well. That's what Nemo is for :)

I have the issue where my desktop/apps don't retain their settings. I have to open gnome-tweak-tool and toggle the "Let file manager manage desktop" option off, then back on in order to get it to look correctly. I also have issues where the terminal will just be a black screen. I have found little work arounds for those, but I don't have any of the crazy issues people are seeing. Like the poster above.. I only have gnome installed for cinnamon's use of it.

1) Popping noise? No, the login screen sound I removed in gnome 3.4 has came back and you can't get rid of it, I'm using GDM so if you're not I don't know if you'd hear it or not but it is DEFINATELY THERE, I did a brand new fresh install on my laptop earlier, deleting the ogg sound files does nothing and the only way to silence it is turn off event sounds which also turns off the sound you here when you change volume which I want to keep and could do quite easily with gnome 3.4.

2) See attached pic of when I click the date.

3) Using mouse wheel it's completely buggy, using a synaptics touchpad it doesn't even move at all.

Snipped

post-160466-0-73548100-1352427287.png

1) Popping noise? No, the login screen sound I removed in gnome 3.4 has came back and you can't get rid of it, I'm using GDM so if you're not I don't know if you'd hear it or not but it is DEFINATELY THERE, I did a brand new fresh install on my laptop earlier, deleting the ogg sound files does nothing and the only way to silence it is turn off event sounds which also turns off the sound you here when you change volume which I want to keep and could do quite easily with gnome 3.4.

I've heard the sound, and I am not using gdm. Sounds like a water drop or something

2) See attached pic of when I click the date.

Strange, must be a gnome issue.. not seeing that on Cinnamon.. it's date applet is showing everything spot on.

3) Using mouse wheel it's completely buggy, using a synaptics touchpad it doesn't even move at all.

Again, must be gnome.. Scroll is working 100% properly for sound adjust with cinnamon. Tested slow and fast scroll not lag, no jumps.

Yep it's a water drip, ironically the gnome 3.4 file (which is still included in gnome-control-centre) is drip.ogg! But now they must build it into applications which is a complete joke.

Scroll works perfectly in everything else it's just the audio volume click when clicked or hovered over it's messing up in.

I think they probably are all gnome bugs/problems. GTK2 applications I think ? look awful for example in gnome 3.6, people say switching themes helps but the default official themes that come with gnome 3.6 should support ALL GTK2 and GTK3 applications fine, it's a real hash of a release and maybe if it does drive people away from gnome to other DE's such as cinnamon and mate and xfce it'll be for the best.

Yep it's a water drip, ironically the gnome 3.4 file (which is still included in gnome-control-centre) is drip.ogg! But now they must build it into applications which is a complete joke.

Scroll works perfectly in everything else it's just the audio volume click when clicked or hovered over it's messing up in.

I think they probably are all gnome bugs/problems. GTK2 applications I think ? look awful for example in gnome 3.6, people say switching themes helps but the default official themes that come with gnome 3.6 should support ALL GTK2 and GTK3 applications fine, it's a real hash of a release and maybe if it does drive people away from gnome to other DE's such as cinnamon and mate and xfce it'll be for the best.

I went with Cinnamon right from the get go, wasn't a fan of the Gnome Shell.. I wanted to have the desktop feel which unfortunately many DE's are straying from.. cinnamon has the nice gnome2 feel, but the flexibility of 3. I have some visual bugs, that are corrected with gnome-tweak-tool. For example.. everything is blocky and looks really...old..unthemed basically, until I do the desktop toggle (which I have to do each boot), once I do that it all looks smooth, and the themes seem to apply.

So while I am experiencing issues, I've been able to avoid most by using Cinnamon. And for the record I run "yaourt -Syyu --aur" every day, so I am pretty much always 100% up to date.

Attached is a pic of the Gnome Calendar Applet. Please take note of the volume control in the upper right hand corner.

So after running orage - it seems clear that while your applet appears similar it isn't orage. After some digging it appears that the applet you are running is actually the calendar applet included with MATE, not Gnome <sigh>

Go into your terminal and type "sudo pacman -S gnome-applets" - That will remove mate-applets as both cannot be installed at the same time. That will likely solve 99% of the complaints you have made. Next time if you are going to install Gnome - be sure that you have installed and are using the appropriate Gnome applets before talking trash. So... are we done here or are you going to insist on digging this hole some more?

post-5903-0-72143600-1352458335.jpg

Actually - lol, it's not just gnome's DE that's got date problems, they're posting in the future.

http://news.gnome.org/

"August 07, 2013 05:31 PM" but the link leads to 2012-20-07...

Anyway, the missing icons is a bug that's been found in the default gnome theme, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1190202

I'm using GDM - I have no popping sound.

