Surface Wireless Issue?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfnetwork/surface-wireless-connections-going-limited/1c297928-d42d-484e-84ca-ad5d9fcd6926

Basically the wireless connection would go into "limited" randomly (which actually means "can't connect to anything at all") and you have to manually reconnect to get it to work again.

I've seen a similar issue where the wireless disappears but it's still visible in Device Manager.

wow, why is it that the second a new device is released, bugs that should have been instantly found and fixed before release, appear for the average joe ?

Not just talking about MS, seems almost every new device regardless of manufacturer / company, has this happen, do people actually test their devices any more ?

wow, why is it that the second a new device is released, bugs that should have been instantly found and fixed before release, appear for the average joe ?

Not just talking about MS, seems almost every new device regardless of manufacturer / company, has this happen, do people actually test their devices any more ?

Seems it's a common occurrence now a days. My guess it that the head boss (ususally CEO or division head) is so eager to get the device out the door that they skip on many many parts of device testing hoping it'll be fixed in a "patch" or "OTA". The problem with this is, the users initial impression sticks with the average joe - just look at Vista for an example (bad example I know as I personally never had many issues with it).

FIRST IMPRESSIONS COUNT!

This is bad as well as the ppl that wanna.try to run x86 programs and will be returning surfaces that aren'taware of diff btwn windows rt and windows 8

This is bad as well as the ppl that wanna.try to run x86 programs and will be returning surfaces that aren'taware of diff btwn windows rt and windows 8

What does that have to do with this wireless issue?

I too experienced this issue, but only on my home's wifi. Turning the router to just G only fixed the issue. :-\

Not ideal but a good bandaid. Haven't experienced the issue on the other wifi networks I've tried, just at home.

What does that have to do with this wireless issue?

Consumer ignorance is not a problem with the surface. Microsoft make it plain on the surface website that the RT can only run apps downloaded from the store. If people choose to ignore that, or not do any research before spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on a piece of premium technology, then they are at fault here. Not Microsoft.

Anyway, back on topic... I've had a couple of issues with surface so far. Both I'm sure will be fixed in updates...

Firstly, with metro apps vanishing entirely after an update of them stalled and I killed the store app. The games app for example said it was installed in the store, but it wasn't in the all apps list, and search wouldn't find it. Microsoft support had me do a refresh which fixed the issue for me, and kept all my pinned apps, etc in place. Pretty neat system that refresh thing :)

Secondly, and relating to this topic, all my wireless connections just vanished and I couldn't see any wireless networks in range even after a reboot. The adapter was showing normal in device manager and in network connections. In the end I had to remove the device in device manager (making sure NOT to remove the driver), and have it re-detected. All my networks then re-appeared. I'm sure the refresh thingy would've sorted it out too.

Lastly, every time I do a refresh it removes ALL the windows updates from the machine, including the update to Office 2013 RTM. I hope Microsoft patches the recovery image at some point down the line so the baseline that refresh goes back to includes office final.

Touch wood, it's been ok since with no further problems.

I've noticed the wireless issue, the wierd thing is that it showed the disabled icon on the lockscreen but a reboot fixed it. Seemed to happen after updates were installed so maybe they updated either the adapter firmware, the drivers or both and that caused it to lose the wireless connection.

However, it's been working perfectly since the reboot and is currently downloading a movie through Xbox Video.

Ive had this. You can tell its software. So ive been patiently waiting for a fix.

well on the thread i linked the OP said MS is working on it. how are you certain that it's software? isn't it also possible (albeit unlikely) that there's a bug with the controller itself?

I've noticed the wireless issue, the wierd thing is that it showed the disabled icon on the lockscreen but a reboot fixed it. Seemed to happen after updates were installed so maybe they updated either the adapter firmware, the drivers or both and that caused it to lose the wireless connection.

However, it's been working perfectly since the reboot and is currently downloading a movie through Xbox Video.

for me it has mostly been when i was browsing in IE, although it did happen at least once when I was not. it's happened randomly and i haven't figured out a pattern yet. there has not been an update to anything related to the wireless as far as I can tell.

Consumer ignorance is not a problem with the surface. Microsoft make it plain on the surface website that the RT can only run apps downloaded from the store. If people choose to ignore that, or not do any research before spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on a piece of premium technology, then they are at fault here. Not Microsoft.

Anyway, back on topic... I've had a couple of issues with surface so far. Both I'm sure will be fixed in updates...

Firstly, with metro apps vanishing entirely after an update of them stalled and I killed the store app. The games app for example said it was installed in the store, but it wasn't in the all apps list, and search wouldn't find it. Microsoft support had me do a refresh which fixed the issue for me, and kept all my pinned apps, etc in place. Pretty neat system that refresh thing :)

Secondly, and relating to this topic, all my wireless connections just vanished and I couldn't see any wireless networks in range even after a reboot. The adapter was showing normal in device manager and in network connections. In the end I had to remove the device in device manager (making sure NOT to remove the driver), and have it re-detected. All my networks then re-appeared. I'm sure the refresh thingy would've sorted it out too.

Lastly, every time I do a refresh it removes ALL the windows updates from the machine, including the update to Office 2013 RTM. I hope Microsoft patches the recovery image at some point down the line so the baseline that refresh goes back to includes office final.

Touch wood, it's been ok since with no further problems.

wow that's a lot of issues. the only issues I've ran into so far aside from the wireless has been lag & crashed apps but I suspect it's because of poor optimization on the app's part. the default apps work just fine and i switched from the laggy one to a different one that does the same thing and the new one works much better.