Microsoft to retire Windows Live Messenger in favor of Skype

The problem I have with skype is there is no A-Patch for it, and according to their site, they are not going to be doing one for it either

As a user I'm quite happy using Facebook for my communication. From a business POV however I wouldn't like a scenario in which my data is under someone else's control. I can't see Facebook replacing most business email any time soon.

Having now switched, Microsoft appear to have gotten foolishly ahead of themselves.

There's basic WLM functionality just not in Skype, such as nudges. offline Facebook messaging, and Hotmail e-mail notifications.

hmmmmmm - odd decision!

This was my opinion on the matter the whole time, the complete lack of features in Skype it'll only serve to push people to more

mature clients after they try Skype instead of WLM.

But I am also sure there will be a hack to change the client ID for the last version of WLM to allow it to logon, it should be a simple

enough hexedit to change the client ID, but that will only delay WLMs shutdown, but it'll give those people using WLM and MS more

time to get Skype's features closer in line to what they expect from the WLM service currently.

Of course they could pull a Windows 8 and tell us less features and basic look/functionality is better and that we're wrong for not

liking it. :shifty:

This was my opinion on the matter the whole time, the complete lack of features in Skype it'll only serve to push people to more

mature clients after they try Skype instead of WLM.

But I am also sure there will be a hack to change the client ID for the last version of WLM to allow it to logon, it should be a simple

enough hexedit to change the client ID, but that will only delay WLMs shutdown, but it'll give those people using WLM and MS more

time to get Skype's features closer in line to what they expect from the WLM service currently.

Of course they could pull a Windows 8 and tell us less features and basic look/functionality is better and that we're wrong for not

liking it. :shifty:

They'll move to a more "mature" client? Becuz Skype doesn't do the kiddie stuff that WLM does, like winks and nudges? That's hilarious.

They'll move to a more "mature" client? Becuz Skype doesn't do the kiddie stuff that WLM does, like winks and nudges? That's hilarious.

BUT MA GIANT PURPLZ FONT, I NEEDS IT!!1111

Git ta fook.

The fact that I can see up to 10x more actual text in conversations without being distracted by backgrounds or flashy fonts is one of the primary reasons why I support this change.

Git ta fook.

The fact that I can see up to 10x more actual text in conversations without being distracted by backgrounds or flashy fonts is one of the primary reasons why I support this change.

Skype's contact grouping is almost non-existent compared to WLM's. Without that functionality, I just won't use Skype.

I didn't mention those features at all, now did I, the only deal breakers for me are really just offline messaging, remote assistance and file transfering.

And since you mentioned 'becuz' I wouldn't mind seeing a built in spellcheck added.

Git ta fook.

I don't know who you've been talking to on WLM that sets their background images and text like that, but that's a class of friends issue

And a plus on the client, since it actually allows you to set crap like that.

I didn't mention those features at all, now did I, the only deal breakers for me are really just offline messaging, remote assistance and file transfering. And since you mentioned 'becuz' I wouldn't mind seeing a built in spellcheck added.
Offline messaging on WLM is crap compared to Skype, and you also cannot send files to contacts that are offline. That's a deal breaker for me.

Remote Assistance works better if it's done via TeamViewer or similar apps :)

Getting WLM's RA to work is a pain in the arse.

I don't know who you've been talking to on WLM that sets their background images and text like that, but that's a class of friends issue And a plus on the client, since it actually allows you to set crap like that.
How the baws is that a plus on the client? It has no purpose being in a chat client, and certainly not displayed to other people.
Skype's contact grouping is almost non-existent compared to WLM's. Without that functionality, I just won't use Skype.

Really?

I can create new contact groups, just like WLM. I don't see a single difference :huh:

Whenever I used Skype as an IM client I found it pretty unreliable. I hope Microsoft put some funds into improving it. Skype was definitely a better VOIP client but I feel MSN was a better IM client.

My guess would be that they'll either put skype into it in place of MSN, or simply remove MSN from it. I can't see them retiring them all.