It's not a "popping" sound. It's like a "drip" sound, it's a proper sound.. it happens whenever I try and delete too much (like windows ding noise) or if I tab to something not existing. It's an annoying sound.. and 100% there google it and see how many people are complaining about it. Your sound is also set to off (as shown in the picture), so that's why you probably can't hear it.

It's not a "popping" sound. It's like a "bloop" sound, it's a proper sound.. it happens whenever I try and delete too much (like windows ding noise) or if I tab to something not existing. It's an annoying sound.. and 100% there google it and see how many people are complaining about it. Your sound is also set to off (as shown in the picture), so that's why you probably can't hear it.

Humm I don't have it play then at all, try going to /usr/share/sounds/gnome/alerts and renaming the drip.ogg to something else, rebooting and see if you still hear them then? You'll still hear it on GDM though.

I'm currently replying from links because of yet another gnome bug, was experiancing it on my laptop yesterday but not my desktop pc but now I'm getting it there, login goes fine then it goes to what the switch user login form looks like 'user: currently logged in' and just stays like that, it doesn't open gnome-session or anything, I can click cancel and login again but it does the exact same thing until a restart whereby it might or might not happen again. Now I'm pretty ****ed off with gnome, how can something as fundamentally basic as a simple login form be this buggy and unstable? No wonder new users won't stick with linux if this is the kind of things they're seeing, gnome 3.4 was rock solid, 3.6 has been nothing but a public alpha release labelled as complete.

Humm I don't have it play then at all, try going to /usr/share/sounds/gnome/alerts and renaming the drip.ogg to something else, rebooting and see if you still hear them then? You'll still hear it on GDM though.

Renamed it.. rebooted, still making the sound. Just go into terminal, hit tab (without typing anything), and it makes it.

Renamed it.. rebooted, still making the sound. Just go into terminal, hit tab (without typing anything), and it makes it.

Nope I don't have that, see this is from gnome 3.4 when I got rid of the alert sounds without affecting the volume up/down sounds! Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it. https://wiki.archlin...PC_Speaker_Beep might help?

Ah yeah, I put this in my /etc/profile near the top;

setterm -blength 0

Also 'beep' is muted in alsamixer (run it from a terminal and switch to the actual sound card using F6 if you're using pulseaudio or whatnot)

EDIT: I've collated the bugs that I remember from the thread and put them here;

gnome-clock/calender bug - unfixed

GTK2 theme problems - unfixed

gnome fallback items missing - proposed fix not updated in gnome/arch yet

startx/xinit not working - unfixed

random login failures - unfixed

random widget borders - unfixed

gnome login sound - unfixed

systemd static network setup - has been updated on arch wiki

gnome volume adjust using mouse wheel - unfixed

cinnamin/gnome desktop handling coloures messed up - unfixed

gnome-tweak-tool change current theme not working - unfixed

Edited by n_K

Nope I don't have that, see this is from gnome 3.4 when I got rid of the alert sounds without affecting the volume up/down sounds! Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it. https://wiki.archlin...PC_Speaker_Beep might help? Ah yeah, I put this in my /etc/profile near the top; setterm -blength 0 Also 'beep' is muted in alsamixer (run it from a terminal and switch to the actual sound card using F6 if you're using pulseaudio or whatnot) EDIT: I've collated the bugs that I remember from the thread and put them here;

gnome-clock/calender bug - unfixed

GTK2 theme problems - unfixed

gnome fallback items missing - proposed fix not updated in gnome/arch yet

startx/xinit not working - unfixed -> I use StartX all the time, no problems.

random login failures - unfixed

random widget borders - unfixed

gnome login sound - unfixed

systemd static network setup - has been updated on arch wiki

gnome volume adjust using mouse wheel - unfixed

cinnamin/gnome desktop handling coloures messed up - unfixed

gnome-tweak-tool change current theme not working - unfixed -> Working 100% correctly for me

startx is working for you? Can you open a terminal in gnome and run startx and see what the output is? Before I'd get a new blank X session but now all I get is;

<usual X.org messages>

Initializing built-in extension DRI2

Loading extension GLX

Fatal server error:

no screens found

(EE)

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support

at http://wiki.x.org

for help.

(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.

(EE)

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

xinit: giving up

xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused

xinit: server error

([ 2097.370] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 9600 GT (G94) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

[ 2097.370] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes

[ 2097.370] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 62.94.0d.00.02

[ 2097.370] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X

[ 2097.370] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU

[ 2097.373] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): EVO Push buffer channel allocation failed

[ 2097.373] (EE) *** Aborting ***

[ 2097.373] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to allocate EVO core DMA push buffer

[ 2097.373] (EE) *** Aborting ***

[ 2097.373] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen 0)

Also if you open gnome-tweak-tool and go to theme and change the bottom one, 'Current Theme', that works? Here it does nothing, maybe they've modified it so it only changed gnome-shell themes, only changing GTK+ themes does anything. If I use gtk-chtheme then it all works fine.